Inexpensive Refueling Options

Make sure your marina allows it. Ours does not. There are signs on the dock and in the contract. If it is not permitted you can void your contract and loose your slip fee.

OK guys, here it is.  A friend of mine is a welder, so I came up with the idea and he put it together.  We had to lengthen the jet ski trailer in the rear about 15" so we could center the tank over the axle.  Then we built a cage up front for the 55' of farm hose.  I put a regular gas station nozzle on it so you can lock it while filling and it will click off when it gets back pressure.  So no spills.  The only thing is that most boats can't take the fuel as fast as this thing will pump it.  But the 5 gallon gas cans were a pain so this was a nice solution.  I actually use an old jet ski cover to protect it when not in use.  That way, just driving by it doesn't look like a fuel trailer.

Now there is some good old American inginuity. Nice work!

Thanks for the link! Might just have to invest in one of these...

I was considering it too, and then I read the Amazon reviews.  Sounds like it has a pump quality control issue where it may commonly fail after a few months worth of use.  Worth looking at before buying...

I was considering it too, and then I read the Amazon reviews.  Sounds like it has a pump quality control issue where it may commonly fail after a few months worth of use.  Worth looking at before buying...

I'll keep using my $7 super siphon!!! There is nothing on it that can fail.

Thanks for the tip. Didn't have time so far to investigate further but I'm all about doing my homework and reading reviews!

Thanks guys!  It does exactly what I need it to do.

Do you put the cans up in the boat, or is there enough suction to lift the gas up to the filler?

I carry them onto the boat. Unfortunately the fuel cap is on the opposite side of my dock. I bring two large beach towels and set up on the top of the L shaped seat & rear lounger seats. I place another one on the cushion of the L shaped seat. I then go back to the dock and grab two 5 gallon cans and bring them aboard and set them on the lower towel area. I loosen both caps but remove one fully after I move that can to the sat back. I then remove the fuel cap and use the siphon. Pre loosening the other cap will make it easier as your other hand will now be holding the siphon. I haven't dropped a drip in the boat yet after 4 seasons. I'll try and do a video this year.

There isn't enough suction so the gas can will need to be higher than the filler for best results.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read the reviews on the pump from Amazon as well. Some good, and some bad like everything else on Amazon. I've used it 5 or 6 times now and so far no problems. If I can get a summers worth of use out of it, It will be a great investment. 

Thanks for the tip. Didn't have time so far to investigate further but I'm all about doing my homework and reading reviews!

I am going on three years with mine and never had an issue. My brother has one also and we both love it.

I carry them onto the boat. Unfortunately the fuel cap is on the opposite side of my dock. I bring two large beach towels and set up on the top of the L shaped seat & rear lounger seats. I place another one on the cushion of the L shaped seat. I then go back to the dock and grab two 5 gallon cans and bring them aboard and set them on the lower towel area. I loosen both caps but remove one fully after I move that can to the sat back. I then remove the fuel cap and use the siphon. Pre loosening the other cap will make it easier as your other hand will now be holding the siphon. I haven't dropped a drip in the boat yet after 4 seasons. I'll try and do a video this year.

There isn't enough suction so the gas can will need to be higher than the filler for best results.

Bought a Super Siphon and two plastic Jerry Cans.  Works great! I can pop over to my storage facility during the night before i take her out and put gas in at the same time I'm doing all my other prep work.

five gallon cans

one of these     https://www.lowes.com/pd/Gorilla-Carts-6-cu-ft-Steel-Yard-Cart/999930538

and a flexible gooseneck funnel from Southern States

I can get three 5 gallon cans in the wagon. Hint - block them forward in the wagon over the steering wheels if backing down a hill.

Place the can above the filler neck with the funnel in the neck and open can. Dump the can into the funnel.

After a number of great responses to my original post, I purchased a "Super Siphon" from Amazon (link below) and used it for the first time this past weekend.  I placed my gas jug onto the rear of the boat on the padded area that covers my battery and changing station.  I was able to empty a 5 gallon jug with no drips in about 3 minutes.  It worked very quickly and easily, and it PAID FOR ITSELF IN ONE USE.  My current differential in onshore and offshore fuel pricing is around $2/gallon at this point.  I drip drained the hose into my tank, removed it, and placed it into a Ziploc bag and stuck it in my boat for the next use. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BG1X54/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's the one I purchased.  Highly recommended.  Thanks again for all of the great feedback.

I was turned on to mine after hearing about others on this forum with them. My neighbor last year saw me using it and came over to check it out. You can't beat them.

Back