How to clean exterior

tbarile

Reaction score
I have a 2010 black 2554 GCW and the exterior of one side of the boat has a lot of streaks from rubbing against bumpers.  How do I get the streaks off without damage (is the black paint or sticker?)?  I've tried a few cleaners as well as vinegar and water.  Any help is much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't let my fenders be up high enough to rub the panels if at all possible.

Mine are adjusted to hit the rub rail. Seems to line up at most docks.

The spot where the boat was parked was only about 9' wide and the only spot I could mount them was panel height.  They were just in place so I didn't bump into the boat lift, the pontoon would then go up on sea legs so it wasn't rubbing on anything.  As I look at it more I don't think its from the bumpers.  I'll post picutres.  I've tried totally awesome degreaser, marine degreaser, and 50/50 vinger water.

Do you leave the fenders hanging there all the time?

The fenders were tied to the boat lift next to my pontoon. The only time they ever came into contact was if I got too close to the boat lift. As I said, the spot was only 9' wide between dock and the boat lift so I did bump the fenders a few times.

The fenders were tied to the boat lift next to my pontoon. The only time they ever came into contact was if I got too close to the boat lift. As I said, the spot was only 9' wide between dock and the boat lift so I did bump the fenders a few times.
Try a magic eraser and clean water.

I will try the magic erasers.  Could these be the infamous black streaks I have read so much about?  That side of the pontoon could have caught a lot of run off from the canopy of the boat lift.

Be careful with the magic erasers.  They are nothing more than super fine grit "sandpaper" sponges.  I'm not saying don't use them, they are AWESOME if used on the right surfaces.  But just know that they can really scuff up a glossy surface (learned that the hard way, then Googled it and learned why).  Just be gentle and careful with them on your glossy fence and stickers, and don't over-do it or scrub too hard.  Check frequently for scuffing!

I like to use a damp microfiber towel. If I need a little soap, just a few drops of Ivory liquid has always worked well.

X2 on the magic eraser being a fine sanding block, I used one to wash a door in our house once and it took all the finish off of it. :eek:

I would never use one on a vehicles paint and especially black.

X2 on the magic eraser being a fine sanding block, I used one to wash a door in our house once and it took all the finish off of it. :eek:

I would never use one on a vehicles paint and especially black.
Yes it did!  Anyone know how to buff the shine back into black paint?

Bennington is sending me something called DC9 which is suppposed to take the streaks off. Now I just need to repair the dull finish from the magic erasers.

Back