How old are you, and still ski?

It really impressed me. With what I'd read, I wasn't even going to make it to the surface, but it yanked me up really fast. 

Our neighbors had a 25' S model with a 75 Merc and used to pull up (experienced) skiers on combos quite often. It was pretty much flat out, but it never ceased to amaze me whenever they did it. Good for you!!

Nice video Randy, and good job! It's been ages since I skied at all. I'm with you on the bike riding, and ride 10-14 miles most mornings to stay somewhat in shape. While I'm not saying "never" to trying water skiing again, it's not likely, especially not with all the gators we have where we boat. Oh, and I'm 68, and most people don't believe I'm that old. However, I do know my limits.

Our neighbors had a 25' S model with a 75 Merc and used to pull up (experienced) skiers on combos quite often. It was pretty much flat out, but it never ceased to amaze me whenever they did it. Good for you!!

When I surfaced, I had to get my wife to slow down. She said she was close to WOT, but not all the way. When I try the slalom, I'm sure she'll have to give it all it's got to get me up. We'll see. I'm thinking pretty positive about the little boat, now.

Nice video Randy, and good job! It's been ages since I skied at all. I'm with you on the bike riding, and ride 10-14 miles most mornings to stay somewhat in shape. While I'm not saying "never" to trying water skiing again, it's not likely, especially not with all the gators we have where we boat. Oh, and I'm 68, and most people don't believe I'm that old. However, I do know my limits.

Thanks for the encouragement, and I truly respect and admire your attempts at staying young. Great job, Tooner! Stay with it.

"A body in motion, stays in motion. A body at rest, stays at rest." 

I'm going to keep pushing myself to stay as active as possible. Got my 58th coming up a week before Christmas. Road 35 miles this past Saturday morning on my bike. We usually make a ride of over 25 miles on the weekends, along with the shorter 10 - 20 mile rides on weekday afternoons. I love it! Hate when the time changes and cuts our afternoons short!

Since you mentioned the gators, I'll tell you that's how I finally started the slalom. I was around 15 yrs., and was with a couple of friends in the "fresh" water of the gulf coast, fixing to learn how to slalom. I dropped a ski, and stayed up. I couldn't believe it. We circled around to try to pick up the other on the run. About that time, we saw a gator, not far from the ski. Well, I wasn't about to fall or let go, then. After about 3 passes at super slow speeds, and me just about to have my arms torn from my body from being dragged so low, I wasn't about to stop or drop out of fear, so I skied for several miles after they retrieved the dropped ski. From that point on, I never had a problem with the slalom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
My only piece of advise is to know the limits of the human body. I'm not sure biking 35 miles is actually good long term for the body. I only say this as my father in law was active his whole life. Always worked out, ran like a banshee on the treadmill, watched what he ate etc. and his knees are shot from the years of keeping in motion. He is now retired and some days can barely walk. It breaks my heart seeing a guy retire young only to be confined to the home most days.

So the moral of my story is there is a point of diminishing returns when working out/staying active.

I also do the occasion 62 mile (metric century) on my bike. 

Sorry to see that about your dad, LL. My dad is 85, and still gets around very well. He can lift about as much as I can, maybe more, but my mom keeps him very active with the honey do lists that never runs out of projects. I had to threaten to spank my mother for being on the top of the house, sweeping the pine straw off when she was about 75. She is a prime example of not knowing when to quit. She's now almost 84 and still going strong.

I also do the occasion 62 mile (metric century) on my bike. 

Sorry to see that about your dad, LL. My dad is 85, and still gets around very well. He can lift about as much as I can, maybe more, but my mom keeps him very active with the honey do lists that never runs out of projects. I had to threaten to spank my mother for being on the top of the house, sweeping the pine straw off when she was about 75. She is a prime example of not knowing when to quit. She's now almost 84 and still going strong.

Hopefully you got a good dose of those genes!

I hope so, too, Michiman!

Grandpa died at 95

Grandma died at 95

Uncle died at 106

Uncle died at 95

Another uncle is still going at 94.

Yep, "if I'm healthy", I hope that have those genes.

if we only knew how long we had it would be a whole lot easier planning our lives. Since we don't, do what you can, but as LakeLiving says, be smart about it and don't wear yourself out prematurely. My Dad passed at 62, but it was not from being sickly. My mother is still doing well at almost 94, so I hope I have some of those genes.

To me the most important thing is not longevity, but what you do with the time you have. I've always lived my life so not to have regrets when taking my last breath.  Family is at the top of my pyramid, but "me time" is also very important. Along those lines I recently completed a 3,800 mile motorcycle trip with two friends through the South Western US. 

I know this is old, I've just been clicking on that "Next unread topic" button this past little while! 

I was never a great water skier, I could easily get up and cruise around, do some hard cuts, but that was it. I did however LEARN to ski in an unlikely place, our community pool! I was quite young, but I still remember holding on to that rope trying to get up. The funny part is that what was attached to the other end of that rope was a couple of teenagers running!  Haha the rope went through a pulley in the center of the far edge of the pool, then over to another pulley on the corner, then attached to the two teens who would run along the edge of the pool (coming towards you) to pull you up! 

I'm not sure how much money those teens made that day, but they earned every penny pulling all of us out of the water!! 

I know this is old, I've just been clicking on that "Next unread topic" button this past little while! 

I was never a great water skier, I could easily get up and cruise around, do some hard cuts, but that was it. I did however LEARN to ski in an unlikely place, our community pool! I was quite young, but I still remember holding on to that rope trying to get up. The funny part is that what was attached to the other end of that rope was a couple of teenagers running!  Haha the rope went through a pulley in the center of the far edge of the pool, then over to another pulley on the corner, then attached to the two teens who would run along the edge of the pool (coming towards you) to pull you up! 

I'm not sure how much money those teens made that day, but they earned every penny pulling all of us out of the water!! 

So, is that what Canadians do for water sports? And the good thing is that you can move it to the indoor pool during the other 9 months. Just kidding Derrick!

So, is that what Canadians do for water sports? And the good thing is that you can move it to the indoor pool during the other 9 months. Just kidding Derrick!

This was in the indoor pool!!  Hehe wouldn't be much use of an outdoor pool in Thompson Manitoba Canada!!  We were the North of the North!! 

If my foot heals up properly, I am hoping to give water skiing a try in the summer of 2018.  I haven't done it since I was in my 20's, but grew up as a teenager skiing, and hoping to give it another try at our new cottage.  Until then just driving others, and tubing, for me.

I will be 48 by the summer of 2018.

J., I'm looking forward to seeing that video of you on the skis. You'll do it! 

Back