Handling in Rough Water

plattkj18

Reaction score
I have searched the forums but have not found any good advice on how to handle a pontoon boat in rough water.     I have a 2275GCW with 2 elliptical pontoons and a 150 hp motor.    This is my first pontoon boat - previously a sailor and fiberglass motor boat owner.

While out on the harbor a few weeks ago, we got caught in a wind/tide change that had both the wind and the tide rolling at us head first.    We slowed down a lot and got lots of water over the bow and through the deck.   We also got a dented playpen from the waves.    I am wondering now if we should have sped up to stay more on top of the waves.

If anyone has suggestions on how to handle the boat better when conditions deteriorate I would love to hear them.    Otherwise I am a little apprehensive now about venturing very far (more than a 30 minute ride or so) from home because I don't want to get caught again and feel like I can't control the boat properly.

Thanks for any suggestions or sharing of your experience!

Kathy

You should always try to keep the front of the tubes above the waves. I made the mistake of slowing down once and never did it again. You will learn.

It is a learned thing to stay bow high. Glass power boats are the same challenge but have more freeboard and are a bit more forgiving. Sometimes speed is your friend, sometimes not. It depends. Shooting the gap in a following sea gets squirrelly. Wind and current in the same direction poses challenges. Big waves are a whole different pile of challenges. I might recommend a Power Squadron class on advanced boat handling. Some marinas also offer at-helm clinics by experienced captains. I have been asked (and obliged) many times to take out boat owners who were learning new situations, and teach them one on one.

Sometimes you will need to adjust your course to get your boat to ride properly over the waves.  As long as the waters are of a safe depth sometimes a straight line home is not the best course.  Other than that take a boating course with an instructor in your own boat. If that is not possible take your boat out on a windy ish day and practice close to home when you don't have to try and get somewhere.

I have found that slowing down as you reach the wave is the worst thing you can do as the bow drops allowing the wave to come into the boat.  I just keep it at my normal speed and try to hit the wave at a 90 degree angle

As an old sail captain my thought is to do as a sailboat has to do TACK. The boat will ride over the wave tipping some what but you'll reduce the straight on wave action. You'll get wet from the side splashing but you won't  bury the bow thus flooding the deck. Uncomfortable? YES  but it'll get you home.

I think a book I had said 45 degrees. I'll look it up later today.

This is a reason for us to retire on an inland lake. Less likelihood for stuff like this. I know even inland lakes can have big waves and wakes, just sayin.

No alligators either. Anyone know hour far south the gators start?

Oh, trim up too. When you gun the motor just before you hit the wave, it will help lift the bow more. May be obvious to most, just mentioning it.

No alligators either. Anyone know hour far south the gators start?
I've seen some articles lately they've found some that have migrated into southern Va.

Thanks to all of you for some great tips!   I only take the boat out on Charlotte Harbor in Punta Gorda, FL but there are times when it gets pretty choppy.    I will keep playing with it and trying the new ideas and see how it goes.

Thanks!

This right here is why I'm glad I have a tritoon and the rough water package on my boat (and it being 25').  Was in some very large inland lakes in northern Michigan and even Lake Huron itself.  No problems...even when the wind/waves were pretty nasty.

WIth basiclally the same boat as you (2275RCW with 150 Merc Optimax pro xs, and 32" elips), if confronted with large waves, tacking at a 30* to 45* seems to be the best method.  No waves over the bow.  And you do NOT want to take them head on.  That only a disaster to take the waves over the bow and dent your front gate.  Its like taking a offroad truck over a ditch or berm.  Even if you take them head on with high trim and keep the nose cones out of the waves, you will get caught in the trough or someting unless you move the throttle back and forth every few seconds.  Take it a angle that way you can keep your bow high and 1 tube rides high and you slide in and out of crests and troughs.

Hope this helps

Todd

Thanks for the info and correction, I will use the 45 degree angle this summer

It's best to always check the weather. Get marine forecast. They will give you the wind and alert you to small craft warnings, then heed those warnings. "STAY PUT"

The 45 degree seems a little much and it'll keep you in the waves longer, but stay above 30. If you haven't taken heed to the weather. Go to the nearest port and wait it out. Unless it's a big storm the wind will dye down in the evening.

Completely agree on taking those at 30-45 degrees as mentioned above.  I had my boat on Torch Lake in northern MI 2 summers ago.  Another group of people were taking their 25' Crest pontoon boat at the same time I was.  They didn't have a tritoon like mine though.  This lake is the largest inland lake in the state.  There were some serious waves that day due to the wind.  Anyway, the entire bow pannels/gate were dented in because they were in the middle of that lake and chose to take the waves head on.  They had 9 people on board however they insisted only 2 people were sitting toward the bow; the rest were closer to the stern...meaning they didn't have a ton of weight toward the bow to cause a submarine affect.  Felt bad for them cuz they said it was a brand new boat too.  They wanted to know how I made it through unscaved.  Told them that extra tube is everything in rough water.

Friend of mine was out in Lake Murray last summer in his 25 Benny. The wind came up and it was time to head in. The took the waves head on and while the waves broke over the bow and splashed in he took video. Water worked under the front gate and sloshed over the rug towards the stern. Got away with out damage this time. He was lucky. He showed me the video. We talked about it after, and he had to agree, he should have known better than to be out there and that he should have tacked. Lesson Learned

45 degrees is the generally-accepted-best-practice-angle to take big waves. It's officially called "quartering". If you do a google search for "quartering big waves" you'll get a ton of youtube videos, boating discussion threads, some BoatUS articles, etc.

Here is a great resource. I have read this book quite a few times.

I open it up every now and again just for fun. Especially in the winter - it's a great way to get a boating-fix. Highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-Small-Handling/dp/1588169618/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421266815&sr=1-1&keywords=chapman+piloting+seamanship&pebp=1421266866607&peasin=1588169618

45 degrees is the generally-accepted-best-practice-angle to take big waves. It's officially called "quartering". If you do a google search for "quartering big waves" you'll get a ton of youtube videos, boating discussion threads, some BoatUS articles, etc.

Here is a great resource. I have read this book quite a few times.

I open it up every now and again just for fun. Especially in the winter - it's a great way to get a boating-fix. Highly recommend.

http://www.amazon.com/Chapman-Piloting-Seamanship-Small-Handling/dp/1588169618/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1421266815&sr=1-1&keywords=chapman+piloting+seamanship&pebp=1421266866607&peasin=1588169618
I was taught the same thing and used this approach with success over the years with v-hull 'glass ski boats. What I've found with pontoons is you have to be very careful at angles, since the bow is 8.5' wide, flat, and low. Especially with only 2 toons, in a long trough, it's possible to dip just a corner, and you have a much more serious situation, even a potential capsize. With ESP I've never had an issue, but I'm on a tiny lake compared to most of you guys.

I had this same problem last year. Took a big wake when a large boat passed me going the opposite direction. I turned into the wake and stayed on the gas but the wake ended up coming over the front it dented the whole front fencing, blew the front door open and pushed the panel in the front door out of the frame. I took it to the dealership for repair and they said that it was pretty common in our area. (Destin, Florida) They had 4 other boats on the lot waiting for the same repair so I didn't feel so bad. I couldn't believe how much a repair like that cost... $2900. 

I'll definitely be taking the advice from you seasoned veterans, and try to stay clear of those larger boats too!

Thank you all for all the great information!

Back