Jump Starter

Great, Keith! Now, if ours will work. :)   

We might be calling you when our batteries go down, and the little device we have won't crank it. 

It's probably the same technology in ours that's in yours, but you just need a box large enough to accommodate a compressor, inverter, and other things. Hoping, anyway. Thanks for positive response on yours. I think my dad has something much like that one. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I had one similar( different brand )  only other option was a light and cigarette lighter, after a year or so it wouldn't hold a charge .And its heavy 

I've used mine to start the 3.0l diesel in my car in cold weather. A sticking interior courtesy light switch had been killing the battery overnight and it worked no problem. I have 2 batteries on the Bennington, but still keep one on the boat just as a backup of the backup.

Thanks Tom.. Good to know. I have both of the batteries in my boat, in parallel, so if mine ever do run down to that point of not cranking, I'll most likely have to disconnect them and use just one with the little jump starter. Two would most likely be pushing the limits.

I keep mine in my carry on . I had thought about keeping it  on the boat ,but on a 90 degree day with the cover on will it get over 140 ? I have seen how hot a car can get .

I had one similar( different brand )  only other option was a light and cigarette lighter, after a year or so it wouldn't hold a charge .And its heavy 

That's why I went with this brand.  Seems like all the cheaper off brand ones do exactly what you describe.  I've had this thing for about 7 years now and it still works perfectly.  It also has a light on it. 

I don't have dual batteries on my Bennington (because....I've never had an issue with that battery dying on me.....even after hours of radio use) so I bring this DieHard power pack with me on extended trips.....but not day to day boating.  I do plug the DieHard in about every 3 months to ensure it's fully charged.  I also keep it in my basement on a piece of wood....so it's well taken care of.

This is the one I have, and it comes with a compressor and inverter.  I had to use it once when a guy working on my radio left the accessory switch on, and when I showed up to the slip a few days later the battery was dead.  This thing started the boat right up.  It's a good confidence boost to know it works.

View attachment 1437

After reading this thread I became a little concerned that my Ankar would not work to its claim.  So, I went and used it on an old dead riding mower battery that's been dead for over a year.  Started it up immediately and still had 3/4 of a full charge.  Granted, the rider has a smaller battery than a boat but I'm hoping this is a good sign if I ever need it for the boat.  

My concern........At 400 amp peak current. Is that enough to start a completely dead battery?

Also I had a Schumacher jump starter from Costco. Had it for years. Only problem was that I never had the opportunity to use it. (Which was a good thing) Well we were at the ramp one day and the boat next to us had a dead battery. My jump starter couldn't start it either. Turned out the internal battery in it was also dead. Probably from non use and I used to charge it up all the time........

May have missed the earlier deals, but have been meaning to get one.  Thanks!  $69.00 today at "reduced" price on Amazon.

They will be on sale again .

I've tried to use mine 3 times. 3 times failed to even turn the motor. Junk! Total waste of money. My jumper was fully charged before each attempt. Glad I have SeaTow insurance. Would hate to think I had to rely on this thing. 

What brand ? ,There are several .

I've tried to use mine 3 times. 3 times failed to even turn the motor. Junk! Total waste of money. My jumper was fully charged before each attempt. Glad I have SeaTow insurance. Would hate to think I had to rely on this thing. 

Did you hook it up and let the battery charge a little while? I think some of these are more of a "trickle" charge type jumper, vs. a "hook it & hit it" jumper.

When I had a jumper I remember they said you had to recharge their battery on a monthly basis

Back