First Time Out on new SSX w/Mercury GT 115

I see. Know if ESP is the same way?

I see. Know if ESP is the same way?
Generally speaking ESP's are used with 25" shaft length engines, with the exception of most of the original Yamaha SHO's which were 20" due to the bass boat market. Yamaha has since offered 25" shafts on the VMAX 250 and 150, so I suppose you can order the ESP either way now.

Last edited by a moderator:
TomS, why would one order a 20" over a 25" or vice versa

TomS, why would one order a 20" over a 25" or vice versa
It used to be in the case of the 250 SHO that was all you could get, otherwise the 25" would be preferred as the powerhead is up higher, so less spray, easier access to top of engine, etc. With the sealing of today's engine covers it's really not so much an issue, but it doesn't hurt to get the engine up out of the wash.

What a difference the correct prop makes. Dealer installed a PT OFSR14PCL200 and that resolved all of the issues I was having. Boat now performs great. Gets up on step very quickly. No more hitting the rev limiter. It was a pleasure to drive this week. Now we can enjoy our new Bennington. FYI.... My lower end is a 13x31 with a 2.38:1 ratio. The sales person showed me the lower end they would normally put on the 115 CT which is much smaller. But in my case they went with a "beefier" lower end. Correct prop make all of the difference. Thanks for all of the help......steve

What a difference the correct prop makes. Dealer installed a PT OFSR14PCL200 and that resolved all of the issues I was having. Boat now performs great. Gets up on step very quickly. No more hitting the rev limiter. It was a pleasure to drive this week. Now we can enjoy our new Bennington. FYI.... My lower end is a 13x31 with a 2.38:1 ratio. The sales person showed me the lower end they would normally put on the 115 CT which is much smaller. But in my case they went with a "beefier" lower end. Correct prop make all of the difference. Thanks for all of the help......steve
Most excellent! Enjoy your new Benny  :)

Glad it all worked out for you!  Once again, the world of props is a strange place.  For sure.

Post some pics.  Many of us don't get to see the new boats except through pics from the new members.

Last edited by a moderator:
Propping boats is an " I think this should work" more than an exact science.  Glad it is working now. 

Back