Horn

Railmonkey

Reaction score
My Q series horn crapped out first weekend out - are they junk, worth fixing or replacing?

That reminds me, Mine quit last year too. looked to see if the wires were still hooked up and they were at all 3 spots, horn switch and breaker, just need to check with a meter to see if I have power down there and get it warrantied before it runs out this fall.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I have even checked mine on this boat! Hopefully it works the next time out.

+1 on the safety check. Horn or whistle, properly charged fire extinguisher (should be a green "pop-up"), a throwable, and enough life jackets for those on board. Typical safety check takes less that 2 minutes if you are prepared. 

I'm on my 3rd horn in 4 yrs and this one is dead as well. They're junk! I just carry a cheapo air horn for those unexpected safety checks.

I am contemplating replacing the automotive style horn with a small set of electric air horns. :D

I'm on my 3rd horn in 4 yrs and this one is dead as well. They're junk! I just carry a cheapo air horn for those unexpected safety checks.
Spinzone, if you are on your third horn in four years then I would suspect your wife is cutting the wires

Link,

A few weeks back, we were lounging at the island. There is an 18" sand bar that extends off the beach on one side where numerous boats ground themselves weekly. I see this new red G series Benny coming in way too fast and think "I'll be a nice guy and save their lower unit". So I run over to them and tell the captain to kill the motor and I'll pull them to shore. After making the 50yd trek, I hear a woman say "Thank you!". To which I look up, inches away from, a new set of plastic. I then look around the boat and realize this is a group of 10 or so women who appear to have the day off from the gentlemen's club.

Now, if you've ever met my wife, you'd know this is not going to go over well! My family calls her Natasha (from Rocky and Bullwinkle) because of her heavy accent. In my head I'm planning my rebuttle to defend myself because I was so excited over the Benny that I truly missed its occupants. Keep in mind, when I wrote "run over" I literally mean run over. I slowly trudge my way back to my boat and climb on board awaiting my beating. The only comment I get from her is "Do they still have the new car smell?" <--- hear that in Natasha's voice and you'll also know the instant fear I felt.

That's a way too long story to say I never thought she might be my horn's culprit. I've been too busy checking the brake lines on my car to have given it any thought! :)

So I'd imagine you didn't get a chance to take any photos of the ....boat? ;)

Spinezone, You did a such a great job ,"rescuing the maidens in distress"  ,,, Why didn't you offer to do a "safety" check with all the occupants to insure they knew how to properly don a life vest? Now that's a true Bennington Captain!!

So I'd imagine you didn't get a chance to take any photos of the ....boat? ;)
That's more than playing with fire, that's pouring rocket fuel on it!

Spinezone, You did a such a great job ,"rescuing the maidens in distress"  ,,, Why didn't you offer to do a "safety" check with all the occupants to insure they knew how to properly don a life vest? Now that's a true Bennington Captain!!
The thought crossed my mind. Then I realized, these women would float with lead weights tied to their feet! :p

Not to sound crude, but we've seen pics of your wife. I don't think she has any worries about any other women grabbing her man .........  ;)

I can't remember what she looks like.....guess I'll have to go look at those photos again!! :D

She's a keeper! Good job Chas!

I'm thinking Link is on the right track. She probably got sick of you tooting your own horn!! Haha, now that's a corny joke right there!  Besides,  just tell her you didn't want to ruin your day by not stopping them, having them hit the sand and wreck the boat, then of course you being the extraordinary gentleman that made her fall in love with you, the only proper thing would be to offer for them to come on your boat for the day since theirs is broken. Not to mention it would sure be a shame for them to miss out on all the fun, so really, the only reason you sprang into action was so you could keep spending quality time with the love of your life. Wow, she sure is lucky to have you!

Well if it makes you guys feel any better the horn in our '14 G crapped out last weekend too.  Worked fine for our safety inspection back in May and just for fun I tried it last weekend.......worked once then died.  

Was OK if we were boarded and checked over the holiday weekend since we have an air horn and a whistle on board just in case......gotta have a backup plan.

After seeing that this is a wide spread unresolved quality issue I will just skip the hassle of getting a warranty horn and just get one that will work and get some attention then.

Mine is located at the upper right side of the helm. See if you have a vent between the fence and the top of the helm. You horn blasts out through that vent.

Back