Fishing Thread (enough about boats)

I've only been out there once and it was freezing cold. I'm dying to go out on ours tonight. Probably won't have any poles on board though. Soon enough i'll get into some (hopefully) big pike and post some pics.
Where do you go for pike? I would love to find a good location for them and get my boys hooked up on a couple. I can see and hear them now, OMG OMG DAD THE THING IS AS BIG AS A SHARK!!!!

Is that The Mud Shark ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Our lake is stocked with them every other year from by the DNR so I'm told. I caught this one a couple years ago in front of the house. They are bigger ones than this in our lake. I would say the average is about 20" but I typically catch more pike than bass in our lake.
100_1871_zps137cc691.jpg

What lake is that Andy? I might have to come over and make a visit.

Thompson Lake in Howell. It is about 30 minutes from Tipsico. You'll need to get a pass from the rec center to use the launch though. It is not a DNR ramp.

Can you eat the northerns? Where I fish up in Canada, we have muskie, no pike, and they taste terrible. Just let them go. Oh, and last year they changed the size limit to 40" to keep the muskie.

I don't eat them but a neighbor does. I'm a big catch and release guy.

I eat Northern Pike, it is actually very sweet but they have A LOT of very small bones in them so be careful!

My aunt used to boil the muskie and then we'd dip it in cocktail sauce, it wasn't TOO bad then. :)

I have never personally caught or eaten a Muskie. I would love to go fishing for them sometime though! I can only imagine how much fun they must be given their size.

They are so much fun to catch. They put up such a fight that some of them die in the process. They are a tough, tough fish.

The last time my dad and my best friend's dad fished together before they past away. Will never forget the fun we had.

This was my boat we caught them on and the next year, I traded it in for our new Bennington. Kids were tired of the tournament fishing series and wanted something to tube and hang out at the beach and swim from. Their feet hurt from hours on the non skid decking. Owned the boat for 12 years and not 1 issues with her. Don't regret 1 minute of trading her for the Bennington. Bennington pontoon boats ROCK. Especially the 150 gallon fuel tank with a old school 2 stroke 250hp outboard. Max best cruise was 2 mpg at 35mph. Top end was near 50mph burning nearly 34 gallons per hour on the floscan fuel monitor

What is your favorite species to fish for?

Walleye

1. What is your favorite method of going after them?
    Trolling Rapalas
  2. What are some of your most tried and true tips?
    Following Rapalas trolling dive charts to set up running depth
  3. What is your favorite lake?
    Erie
  4. Most memorable moment while fishing?
    We moved to OH from MN 5 years ago and I took my daughter (at the time was 11) with me and within the first 1/2 hour she reeled in a 30" 11# walleye which shattered my PB by 3" and 4#. I have a fishing partner for life! Oh yeah we had it mounted for her, she let's me keep it in my office once she had a plaque made for her Fish Ohio certificate which I was told had to be hung with the fish! :D

Great story Reel!

Very nice Reel Ax

Todd

Once again I'm always the net man! LOL!
29" caught on my Bennington maiden fishing voyage

Woot Woot. Great maiden voyage.

1. What is your favorite species to fish for? Walleye, Pike and anything else biting
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them?bottom bouncers and spinners Len thompson spoons
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips? troll the edges and drop offs
  4. What is your favorite lake? Calamus Burwell Ne
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing? So many ! taking my kids 8 and 6 on their first fishing trips

Heres the picture of the maiden voyage on our new boat. Several cats in the following days looking forward to getting up to the calamus to walleye fish.

Beautiful fish and boat there!!! I'm wishing we had the sps and 150! And the fish as well!

Back