I/O fuel filter/water separator change

keithkz

Reaction score
Anyone know if there is a tool that makes this easier?  There is ZERO room in between the filter and on the right side to get an oil filter wrench of any kind on it.  I even took the upper water hose off to give me a little more room. 

gallery_300_298_1647519.jpg

gallery_300_298_2266273.jpg

gallery_300_298_753519.jpg

Man that really is tight in there!

I had a small truck oil filter that I couldn't get a filter wrench on either and I just poked a hole in the filter w/a screwdiver and turned the entire screwdriver/filter it to get it off. Once you get it started you can hand turn it.......Just put some paper towels/old rags/towels under it in your bilge to catch the fuel or water still in the filter..................

Last edited by a moderator:
What Daril said. I had to do that once in the past as well. That is crazy how tight space is.

Once you get it off you might consider installing a remote filter. I did that on a Merc sterndrive on another boat. Worked great, and a lot less hassle. I have a dual filter remote setup from Amsoil on my Duramax GMC dually, and I'm sure there are others available. I have a pair of odd shaped adjustable slip joint filter pliers for some tough filters that works really good.

I thought that IS a remote filter I have.

Hard to tell.  My remote filters have had an adapter plate that screwed in where the filter attached, and then high pressure hoses were routed to wherever you wanted to mount the filter head. Having enough clearance to mount the adapter could even be a problem in your situation. Whatever that black object is on the right in the first 2 photos really has it blocked and is very close to the filter body. I think my pliers would still be able to get a grip on it though. Is that particular filter a little larger diameter than some other brands? Maybe find one in a cross reference that might be a little smaller diameter. My problem has always been reaching the filter, I needed 2 or 3 elbows. Your problem is entirely different.

That's pretty slick but I honestly do not think that will work either because there is no room whatsoever between that filter and two other spots. What I need is something that only goes around half of the filter and has a sort of ratchet.

After you get this one off..............the filter should be only hand tightened about a 3/4 turn after it makes contact w/the housing. This way you'll never need a filter wrench etc..............

For a strap wrench you need about 1/16" clearance to slip it on. The second picture looks like the electrical tie is holding the filter far enough out for a strap to slip onto the bottom of the filter.

And this may sound funny, but use anti-sieze compound on the gasket, not oil, and you'll never have a problem. I use anti-sieze on everything that I want to take apart or not leak. I've used it for many years.

After you get this one off..............the filter should be only hand tightened about a 3/4 turn after it makes contact w/the housing. This way you'll never need a filter wrench etc..............
I changed this one last year and I DID only tighten it 3/4 of a turn.

I used a huge pair of chanelox but it was incredibly difficult and slow going plus I tore the crap out of it getting it off. The one I put on (pictured here in this thread) was put on by hand and again was very difficult.

It is in a tough spot wish I had a good suggestion for you but large channel-locks was going to be it. That's what our diesel mechanics use on the large truck filters.

Yeah there ya go....that might just do it. It's certainly better than anything I have right now. Thanks!

I'm thinking even if you have 1/64th of an inch in there, these would work ......

lisle-oil-filter-wrench.jpg

Those slip joint pliers in post #16 is what I've been referring to. They do a great job.

When you put the new filter on, put a slip wrench on the filter before you put the filter on (put the wrench close to the head of the housing, then put the filter though it and screw it on). Leave the slip wrench on the filter until the next time you change it. Cable tie the wrench handle to a nearby hose or something so it won't bang around. You also won't lose the wrench that way!

Back