Welcome to Club Bennington

An official club forum for Bennington boats

Login Register

Installed powered sub today

Discussion in 'Pontoon Forum' started by Renegade34, May 31, 2018.

1. Baja 252

Baja 252 Well-Known Member

Okay a few internet searches and I figured out the Safety hub issue. Just need to make sure the RCA cables are right and where to run the on-off wire too under the helm.

2. DanielG

DanielG Well-Known Member

Baja, use the REAR RCA inputs. I can't remember about the "input level" switch but I think LOW would be correct. Try it and switch it if it sounds bad. lol. You're going to need to tweak it anyway. There is a good video on that SUB where a guy tells about both the 10" Punch Sub and the 12" Punch Sub. He describes which switch does what. That's what I watched.

As for the Auto Turn On, I didn't do anything but set the switch to "REM" on the Auto Turn On setting. At that point the Sub will automatically come on when you switch on the battery and power up the head unit on the stereo. I personally didn't run a separate wire for Auto Turn-On. By you plugging into the RCA jacks the and the power on the Sub coming direct from the positive battery terminal when you switch the battery on and the head unit the Sub will come on. I wouldn't cut into any of the harness to splice that wire without first testing what I did.

I'm not sure about the Safety Hub thingy you mention(I don't have that), but I have the same red battery switch. Just take the 4 screws out of the red switch and put your positive on one of the switches that you would normally turn on. The Negative can then just go to the negative on the battery post. The inline fuse would be wise. I just ran a short wire from the red Battery Switch to the inline fuse and then a longer wire from the other side of the fuse to the Sub. I used 8ga wire for power and ground.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Michiman likes this.
  3. Baja 252

Yes that helps, thanks
    I stupidly was thinking the Auto On only worked with the speaker wires not the RCA jacks. (told you I didn't know much about stereo's) Now I can remove that wire. :D
    I think I can finish it up tomorrow.

Michiman and DanielG like this.
  4. Baja 252

Just a follow up, I got the sub installed, hooked up and it sounds fantastic!
    A few more photos of my install.

I have stern radius seating. There's plenty of room for the sub under the seat, but the problem is the opening under the seats is too small to get it there. There was some earlier discussion on if even a 10" sub would fit under the stern radius seating.

It needs to go in here.
    IMG_5122.JPG
    IMG_5123.JPG

I really wanted the 12" sub and it's actually cheaper than the 10" sub on Amazon. After a lot of measurements and planning I was pretty confident I could get the 12" sub to fit.
    A few careful cuts with a sheet rock knife and I got the clearance I needed. The plastic is very strong and the seat back is still rock solid even with the hole cut larger.

IMG_5130.JPG

You have to feed the sub in the hole end first, but it then turns once it's inside and lays flat with the angle facing the center of the boat. I'll add a few blocks along with the Velcro to hold it firmly in place. I left a lip at the bottom of the opening so water won't find it's way in the compartment. We don't get our boat very wet inside, but I might add a piece of plastic along the bottom just to be sure it stays dry in the compartment.
    IMG_5132.JPG

IMG_5134.JPG
    This location gives great access for the wire connections and the battery.
    I drilled a hole in the back of my little glove box (new G helm) for the remote wire.
    IMG_5152.JPG

Made a bracket and installed the remote bass control.

IMG_5155.JPG

My next project is adding a USB port in front so passengers can charge their phones. I found this on Amazon, looks okay, anyone find anything that is better?
    Capture.JPG

Thanks to Renegade34 for starting this thread and every one that added to it and answered all my questions.

5. Renegade34

Renegade34 Well-Known Member

Nice job on the install! Glad you got it working. I think it's a great bang for the buck.

6. DanielG

DanielG Well-Known Member

Very nice. I have mine in exactly the same place only I didn't lay it down. I don't think I had enough clearance in my 22SSRX to lay it down, but I'm definitely going to try. You did a very good job. Looks totally professional. :)