Inexpensive Refueling Options

I can only speak from our experience since purchasing our lake house. We boat on a Army Corp lake so no lake front docks. We live 1.4 miles from ramp. Bait shop with non ethanol fuel .5 miles between house and ramp.  So once we close the door on the boat barn with a fuel stop, it takes approximately 30 minutes from barn door down to old bald fat guy stepping onto boat bow with wife at helm. We generally fuel once in two weekend use. If we don't fuel we can be on lake in about 20 minutes.

Yes, I have a 5 gallon jug that I can lug (and will do until I think of something better). 

Just a hint: If it's one of those "new" gas cans, buy an old-school nozzle and drill a vent hole in the can. It will cut the time it takes to empty a gas can in half!

Welcome and enjoy that boat!

Just a hint: If it's one of those "new" gas cans, buy an old-school nozzle and drill a vent hole in the can. It will cut the time it takes to empty a gas can in half!

Welcome and enjoy that boat!

Amen brother, those new ones suck.  They make kits with vent caps and new spouts.  (Makes gas cans great again), I couldn't help it.  :D

To you guys that live on the lake and have a slip for your boat, just call that extra money on gas, a luxury tax. Although I can almost see the boat ramp from my house, I still have to trailer my boat, so I take advantage of pulling my boat up to the least expensive 100% gas in the area (about $2.30/Gal) to fill up when needed. 

"If you like rainbows, don't complain about the rain." :D

To you guys that live on the lake and have a slip for your boat, just call that extra money on gas, a luxury tax. Although I can almost see the boat ramp from my house, I still have to trailer my boat, so I take advantage of pulling my boat up to the least expensive 100% gas in the area (about $2.30/Gal) to fill up when needed. 

"If you like rainbows, don't complain about the rain." :D

I live on the lake and..............................carry gas to the boat.  :)   I wish it would rain since we need the water.

"extra money on gas, a luxury tax."  Or, a convenience fee, kind of like the gallon of milk you get at the gas station for a buck more.

Amen brother, those new ones suck.  They make kits with vent caps and new spouts.  (Makes gas cans great again), I couldn't help it.  :D

LOL! Yeah, that's what I meant: vent cap and spout. 

I guess the Original posters question has some stipulations.

#1 what kind of shape are you in? 

Example if your a Strong Lumber jack throw a 15 gallon jug over your shoulder and have at it. But if your Steven Hawking then the marina pump is your only option. 

#2 What's the journey to your boat like. If it's a smooth path to your boat then one of these will work

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Todd-WP-1-15-Gallon-Gas-Cart-DOT-Caddy-Boat-ATV-Generator-Fuel-Station-/200970886437?hash=item2ecacc5d25%3Ag%3AI9oAAOSwv0tVfxFj&_trkparms=pageci%253Ab11199f4-10c2-11e7-a023-74dbd1807fa2%257Cparentrq%253A01a776bd15b0a6a5d2e318a2fff7e00d%257Ciid%253A1

I guess the Original posters question has some stipulations.

#1 what kind of shape are you in? 

Example if your a Strong Lumber jack throw a 15 gallon jug over your shoulder and have at it. But if your Steven Hawking then the marina pump is your only option. 

#2 What's the journey to your boat like. If it's a smooth path to your boat then one of these will work

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Todd-WP-1-15-Gallon-Gas-Cart-DOT-Caddy-Boat-ATV-Generator-Fuel-Station-/200970886437?hash=item2ecacc5d25%3Ag%3AI9oAAOSwv0tVfxFj&_trkparms=pageci%253Ab11199f4-10c2-11e7-a023-74dbd1807fa2%257Cparentrq%253A01a776bd15b0a6a5d2e318a2fff7e00d%257Ciid%253A1

And how do you pick it up when full?

I live on the lake and..............................carry gas to the boat.  :)   I wish it would rain since we need the water.

I'll do a rain dance for you, brother! :D

I would think you would lay it flat in the bed of your truck (another must have) and fill it up while laying down. Then drag it out wheels down and roll it like a hand truck to your boat. 

Question: how long would it take for you to get back your $250 for the gas caddy in gas savings? 

My Q has a big gas tank and when your going 40+ it drinks the gas fast. So it would not take long for me to get back money I would think in a season or 2 I would have that $250 back soon. We pull our boat to the gas station so it's a non issue for me. 

But another stipulation how fast does your boat go threw gas. If you have a 20 Hp outboard on the back it's gonna take you forever to go threw enough gas 

I would think you would lay it flat in the bed of your truck (another must have) and fill it up while laying down. Then drag it out wheels down and roll it like a hand truck to your boat. 

Question: how long would it take for you to get back your $250 for the gas caddy in gas savings? 

The fuel caddys tell you not to fuel the caddy while it's in a motor vehicle do to static electricity. Sparks and vapors do not mix. But then again,I'm always amazed at the amount of idiots that will sit in the vehicle and light up or smoke while filling.

And I thought that someone on this forum wrote that some states have a max on the size of canister that can be filled. So everyone should check your state law before ordering caddy's.

As I am not getting any younger, I have no interest in lugging gas down to the dock to refill.  I like speed...so I can see eating up some gas quickly on some occasions with a 200hp engine. That means more refueling, more often.

I am hopeful that fuel costs wont be too bad at the marina.  Since the cottage is new to us, and we closed this past fall, we just don't know.  It will be interesting to learn what the average mark up is on Houghton Lake, as opposed to the gas stations just down the street.  

Michiman...do you know the general costs per gallon on Houghton Lake?

Prices at the fuel docks last year ran pretty solid $3.69 all summer (except for on holiday weekends then it was $4.29+).  Granted pump gas uptown was just over $2.00 - 2.29 range for e-10 and 87 octane

I use the super siphon and it works great.  I haul which is a PIA, not to save money as I can only buy Premium ethanol free which is around the price of Marina gas which is corn with treatment.  I do it for my boat.  Carrying two 5-gallon gas cans is good for me as well

I have race cans for all of others toy that don't make it past a pump or need to stay away from E-10. I usually end up paying the piper while on the lake.... but my boats is usually on a trailer to and from. The super siphon the guys have listed here works fantastic as we keep them in our sleds for the CYA situations. I would assume they will be the best and least expensive option to can fill the boat. At my age (42-1/2) ;)  carrying 5 gallon cans isn't too much of an issue beside leaving nothing to carry the cooler!

Michiman...do you know the general costs per gallon on Houghton Lake?

Great question! I think we only bought gas at a marina once last year and it seemed to be about $1.50 to $2.00 more than at the gas station. With me putting in about 15 gallons a day, I figure I'm saving anywhere from $20 to $30 a day by carrying my own vs. using the marina. Just my opinion, but I'm betting that the majority of the difference in price comes from EPA regulations and pollution insurance.

When you take delivery, I'd ask the Spicer driver to stop at the gas station first before they launch you! That's what I did.

Back