Fun with reflector tape

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
Since we can only get our boat in the water via trailer, I wanted to increase the visibility of the back-end after dark because there's not a lot of lighting back there.
So I bought some DOT reflector tape on Amazon and had some fun!

trailer reflector tap.jpg

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
ever think about putting LED on the trailer?? After many V hull boats, I just (June 2020) purchased my 1st tritoon. plan to put LEDs in & out as i love boating/ fishing at night. also plan to run LEDs down the sides of the trailer. this thing will be visible!!!

ever think about putting LED on the trailer?? After many V hull boats, I just (June 2020) purchased my 1st tritoon. plan to put LEDs in & out as i love boating/ fishing at night. also plan to run LEDs down the sides of the trailer. this thing will be visible!!!

There are DOT regulations for trailer lighting and what you plan on doing will eventually get you a ticket when the right cop finally sees it. Plus by lighting it up too bright you can end up blinding yourself and your own view in your mirrors where you can’t see your own trailer. Adding reflective tape is not illegal and when headlights hit the stuff it lights up as darn near as bright as lights...

thank you - you make some great points that i hadnt thought of. i will check up on the DOT regs. Also, i guess i wasn't exactly clear about what i was thinking - i've seen trailers wih some relatively dim white lights on the sides of them - kind of running lights i guess. I thought maybe some LED strips facing downward might help the trailer be more visible without blinding anyone.

My neighbor parks a small black utility trailer in the street close to the intersection. His reflector tape has kept ME from hitting it coming around the corner at night. Lights aren't turned on 24x7.

yes, reflective tape is a great idea - thanks!

Back