How low is too low?

BigKahuna

Reaction score
Due to a serious shortage of rain fall this summer in the Lake Norman area the water level has suffered and is dropping fast. We've been getting quick afternoon thunderstorms but nothing significant that would bring the water level up. We need a good 3 or 4 day soaker or a tropical storm to come through. The area where our slip is had a good 9 to 10 feet under the boat but has dropped to just over 4 feet.

With my summer trailer bunk replacement project completed it might be time to take the boat out of the water.......

Pics to follow........

We are also low on the Inland waterway .Our old marina had floating docks , they are permanent at the new one .I would say we are 8-10 inches down 

Just over 4 feet sounds like an average depth at our lake.  A lot of our channels are in the 3-4 foot range (some even a little shallower) and we get through them with no troubles.....just don't forget to trim up a bit when entering them.  The main lake is closer to 5-6 foot range as an average.....5800 acres of lake and channels.

Yeah, it's getting bad.  I'm getting ready to walk out to that shoal sign near you and write "DUH" on it.

I love the lake this low. It exposes so many new beaches to explore.

Though we did fill up 2 yard bags full of trash that had been exposed from our favorite beach.

On the Ct. River in Northampton Ma. It is often 2.5 - 3-4' where we boat. The bottom is all sand which makes it easier. Like indian lake bum says, trim up!

Your draft is probably less than 2'​

Your draft is probably less than 2'
You are correct Bill..... just under 2 ft.

Also..... it's 4 feet 4 inches from the bottom of the port side toon to the lake floor.....so the depth finder is pretty accurate.

I thought you Lake Norman guys left the boat in the water year round?

Lake Lanier Has fluctuated a bit the last few weeks but that is normal this time of year.  We are still over 1000' at it deepest point.  My slip is currently 54' in depth. There are many hazards to watch out for but in my cruising on the lake this season the average depth i see is 80'+ 

When we get down to 2.5 feet, close attention is made to depth and start trimming. We can operate at 1.5 but trim is up past half. On Rehobeth Bay & Indian River Bay there are lots of shallow areas and sandbars. Using the channel is always our best bet but no matter where we are...monitoring depth is a must!

I love the lake this low. It exposes so many new beaches to explore.

Though we did fill up 2 yard bags full of trash that had been exposed from our favorite beach.

Doesn't it make you sick to see that kind of trash in the lakes? I was up river a couple of weeks ago when three rednecks left the sand bar close to us, got out in the middle of the river (about 60 - 70 yrds wide) filled her beer can up with water so it would sink to the bottom. People can bring the crap in but they don't ever have the room to take it back out with them.

Doesn't it make you sick to see that kind of trash in the lakes? I was up river a couple of weeks ago when three rednecks left the sand bar close to us, got out in the middle of the river (about 60 - 70 yrds wide) filled her beer can up with water so it would sink to the bottom. People can bring the crap in but they don't ever have the room to take it back out with them.
I don't understand it. I'm not a tree hugger by any means but why trash such a beautiful place that so many people obviously enjoy? My cleanup project began after I found a large glass shard from a broken beer bottle. Next thing I know, I'm picking up beer can after beer can and glass shard after glass shard. Thankfully when the water is at normal pool this particular piece of beach is 10'+ deep and my kids aren't in danger of cutting themselves on trashy people's laziness.

Rant over!

http://youtu.be/DSHzh-UA1Do

I've definitely got this pet peeve that gets me really upset when I'm riding down the road and see someone in the car near me, open the window and throw out a McDonald's bag, drink cup, or something similar. I even get mad at the smokers that throw out their cig butts. It looks like snow on the side of the roads, especially near busy intersections. My wife and I love to ride bikes. We often have to dodge broken glass and other things where people toss their garbage out of the window and scatter the junk all over the bike trails, and it's usually empty beer bottles. One more thing and I'll get off of my soap box; it even more maddening when I see the trash tosser is from another county or state. I've called cops and followed some so I can file complaints. It paid off big time once by doing that. Two of the three people in the car had warrants out for their arrest. That shows the total stupidity about them. "I've got warrants out for my arrest, so I'll throw trash out to get some really good attention". 

I sure wish the law would seriously crack down on the littering low life of this country.

Ok, I'll calm down now. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, we boat in a "No Alcohol" State Park. Last fall I cleaned up 4-5 beer cans dropped in the water in the cove we anchor in. At the very least they could have tossed them in the woods?? You'd never see them as the leaves would cover them. One of these times, with my luck, Fish & Game will pull up when I have a empty can in my hand ..... :blink:  

I get so disgusted seeing the plastic bags floating around, fishing worm containers left on the banks, beer bottles on the island ......  :angry:

As a snowmobiler, we deal with the same crap...people think that snow will cover it and it is hidden forever. :blink:  Dillweeds!

Our code is "Pack it in-Pack it out" unless it's biodegradable of course.

Lake Lanier Has fluctuated a bit the last few weeks but that is normal this time of year.  We are still over 1000' at it deepest point.  My slip is currently 54' in depth. There are many hazards to watch out for but in my cruising on the lake this season the average depth i see is 80'+It's plenty deep in the lake channels.....50, 60, 70, 80 ft. +. It's the cove edges that are hurting. Getting ready to post pics.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Back