Help block the 15% ethanol enrichment mandate

Done My part......

I guess I'm as much against this feel good mandate because it is a joke as I am against the whole process of mandates made into law by unelected bureaucrats--and with nothing to back it up but their own in-house "research". There is a big difference in the amount of energy in a given amount of each fuel. I know in my wife's Armada, driven here in the mountains, I lose 12-15% in mileage using the ethanol enriched fuel. The harder an engine is run, the more obvious the decrease in energy is. Boat motors are usually running in the top 1/3 of the power band, so the drop in mileage is significant. Also, it is my understanding from a friend that is a fuel distributor that the ethanol filler costs him the same as the gasoline, and the price bounces up and down with the OPEC oil price...how crazy is that? I guess you've noticed that 100% pure gas can cost .30 to .60 per gallon more than the ethanol enriched. He told me that the difference is mostly not markup by him and the dealers, but that it is taxes, tariffs, and penalties that are imposed to encourage us to use the enriched fuel.

As for forum participation, what you see here is probably the norm. My neighbor down the mountain is constantly complaining about the fuel---but when I asked him today if he had sent the email---nope, "not his thing" he said. I can assure you that only complaining and not taking action will result in absolutely nothing happening.

I think the general public just doesn't understand how big a farce ethanol really is, they just take for granted it's good for us because "people in the know" say it is.

I tell folks to think about this, the diesel powered tractor tills the soil, plants the seed, runs the spray rig for fertilizer and pesticide, then the diesel powered combine harvests and loads into a diesel powered truck to take the grain to the ethanol plant that runs off the electricity from the coal fired power plant, then loaded into a diesel powered transport or train.............Just how green is that?

Ethanol is for drinking, not driving!   :D

The only people that "benefit" from ethanol, are the farmers via govt. subsidies to grow corn ..... and of course all the mechanics who get paid to fix the issues.

Good point Andy ,some may have just signed up for the 7 year warranty .

There are more that 15 people who do regularly post though .

I just find it odd .
Guessing some filled out the form, but didn't report that they did so on the forum.

Done. Hope this is successful. I'm one who has a finicky motor. Three carbs. on the Merc. transferred from the trade in .Had rebuilt all three carbs.when I bought the new Benny. Runs great now and I'd like to keep it that way. I guess I'm luck I only have to travel 15 miles to get regular whole gas. It costs about $.50 a gal. More but if the motor runs trouble free, it's worth it. We're loosing our say bit by bit in this country and it's not just those we elect.

KEEP THIS GOING!

I have a 2006 Bennington with a 90 Yamaha and have been using 15% for 3 years, I have had no trouble at all.  If you talk to someone in favor of its use you get a different story than what is in this post. It's probably not as bad as suggested in this post, and not as good as what one hears from the other side.  They say the corn is used for cattle feed, which is what it would normally used for.

These may be  repeats . Price of beef is too high already .Save the corn for the cattle .

kuli48 said "I have a 2006 Bennington and a 90 Yamaha and I have been using 15% for 3 years"

That's interesting...it was just approved for use in June of 2013, and has been held up from use in about every state by lawsuits. Supposedly there are 24 outlets in 3 states selling E15, all in the Midwest. Are you mixing your own blend?

(Source: Edmunds.com, and several other sites)

I am in Iowa. I was just stating my experience with e85, I don't need or want to cause any problems. Just stating my experience. Have a good life.

No problem, but E85 is not the same as E15. E85 is 85% ethanol, blended only for FlexFuel vehicles. The maximum amount of ethanol Yamaha recommends is 10%, certainly not 85%.

Done.

When we bought our Bennington from a dealer in Eastern PA the sales manager went on and on about how many boat owners on that huge lake have had so many mechanical issues due to using E15 because straight gas is not even available there. He went on to say that nearly every boat owner there adds an additive to their gas so this doesn't happen.

Done.

When we bought our Bennington from a dealer in Eastern PA the sales manager went on and on about how many boat owners on that huge lake have had so many mechanical issues due to using E15 because straight gas is not even available there. He went on to say that nearly every boat owner there adds an additive to their gas so this doesn't happen.
Here is a sort-able list  of where to buy "ethanol free gas "by state

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a sort-able list  of where to buy "ethanol free gas "by state

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=MI

Yeah I know about the one in Jackson (closest to me) that's on this list but that is clear on the other side of town from me.  Very inconvenient to go over there for gas although I will probably trailer my boat over there when I take it out of storage so I can at least start out the season with that gas.  55 gallons will last me a while.

Does anyone know what the additives are that people purchase to pour into their gas tanks to help combat against this?  When I bought my boat in PA they said there were two different brands that people around there used.  I forgot what they were.

Last season marina was $6.50 a gallon .

Closest one to me is about a 30 mile round trip .

I am building a 6 slot egg crate type box .to hold 30 gallons each trip should save me close to $100

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks.  That's fairly cheap.  I'll dump some in with the initial fill up this year.

I am in Iowa. I was just stating my experience with e85, I don't need or want to cause any problems. Just stating my experience. Have a good life.
No problems!  But i am curious about the fuel in Iowa, when we went up to Minnesota to pick up our Bennie we traveled through Iowa, and i seem to recall the ethanol levels being higher there, and being upset that my fuel mileage degraded considerably.

Is ethanol subsidized in Iowa because of the amount of corn grown there, and the ethanol plants there?

Back