Insanity On The Lake

Pittsburgh

Commodore
Reaction score
TB5.jpg

What is more beautiful more enjoyable than being on the water.

For those of us who purchase boats, live on the water, or respect nature what I am about to say is unthinkable.

The private Lake I live on is pristine.

Guests of homeowners come up and enjoy the lake and watercraft without property owner supervision which is illegal here.

Unfortunately everyone doesn't respect the lake as they should. 

While cruising on the Lake tonight we spotted 4 plastic bottles floating in the water.

Why anyone would discard anything intentionally or otherwise in the water is beyond me.

My next purchase will be a telescoping net not for fishing but to reclaim discarded trash from the lake I love.

Lake Security can't see everything but even as a child I knew better than to do something like that.

It has always been my motto to leave nature more pristine than when you find it.

I hope your body of water is respected by all.

Who can pollute anything this beautiful ?

SS852688.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah that pisses me off too. I hate seeing cig butts, soda/beer cans, GLASS & plastic bottles all around our lake. Not to mention the bait containers from the shore fishers. People are slobs ....... :-(

Along the same line, we have our pontoon parked at our dock, on a canal that is approx 30 feet wide, with about 20 feet of clearance to get around.  Unfortunately, the canal is not a minimum wake zone, and every now and then a boat will pass by at WOT.  I have had two signs saying, "SLOW PLEASE" made that are on both ends of my dock.

Last Saturday a young couple, with the gal driving come down the canal at full throttle, coming within approx 10 feet of my pontoon, and I am sitting on the dock.  I extend my arms in disbelief as they pass.  When they return, the guy is driving and he is going along at minimum wake speed.  I thank him for slowing down and he explains that his wife/girl friend has never had a boat.  She says she didn't see my signs. (As if, seeing the signs should make a difference)

We have plenty of bumpers, both on the dock and on the boat, so nothing gets damaged.

A resident down the canal, tried to get the area marked as a minimum wake zone, but with no luck.  To bad so many people lack common sense.

[rant] over.

We get morons on jet skis that think they don't need to abide by the "No Wake " signs 

Wait until the 4th of July. The idiots all come out that day. That's a day best spent on land.

We pick up trash all the time. I give people the benefit of the doubt that it just blew out of their boat and they didn't know.

Yeah I struggle with this all year long. I can't stand to see trash, but when I find "Fresh" glass bottles and such it makes me INSANE.....And I live in a cove and sure enough if people don't come ripping around at WOT at dusk....Im a youngish soon to be dad, and Im already yelling at them to slow down (It is a now wake zone and within 100 ft of shore)

I am a snowmobiler, & we have the same no-brain piss heads on the mountain as well.

Yeah, when I saw full size trucks out on the water in March I figured, that will be fun to watch the tow truck pull them out. The snowmobilers have been really good on the lake.

There was a time in our recent history when corporations and private citizens polluted without hesitation

Growing up in Industrial Urban America I saw it on a very large scale by both

But in today's world I can't begin to understand the thought process

Even if it was blown off the boat, take the time to retrieve it 

I can only try to remedy the situation through retrieval, I can't play Lake Cop

It saddens me to see this occur anywhere let alone on the lake

crying-indian.jpg

I spend most of Sat. mornings cleaning up others trash that ends up on my beach.....off the soap box for me.

Yup......... we have picked up lots of crap we see floating in the water. Water bottles, plastic bags, etc...........But my biggest pet peeve are the people who disregard the "No wake zones". We have reminded many boaters and jet skiiers and most are apologetic but of course we have the ones that ignore us.............

One more gripe.............we hate the people on jet skis that get too close to us to jump our wake as we pass by or the ones who follow too close while we're towing a skier/wakeboarder/tuber............ We've had to wave off a few............ 

Yep...and we are having a swan problem. And when the ski-doos taunt the swans, just make them aggressive and its not good for anyone...

We had someone hit a dock about 6 down from ours so hard last week it snapped the support. The boater left the scene. The same weekend there EMS pulled someone off a boat at the ramp on a stretcher, never got the details. I'm guessing alcohol were contributing factors. Thus why I remain sober to watch out for the idiots.

Don't Drink and Drive 

Applies to more than Cars and Motorcycles 

Everyone thinks they can operate a boat and PWC 

Sober or Drunk 

We all know better 

39413645.jpg

Just paid over 30.00 for a telescoping fish net with rubber net

Not bad for someone who doesn't want to fish 

Will use for garbage collection on the Lake 

Never thought I would say that 

The wife and I have gotten pretty talented at opening the bow door, her laying on the floor hanging out and me driving over random beer cans and bottles. Biggest thing I hate is then I have empty beer cans in my garbage and I can just imagine with my luck ill get boarded by a Conservation Officer and he'll give me a ticket!! It's why I've made a point of taking a picture of a floating can and posted my disgust on Facebook right then and there, just in case. 

What ?

Someone is much younger and more courageous than I (lol)

I will be sticking with the net 

Hopefully this will draw attention to the problem 

pittsburgh_desktop_1280x960_hd-wallpaper.jpg

WHAT?? You mean to tell me you've never gotten someone else to drive so you can lay on your belly and look under the boat as you go?? It's a great feeling!  One word of advice, do it on a CALM day!! Don't want to inadvertently take a 2 foot roller on the top of the head while doing it!! Haha

Don't Drink and Drive 

Applies to more than Cars and Motorcycles 

Everyone thinks they can operate a boat and PWC 

Sober or Drunk 

We all know better 

True, but you cannot deny the old saying that most good stories begin with............."Hold my beer & watch this"!

pittsburgh_night03.jpg

Enjoyed a beautiful day of boating and salvage pickup

Happy to report other residents are doing the same

There is a concentrated effort to eliminate the trash and catch the polluters

After speaking to Lake Security I was informed that ...

A significant fine 250.00 will be handed out for intentional lake abuse to the offenders   :)

Back