Help me build a 22 SSX

Stevefsu3

Reaction score
Hi all,

New member to the forum and I'm hoping some of you can help me out!  My wife and I are looking to purchase our first pontoon and we are pretty much set on Bennington.  The SSX floor plan fits our objectives perfectly with mostly cruising and a little bit of fishing (For Me).  We live in Orlando and will be primarily using the boat on lakes and bit of saltwater. 

I have been using the design center and doing a lot of reading on this forum.  Our budget initially started at 25k but I can push it to 30k.  The problem is, the boat I design according to the design center is nearly 50k!!!! :eek:

So with that being said, how would you build this boat to maximize value while holding to an absolute drop dead budget of 30k?  Meaning my wife will kill me dead if we go over 30k!  Thank you all in advance for your help!

Steve 

Remember that the pricing on the site is MSRP and you can get into one less than the price listed. So lets figure out some options for you and then you can take that to a dealer for pricing.

You mention salt water use so add that package. If you are going to get a tritoon, add sealed strakes. Add full vinyl floor. Rough water package.

In regards to the other interior options that is up to your tastes/needs. I would really suggest the SPS package and a 150 is available on that size (22) Trust me!

Congrats on choosing the best brand and I'm sure others will chime in.

Also, my wife and I love the harris chain of lakes and will hopefully be down there with our boat one day. We built ours for salt water in the event we make it out of MI.

Build it to $40k on build a boat.  Take it to a dealer and say you only have $30k.  They might bite.  End of season will help. 

No real end of season in Florida Dan!!!!! Just hot as hell and hot!

My friend has an SX with SPS and Yamaha 150 with trailer I believe he paid a little over 34K, so try to stretch that budget just a little bit more and you will have one great boat

Last edited by a moderator:
No real end of season in Florida Dan!!!!! Just hot as hell and hot!
Hahaha ..... You know how you can can tell the locals in Florida, they are the ones wearing coats when it hits 70 degrees.

Hell I don't stop wearing shorts now till it hits about 20-30.

Back on topic..... We've seen anywhere from 20-30% off MSRP build a boat. I would do a search of Benni dealers and see if any have a 2014 leftover and being we are coming up on 2016, watch for blowouts on the 2015. Have you actually checked out some in person? You might find a different model on sale, that will still fit your purposes. I ended up buying a R model leftover at around what I was paying for a G model I was ordering. There's deals to be had if you can wait and watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't rule out used if you want to save big money, I picked up a 2012 22" SFX that had been used 34 hours with everything I would of ordered on a new one including trolling motor and two Lowrance fish finders, lifting strakes, wave shield, 115hp Yamaha, full vinyl floor and he even left 6 new life jackets and all the other required equipment and a trailer all for $19,000. All I had to buy was an anchor.

Thank you all for your insight!  I have been searching used and haven't come across much locally that are in decent shape.  I would love to find a deal on a SPS with 150 for 34k.  That sounds like a heck of a deal and what I have been trying to build.  I need to spend some time speaking to some dealers.  Unfortunately we don't have a Bennington dealer locally in Orlando.  Have to go out to the coast but I do keep an eye on what they have in inventory. 

We are going to the Orlando boat show tonight.  I am hoping that we will see some Bennington's and have a chance to speak with some of the dealers.  I will keep you all posted.

Thanks again for your help! 

Isn't there Triangle marine in Tavares? At least there use to be.

You are absolutely right.  I wasn't aware there was a dealership there.  I just sent an email to Triangle Marine. 

Thank you for the heads up!

We really LOVE our 22-SSX.  In our opinion, you sould never regret going with an SPS tri-toon with a 150HP.  That is a great configuration, and it gives us the performance to haul capacity, handle rough water, cruise, plus go about the same speeds as our previous I/O runabout.  Front lounge area is great for guests, plus the rear fishing area is great for helping keep things clean and organized for fishing.  For pricing, yes - our MSRP was quickly over $40k ... but we got ours during the winter/spring boat show season and were able to get +/- 20% overall discount because of the combined marina, boat, and motor promotions.  Good luck with your new Bennington! 

Back