First Pontoon: 2018 Bennington 23SSBXP....Can't Wait!

Devin

Reaction score
Hello All,

First off, thank you! I have been reviewing many posts on this forum in preparation for my new Bennington purchase. Below is our build sheet which was sent in on 2/26/18. We are hoping for a delivery prior to Memorial Day but the dealer didn't have an update as of yesterday. The only "add" we are doing is an extra post base up front. We are currently debating the installation of Ultra Legs at a $7,000 cost since we will be in a wet slip with no ability to put in a lift.

2018 Bennington 23SSBXP
Panel: Smokey Granite
Accent: Metallic Sorrel
Evinrude G2 150HO DPS
Porta Potti
In Floor Storage (3rd Tube)
Kicker KMC10
Striker 4 Graph
Swingback Stern Lighted Speakers
Stereo Remote Swingback
Heavy Duty Rub Rail
Privacy Option
Battery - Dual Switch
Stainless Dock Lights
Ski Tow Bar
SPS
Blackout
Pop Up Cleats
Reclining Helm Chair with Bolster
Mid-America PT22T Trailer

Attached are examples of the colors we chose.

Attachments

• Pontoon-Boats-sxp8-Bennington-1920x1080.jpg
    Pontoon-Boats-sxp8-Bennington-1920x1080.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 113
  • Pontoon-Boats-sxp9-Bennington-1920x1080.jpg
    Pontoon-Boats-sxp9-Bennington-1920x1080.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 109
Congrats and looks to be a beautiful boat. You'll love it. One additional thing to consider is adding Sharkhide. I originally wanted it and my dealer talked me out of it. I went ahead and applied it myself once the boat was delivered and I'm so glad I did. I have a couple of buddies who have since had their tubes cleaned and Sharkhide applied but up to that point they looked really cruddy. Mine have held up very well so far. Mine doesn't sit in a slip but it's super easy to wipe down once the boat is out of the water and on the trailer. The stuff does work.

Congrats and welcome! Nice build.

Welcome aboard! Gonna be a sweet ride!!

Nice vessel you have picked out! You're in for a real treat to say the least. Personally, I'd wait on the ultra legs to see if it really is something you'll want/need. They can always be added down the road but kind of expensive to get rid of. If you want to keep the toons looking nice, Randy's suggestion is spot on but also know there is a 3M product out that is a clear film that looks quite promising as well. Remember to post some pictures...

Congrats on the build, you'll love it!

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. You made the right decision buying a Bennington. You didn’t mention if you had experience in boating, if not I encourage you to take a boater safety course.

Congrats and looks to be a beautiful boat. You'll love it. One additional thing to consider is adding Sharkhide. I originally wanted it and my dealer talked me out of it. I went ahead and applied it myself once the boat was delivered and I'm so glad I did. I have a couple of buddies who have since had their tubes cleaned and Sharkhide applied but up to that point they looked really cruddy. Mine have held up very well so far. Mine doesn't sit in a slip but it's super easy to wipe down once the boat is out of the water and on the trailer. The stuff does work.

A good idea, I will check into the cost.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. You made the right decision buying a Bennington. You didn’t mention if you had experience in boating, if not I encourage you to take a boater safety course.

I have been boating since I was 14. This is my 6th boat. A great idea non the less as there is always more to learn.

Congratulations Devin. Search the forum for comments on Sea Legs and Ultra Legs as there seems to be pros & cons

Nice setup, I put a 200 Mercury on my 2018, 23 SSBXP,,, 45 mph WOT.

This is great knowledge. I was told to expect 41mph with the G2 150HO and 38 with Ultra Legs. Hopefully that is accurate.

This is great knowledge. I was told to expect 41mph with the G2 150HO and 38 with Ultra Legs. Hopefully that is accurate.

Not sure on the 38 number, although I don't have it so really just guessing,I would lean closer to the 35 number. Not super familiar with the ultra legs, but I seem to remember some that had the sea legs had a lot of problem with drag/resistance, and obviously the extra weight factor. I hope you do get 38, but don't be astonished if it doesn't get quite there. Once again, what the heck do I know!! Just going with my gut based on many previous conversations.

She'll be a beauty regardless!!

Not sure on the 38 number, although I don't have it so really just guessing,I would lean closer to the 35 number. Not super familiar with the ultra legs, but I seem to remember some that had the sea legs had a lot of problem with drag/resistance, and obviously the extra weight factor. I hope you do get 38, but don't be astonished if it doesn't get quite there. Once again, what the heck do I know!! Just going with my gut based on many previous conversations.

She'll be a beauty regardless!!

I hope that isn’t the case but I will certainly report my findings in May/June.

Congrats on the Benny!
In about 3 weeks I'll be finally picking up mine. It's the exact same boat as yours but with a 150 Merc 4 stroke. I had the Sea Legs installed so I'd be able to tell you fairly soon what kind of speeds to expect. From my experience with Sea Legs (this will be my 3rd boat with them) I'd say 35 mph is realistic. However, I have heard the 150hp G2 does perform more like a 175hp so 38 mph might be achievable.

Congratulations! You’ll love the boat. Sounds like a great order all the way around.

My thoughts are this on your performance expectations: We have a 2017 24’ SSBXP, 200 Merc Verado Pro. We top out at 42-44 with light load 1/3 tank. About 40-42 moderate load and 1/2-full tank of gas. I considered Sea Legs, and everything I researched, and others I heard from that had them, indicated a sizeable drop in speed due to both weight and water resistance hitting them underneath the deck.

The 150 is a GREAT motor, but till less than 200hp. I would be highly skeptical of the numbers your dealer is giving you about speed: particularly if you add the ultra-legs. I think you would be 31-35 with the legs from my research and talking to people last year. Without? Probably 38-42 mph depending on amount of gas, number of people, gear, etc...

Last edited:
Back