How fast do you cruise?

Hoping to hit 88 mph, then go back in time and get the three days I spent polishing the toons back.

Since we're on a small lake (800 acres), 90% of our use is slow cruises around the perimeter of the lake, under 10-15 mph. We only run it hard when we have guests for water sports or for the occasional wise guy in another brand ;-)
Tom can you imagine a 16,000 acre lake.... I would definitely have the remaining mercury racing mods.

Tom can you imagine a 16,000 acre lake.... I would definitely have the remaining mercury racing mods.
My lake is about 162,000 acres. I have to go slow just to keep from running out of gas. Usually around 10-12mph feels good with my F90. The problem is I have to get upwards of 60 miles away from the nearest marina, camp out there for a week and not run out of gas. Trying to figure out where all the extra gas cans are going to go for next week's outing. 

I hate to say it Nick, but I think you would benefit from PADS. It sounds like you outgrew your toon quickly...... :)

Your pontoons could hold 1000s of gallons of gas each.

Wait, then you'd sink. Never mind.

My lake is about 162,000 acres. I have to go slow just to keep from running out of gas. Usually around 10-12mph feels good with my F90. The problem is I have to get upwards of 60 miles away from the nearest marina, camp out there for a week and not run out of gas. Trying to figure out where all the extra gas cans are going to go for next week's outing.
My 150 uses less gas than my 115 did at any given speed. That was a surprise to me. Keep that in mind for your next boat...

I'm with you abypfcs 3500-4500 rpm about 20 mph is a nice speed to enjoy the ride and besides retired florida living is great........

To anyone who has traveled in FL. That is funny !!

That is funny!

I live out in Fort Walton Beach Florida and it's just beautiful here. The trip from the boat ramp to Crab Island is about 6 miles where we just anchor up, relax, and enjoy the scenery ;)  

Heading back to my house we travel 6 miles in the other direction and head towards Specter Island where we pull tubes and knee boards and and once again anchor up, relax, and enjoy the scenery ;)  

When I'm cruising back and forth I try to keep it at 3000 because that's best endurance speed but I can't help but throttle it up and back down again. I love this motor! It's hard getting used to not having a speedometer but probably better because driving by rpm will probably help me conserve more fuel than if I had a speedo. 

I'm not sure what size my prop is or what the pitch is but here are a couple of pics.

I'm not sure what the actual rpm is when maxed out either. I haven't really paid that much attention to it. I just know it's around 5500 could be a little more...

14 1/2 diameter by 15" pitch

Thanks! 

I cruise as fast as I can, until the wife gives me the "look" because she is trying to talk to her friend and the wind noise is too loud!! I usually keep going for a minute or two, just so it is MY idea to slow down! I am the Captain. Haha

Wow Bulldog; That's showing her :rolleyes:

Way to show her who's boss! LOL!

I cruise as fast as I can, until the wife gives me the "look" because she is trying to talk to her friend and the wind noise is too loud!! I usually keep going for a minute or two, just so it is MY idea to slow down! I am the Captain. Haha
Lol,

Last edited by a moderator:
Back