Fishing Thread (enough about boats)

Nerosync

Reaction score
  1. What is your favorite species to fish for?
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them?
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips?
  4. What is your favorite lake?
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing?

1. What is your favorite species to fish for? Bass or pike
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them? structure
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips? A white skirt spinner bait with a double blade. Cabelas sells them, nothing fancy but I've caught my biggest smallmouth (21"), large mouth(23") and pike(32") on the same lure. No scale for weight...
  4. What is your favorite lake? Our lake (Thompson Lake) is stocked every other year with pike, there are some big ones too, 40+ inchers. I Love Glen lake though, crisp, clean and beautiful for small mouth
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing? When we were kids my sister caught a duct, damn hen swam up to her line as she was bringing her line out and nailed the worm, my grandma then grabbed the pole and swung the thing around until the kook came out. This was at the pier in Oscoda, everyone was watching but it was hilarious!

1. Small mouth bass: just can't beat the fight in those little critters!

2. Used to be small leopard frogs until Ontario outlawed their use. Now I use nice juicy leeches and they go into a feeding frenzy. :)

3. If using frogs or minnows, LET THE FISH RUN. They grab the bait but don't swallow it, they "run" away from the other fish. After one takes your bait wait at least 3 full seconds before setting the hook.

4. Jack Lake (or Jack's Lake depending on who you talk to) in Apsley, Ontario.

5. Using a frog and my new 'Carrot Stick' fishing rod. Got a run, waited 3 seconds, set the hook, and the fish kept going and snapped my rod in two. Man, wish I could have seen that one! Close runner up: any time fishing with my family (past and present, miss ya' Dad).

1. What is your favorite species to fish for? Bluegils, Bass, Pike, Salmon
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them? Hook and Bobber, Black Jitterbug with a yellow eye at night for bass and pike, river fishing for salmon in the fall
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips? I love surface fishing for bass and pike on a calm clear night when the water is like glass and you can hear them breech the surface as they crush your lure.
  4. What is your favorite lake? Rose Lake for bass and pike
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing? Night fishing at Rose Lake with my mother and friend. I thought I had hooked up on a decent bass only to find out I had reeled in a very large bullfrog. I ened up catching 3 of them that night!

Species: walleye

Method: trolling

Tips: when trolling crank baits (hot n tot, reef runners, bomber A's, etc) add a small chunk of night crawler to the front treble hook. This ensures marble eyes will hit front hook and possible bury 2nd treble hook for good measure

Lake: Saginaw Bay / lake huron

Memorable day: Many, but probably last day I fished with my dad before he passed away. Caught 4 man limit of walleye, lake trout and salmon out of grindstone city in the tip of thumb.

Todd

1. What is your favorite species to fish for? Anything biting
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them? nightcrawlers/bobber
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips? Hmmm.... my fly rod works great for sunnies......
  4. What is your favorite lake? Lake Marburg, Hanover, Pa.
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing? Probably not a moment, but when I was a really young boy 7 or 8 years old, we would get up real early, find nightcrawlers with flashlights, then my mom would take us fishing at the small reservoir near our house.

I don't really fish but I watch them under my dock and lift. This one and about 3 or 4 others easily 12" or more just hanging out under my Seadoo lift this morning. I have no idea what it is. We have bass, walleye, trout, lots of perch and bluegill, and a few pike.

And yes, the water in Clear Lake really is that clean. That's in about 3' of water. :)

I don't really fish but I watch them under my dock and lift. This one and about 3 or 4 others easily 12" or more just hanging out under my Seadoo lift this morning. I have no idea what it is. We have bass, walleye, trout, lots of perch and bluegill, and a few pike.

And yes, the water in Clear Lake really is that clean. That's in about 3' of water. :)
That would be a bass, a few more inches and he will be a nice one.

Wow Tom, no wonder they call it Clear Lake. there must be a reason for it such as a type of mineral in high concentration in the water that prevents algae growth or something. Can you enlighten us

Wow Tom, no wonder they call it Clear Lake. there must be a reason for it such as a type of mineral in high concentration in the water that prevents algae growth or something. Can you enlighten us
It's a spring fed natural lake with no major inlets and currents. We do have typical weedy areas but not a lot of floating algae. This time of year there aren't a lot of skiers and such to stir things up, so it stays pretty calm and settled. The residents are pretty good stewards of the watershed, and we have a conservancy that tries to buy up surrounding farmland. That way we can control farm runoff which is the biggest polluter other than the geese.

1. What is your favorite species to fish for? Largemouth Bass
  2. What is your favorite method of going after them? Fly lining live shad.
  3. What are some of your most tried and true tips? Never let the cooler run dry.
  4. What is your favorite lake? Lake Casitas, just because it's less than 10 minutes away.
  5. Most memorable moment while fishing? Didn't do any freshwater fishing while growing up so I learned as an adult. While out on a rental pontoon, one of my first casts resulted in tossing a brand new Fenwick rod and Shimano reel overboard. I paused just long enough to drop my phone then went over the rail after it still fully clothed. Swimming down through the murky water, I flailed my arms hoping to bump into my lost gear. Just about gave up but felt something about 15 feet down, grabbed it, and returned to the surface with my prize.

Doing some bank fishing the other morning I snagged a couple of Carp with nightcrawlers. Not a prestige fish, but a lot of fun to work with light tackle and 2 pound test line. It's strange, I've fished the same lake for ten years and never hooked a Carp, then caught two within 30 minutes of each other.

We call them River Rats or Lake Rats ....... Eat all the garbage off the bottom .... nasty fish !!!!

1. Usually panfish (bluegill, crappie, channel cats).

2. Pin-min under a bobber.

3. Fishing is more fun with my kids.

4. Salt Fork

5. Taking my boys fishing in Canada and at Salt Fork.

Got out on the lake last night, the water temps here are still only around 60 so the fish are just starting to come out of their slumber. Another week or so and they should be biting pretty good. Here are a couple of the highlights, biggest and smallest award both went to me.lol

20130515_205325.jpg

20130515_203733.jpg

Nice. Hopefully I'll get out soon and get some worth posting! Where do you boat around Holly?

That was on Tipsico Lake last night.

Watch that monster in the lower pic don't take your hand off !!! :lol:

You would have appreciated that lil fella Devil-Dog. He crushed my Rapala that I was using like he was a 8lber, which coincidentally was almost as big as he was. Immediately after the initial strike I thought to myself damn I missed it cause there was nothing. Then I felt a little wiggle in the line and pulled the monster in. Too much fun man, definite case of little man syndrome going on in that one.

He's just lucky the one in the top pic did not think he was the bait !!!!!

That was on Tipsico Lake last night.
I've only been out there once and it was freezing cold. I'm dying to go out on ours tonight. Probably won't have any poles on board though. Soon enough i'll get into some (hopefully) big pike and post some pics.

Back