Gas mileage on a Yahama

Tailgate

Reaction score
I have a new toon with a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha... I've only put 7.5 hours on the motor and the gas gauge has barely moved.... is the mileage these motors get really that good?  

ha!  Monday morning spelling challenged

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the Yamaha 50 on our 20SLi, and it really sips the fuel, seems like a tank full lasts a loong time.

As you get out and use it more, you will get a feel for how long it lasts.

Yeah, I am not sure either as I am just breaking in my Yamaha. So far about 10 hours on a 1/4 of tank. But that is doing full wot runs, along with putzing around the coast

Most likely the gauge . There are many posts here in regards to the gauges not being very accurate .

Hahahaha, yep with mixed usage I calculated about .9 GPH on my 115. Im not complaining, and wont either until I have to refill it. I would say that the gauge is probably slow to calibrate after 7.5 hours I would think it would move some that was noticeable. and what was the usage?

At 15mph you should use about 3 gallons per hour, that is great!

My tank is long and narrow and since the bow rides high, gas runs toward the back of the tank where the fuel sender is located. So, I burn 8 gallons before the needle even starts to move.

I have a new toon with a 70 hp 4 stroke Yamaha... I've only put 7.5 hours on the motor and the gas gauge has barely moved.... is the mileage these motors get really that good?  

ha!  Monday morning spelling challenged
Your 70 HP Yammy doesn't use much fuel but if your gauge is registering FULL all the time you may have a problem with the gauge or wire from sending unit to gauge.  This is exactly what happened on my new 2014 Bennington.  Dealer said the fuel tank was full (54 gal tank) but gauge didn't budge from Full reading after 9 hrs of use.  Found the wire from sending unit to gauge was shorted to ground and the wire had to be replaced.   Gauge works fine now.

I have a F70 on a 2275 GCW. Gas consumption seems to be very good. My boat is a 2014 with almost 40 hours now. The dealer really pushed this set up. At times I wish I had gone to the 115hp, however he told me I would only get 2-3 mph more out of it. Small lake, 1500 acres and for tha additional $ he won the discussion. Curious what boat and prop you have and what speed results you are getting. Best I have done is 20 mph gps. I have tried 2 props, 13 5/8 x 13 WOT 5150 RPM, and recently went to a Talon 13.5 x 10.5 with absolutely no change in results. 20 mph @ 5150 RPM. Only difference was about 80# more fuel this time. Expected to turn about 5800-6000 RPM and maybe see 22-23 mph. A little frustrated that there was no change. I have 2 25" tubes. Reading on here it doesn't like going to SS will do anything for a 70 hp set up. I do love the economy, particularly if fuel goes higher.

Well your dealer fibbed a little saying only 2-3. I was getting 24, almost 25 on my 90hp, and some with 115 are hitting over 30. But depending on your usage and needs, maybe all you really need is the 70.

That's always a possibility. The performance is really pretty good for a 1500 acre, 7 mile long lake. It was pretty flat today, two of us 3/4 tank and usual gear. With the new Talon 13.5 x 10.5 we hit about 4400 trimmed out. There's a little more there but just not sure what will squeeze it out. Love my boat and it really is more than adequate. Could trade up in engines but not sure how that would work out. Never had an outboard before. Was always an i/o guy. Ski boats and express cruisers. But I was on big water. From what I've read here a s/s doesn't sound like it will change anything on a 70hp.

You are correct, SS won't offer any performance gains. As I had said, based on what your needs were for the size of lake and usage, I'm sure you'll be fine! It's a great boat and you'll have lots of time to enjoy it because you won't always have to be working to afford to put gas in the tank like some of us! :D  

Just let mine go all the way down to just past E so I could gauge when I was in the danger zone for fuel. Just put 50 gallons in (gonna use the bulk of it tomorrow) well... There goes $200. :) a guy was filling his Harley at the same time and asked me if I'd fill him up too. I said sure, not gonna notice the difference in my bill. He said he gets 45 mpg so we figured it up and on 55 gallons he could drive to New York and Back (from North liberty Iowa) and have a full tank. I then said, sounds like fun. I usually take 8 to 11 people with me. ;)

We do enjoy it. I am not sure what the 115 would add. I figured the same boat the other day on line with 32" elliptical and a 115 thinking the economy would still be good and that I might see another 10 mph. Just not sure how I would come out in a trade. I want to put up a picture of the current boart, but the site says my picture is too big. I haven't figured out how to edit it yet. Found that hard to believe because I took it with an iPhone. Imagine if I had used a big camera.

Ouch! I LOVE my 70HP! I don't know if I could sleep at night putting in $200 and knowing it would be gone the next day. I have just over 40 hours for the season and have only put in $200. Getting ready to put a half tank on. Usually do that to keep weight down. I love looking at the Harley's but don't want to ride them in traffic. So risky, I want to keep my limbs for swimming off of my boat.

Back