Have a chance to buy a waterfront lot.......

Bummer! There's always a greedy one. :(

Bummer! There's always a greedy one. :(
We'll see what happens. 2 other waterfront lots in the same cove sold for less than that and they both had boat houses on them........

As a somewhat recent executor of my dad and step moms estate, I can say it is not a welcome burden. You have a responsibility to the estate to maximize its value since its to be distributed to all those in the will(s). You also have a million things to juggle at once, all the time, for 1-2 years. I can totally understand handing it off to a realtor, and letting them handle it.

All of that said, in this circumstance, I dislike that it is potentially pulling the rug out from under you on this particular deal. That parts no good. I just thought I’d point out it may be a far cry from greed, and more just trying to be a responsible, yet overwhelmed, executor of an estate.

Expensive side of the lake.:mad:

There is no cheap side to this lake unless you could time travel 30 years into the past. We just gave up looking for lake property as buying a lot and building the same house we had 250 yards from the lake was way to much for me.

As a somewhat recent executor of my dad and step moms estate, I can say it is not a welcome burden. You have a responsibility to the estate to maximize its value since its to be distributed to all those in the will(s). You also have a million things to juggle at once, all the time, for 1-2 years. I can totally understand handing it off to a realtor, and letting them handle it.

All of that said, in this circumstance, I dislike that it is potentially pulling the rug out from under you on this particular deal. That parts no good. I just thought I’d point out it may be a far cry from greed, and more just trying to be a responsible, yet overwhelmed, executor of an estate.

Jeff we totally understand. If they are able to get $450000 for the waterfront lot I'll be happy for them. The family has owned multiple lots in the neighborhood including the one our house is on. I don't blame them for getting as much as they can get for it.

We were just misinformed from the start resulting in getting our hopes up. We had already contacted the county inquiring about how many bedrooms the lot perced for and if the existing well was able to be used.........Contacted Duke energy if the existing dock was properly permitted and was able to be improved.........Contacted 3 builders about house plans and met them at the lot to discuss positioning of the house and septic area. We were getting our homework done so we could make an educated decision on a possible purchase. Unfortunately the price has drastically gone up (about $60000-$75000) and they are using a realtor......

That's a big chunk of change, if you can do it go for it but at our age the last thing I want to take on is debt

That's a big chunk of change, if you can do it go for it but at our age the last thing I want to take on is debt

Yes it is a Big chunk of change! Then you have to put a house on it. Same here don't want a mortgage......

That's why I'll most likely never own a lake front property. I've had my house paid off for about 7 years now, and I have been enjoying the extra money per month. I can drop the boat off at the ramp many times before I'd trade for a boat staying on the water all the time. There's always a trade off. I see boats that come out of the water after long periods, see that crap stuck all over the toons, and know I don't want to have to deal with that. But, there's not much better enjoyment than walking out on the back deck that overlooks a beautiful lake. Crap, I'd love to have a lake front!!!! @#&%!

I'm always baffled when someone willfully gets a realtor when there is a buyer already lined up. This happened to friends of ours. We knew the lady who owned the house, when she passed we told her daughter we had two couples that would be interested. She ignored us and listed it. One of our friends bought it and she screwed herself out of cash. Oh well.

Daril, that is a lot of money but, you can't take it with you. I know we love to spend each others money on here but at the end of the day you'll do what is right for you both. Good luck.

That $450,000.00 is $125,000.00 more than we paid for our house (and lot). And.......................our lot is flat.

That $450,000.00 is $125,000.00 more than we paid for our house (and lot). And.......................our lot is flat.

The market has changed since the 1800's Carl!!!!

That is rough to be that far into planning Dario. Just awful. I totally hear you on being misinformed. That is not good...or cool. My fingers remain crossed that some things come together, and it can work out for you still. I can only imagine how far into the possibility you guys were emotionally, to then have the rug potentially pulled out from under you.

The good thing about this whole situation is we already have an almost 3 year waterview from the front and back new house, mortgage free, directly across the street from the lake and access to another dock. Sure the waterfront lot /home would have been gravy but I am perfectly content where we are. My wife wanted it really bad but with the misinformation from the sisters and finding out how drastic the price has changed and now a realtor is involved when we were told that it would be a simple transaction between 2 party's..........It has just left a bad taste in our mouths. We'll see what happens......

Time to turn on the a-hole. When a potential buyer comes by walk out in your banana hammock and sun bathe by the street. Eventually the price will come down when it doesn't sell!

Time to turn on the a-hole. When a potential buyer comes by walk out in your banana hammock and sun bathe by the street. Eventually the price will come down when it doesn't sell!

Oh man just got a bad visual! Ha!

I know lakes close to large cities are expensive, however that is very expensive by any standards on southern lakes. A new house worthy of such a lot would be $450k or more.

Our lake house is on inherited land with 200' water frontage bought in 1946 for $4600. This is 2017, however.

Our house is at the mouth of a big creek overlooking the river channel 1.5 miles wide. We have a 6 mile sunset water view which is important to us. The quality of the water is also important, as we have a rock bottom with 55 foot water depth. We have a shopping center with groceries and two good restaurants 3 miles away. But our ace in the hole is two Robert Trent Jones golf courses (8050 yards) on our street.

It is also important when spending big money for a lot not to have massive dirt moving prior to building.

Last edited:
Back