I/O fuel filter/water separator change

I really don't think that will work.  I'm serious...there is NO room at all in between the filer and that black thing on the right (fuel pump).  There is also a screw in another area near that where the filter also rest against that.  I think that blue handled thing above is going to be perfect.  I'm gonna buy that this week at Home Depot and try it.

Like others said, pound a screw driver through it, and use that too twist it loose. I have done that before myself. On a car though.

Another thought is to strap cable ties to the filter and use the nubs to get leverage on to turn it loose. Or cable tie a bolt to the side so you have something to grab.

Or a C-clamp across the bottom if you can fit it in there.

Yeah....a C-clamp might actually work as well.  I think I can get a small one to fit under the bottom.  That would sure give me something much easier to grab on to for leverage.

Thanks for the ideas guys.

When you put the new filter on, put a slip wrench on the filter before you put the filter on (put the wrench close to the head of the housing, then put the filter though it and screw it on). Leave the slip wrench on the filter until the next time you change it. Cable tie the wrench handle to a nearby hose or something so it won't bang around. You also won't lose the wrench that way!
Dang, I was just thinking that same idea ... ???Only problem is it works one way to tighten, opposite to loosen ..... Oh well,

Last edited by a moderator:
Would one of these work ? 

Update ,just looked at the pics again .I dont think it would .

%24(KGrHqF,!h8E-t(eddmdBP51s3YkI!~~60_35.JPG

No...I have one of those that is a perfect fit for the filter but again...there is not any space at all at two different areas because that black thing and also a screw both actually touch the filter....there is zero room to get that to go on all the way around the bottom of the filter.

If you already have one of those filter cap tools and it doesn't work you might as well try modifying it. Cutting part of it away would still grip the filter but give you some spin room.

Hell I never thought of that.....that should work as well.

Well I ended up just using my large pair or chanelox. I hardly loosened it because I damaged it and then couldn't get anymore bite on it. So I just hammered a screwdriver into it and removed it that way. I know they say hand tighten and then tighten it an additional 3/4 of a turn but I tightened it as much as I possibly could by hand...even using one of those jar lid remover things that give you an extra grip. I even removed the fuel line that attaches right at the top of the fuel filter so I had one less thing in the way. It's so difficult to turn that thing because again, the fuel pump and a hose screw both litter all touch the filter. What a crap design. Anyway I'm thinking as long as there isn't any fuel leaks I'm thinking it's on good enough.

Piss poor engineering/design. SMH.

Back