How fast do you cruise?

JimmyC

Reaction score
With all these hi HP pontoons, I was just curious as to how fast everyone cruises.

I know with my Yamaha 150 I can top out at 40mph on my GPS which is around 5500 rpm.

I typically cruise around 4000 rpm because it's fast enough especially when traveling any distance. The draw back being I use considerably more fuel than if I choose to cruise at optimum of 3000rpm.

3000 rpm just doesn't seem fast enough after you hit top speed a time or two ;)

How fast are you cruising?

Last edited by a moderator:
Like you I cruise around 2800-3000 when we are headed somewhere but a lot slower when we are just goofing around usually not in open water.

Jimmy, what prop is on there? 5500 is kind of low for WOT.

My favorite cruising speed is zero. I bought the boat to go out and just sit there on the lake. Kids are a different story. They want to go fast all the time.

Jimmy, what prop is on there? 5500 is kind of low for WOT.
I too am following this as I havery the same stats....using the stock prop...

To the OP, I usually cruise at 25 mph...it is just comfortable.

Loaded boat 2 people I am only getting 38 mph WOT

Depends on the conditions, where I'm going, how long I have to get there ect etc. With more HP you have options.

We don't go faster than the wind noise won't let us talk to each other.  3000rpm mid 20 mph.  we are never in a hurry once we get on the water.  We boat for 10 minutes, we both ski and then float for the rest of the day.

We cruise between 20-25.....as earlier posts mentioned, keeps the wind noise down and easier on the pocketbook.  WOT for me is 5800 and can get 43 mph with 2 people, 1/2 tank of fuel, flat water and little head wind...no prob hitting 37 with 6 people, full of gear and full tank of gas 2 weeks ago.

I typically run at 3000 RMP's (23.3mph) as well for the fuel efficiency and also that's a nice crusing speed.  The name of my boat is Full Throttle so I certainly do like to go fast.

Usually the low 40's. just added a 1100 watts worth of Amplified sound this winter.

Unless when I have both tops up, depends on wind speed: 28-30 mph

During the day we cruise 10 - 15 mph.  Sunset and night cruises at 4 mph, never in too much of a hurry

As a new boat owner (who doesn't even have his boat yet!) I enjoy reading these questions/answers...

Very informative to hear about how others boat.

Thanks!

Jason

3000-3500 rpm's.  I don't pay much attention to the  speedometer.  Above 3500 rpm's and the fuel mileage starts to go south a little.

Our lake's 16,000 acres--deep and wide.  The farthest we can go is about 12 miles.

Some of our best times are floating around 1/2 mile out in the middle of the river channel at night on hot Summer nights.  We can boat 8 hours for less than $5 in gasoline.

Since we're on a small lake (800 acres), 90% of our use is slow cruises around the perimeter of the lake, under 10-15 mph. We only run it hard when we have guests for water sports or for the occasional wise guy in another brand ;-)

Cruise at 5 mph, WOT at 10-12 ..... Only have a 20hp ..... :)

That's awesome guys. Thanks for the info! I don't have a speedometer on my boat other than the GPS from my smart phone so I'm not sure exactly what my speed is but I do know that the engine will purr at 3000 rpm with little effort. I wish I could go slower but I love my going just a little faster than idle speed :)

Cruise around 3000-3500 rpm mid to hi 20'. Wot so far 5600 rpm 43mph (still tweaking that)

Last edited by a moderator:
My idle speed with the 150 is about 4.5 mph if I remember right....
with this slick toons you'll be doing 15 at idle and 4.5 sitting still...wait...what?

Ha ha !

Back