Keeping the Toons Looking Great

I'd like to dedicate this to Keith...

My process???

1) Buy a bunch of sh!t.

2) Buy some more sh!t.

3) Get up early and go outside

4) P!ss off the neighbors running grinder for 10 hours.

5) Swear a few times

6) Finally come inside after its getting dark and look in a mirror and see a white guy who is now a black guy.

7) Say "hi" to the wife and realize your voice sounds funny since your vocal cords are covered in black stuff.

8) Take three showers, the last using lanolin hand cleaner for shampoo and the kitchen scrub brush on your face.

9) Have lots of beer because your back hurts so bad you can barely stand up anyway. Might as well drink heavily.

10) Go outside on second morning and realize you are not even done with the first pontoon. Mutter "Jesus Christ there are THREE of them".

11) Bitch and cuss before you get started, just to get it out of the way early.

12) Use a mask this time so your not breathing tiny microscoping black aluminum particles.

13) Listen to neighbors crack funny jokes. Tell them you are here all week and tip the waitresses.

14) Get grinder caught in the tricky spots because you did all the easy parts yesterday.

15) Guess how many times that will happen before you drop and break the grinder.

16) Start to tell yourself no one can see BOTH pontoons at the same time, so no one will know if you quit half way through.

17) Cuss out guys on forum that talked you into doing this (ha ha)

18) Put shark hide on. Glue fingers together.

19) Use rubber gloves to put shark hide on.

20) Realize the "black" stuff magically appears when you put on shark hide

21) Make up some new swear words

22) Grind off all the shark hide and start over

23) Realize you are on day 3 after seeing same neighbors walking their dog for the sixth time

24) Swear you will never do this again.

25) Swear you will finish it this fall.

26) Realize you can't even see your pontoons when you are inside the boat.

27) Take photos for the forum from far enough away that no one can see what it REALLY looks like.

28) Take boat back to marina.

29) Throw grinder in fire pit.

30) Log in and tell Jared there's no way in hell you'll do his pontoons.

Man I hear ya brother. Woke up this morning and the first thing I thought was "Oh my God...I feel like I was run over by an 18 wheeler." I can't even walk straight. Still waiting for more sun to come up before I take pics but it looks nice...nice enough for me anyway. Kind of upset about the swirl marks on the starboard toon. That didn't happen until the final step with the flannel wheel but it was because I let the wheel get dry. I even lowered the rpm's but it didn't matter.

Yep. Got to the point where it was good enough for me too.

It's like most things. Even painting and caulking. Anyone can do it, but only a few can make it look perfect.

See #9.

Here they are.  You can look at the 'before pics' in this thread for a comparison.  The tubes sure are smooth.  They look even better when the sun is directly hitting them. 

gallery_300_298_1492202.jpg

gallery_300_298_473848.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith,

Congratulations on your project. It looks great!.... Now go enjoy the summer!

Definitely an improvement!  Well done

Looking nice -- good work!

Here's a pic of it with the sun hitting it.  Finally in the water for the first time this season!

gallery_300_298_180535.jpg

Good for you Keith. I'm going to wait until fall and pay someone to do it. Dan? Hello? Dan? Oh Dano... why is he avoiding me? . Almost like he does not want to shine my toons. Odd...very odd.

No way in hell I'd do this for anyone else.

Ha ha ha.

Ditto!

Jared, you'd have to prove you were dying and that shining your pontoons would somehow save your life for me to do this again.

Or buy me a six pack of Xingu. Either one.

By the way, I picked up 3 extra mph today! Must be the shine...

By the way, I picked up 3 extra mph today! Must be the shine...
Really? What was your RPM? Air temperature? Wind direction? Depth of the water? Had you eaten breakfast, or was it on an empty stomach? Was your cell phone charged? What about the anchor, was it stored in the front or the back of the boat? 

You know, just in case SOMEONE wants to question all the variables you used to get your 3 extra mph. Maybe put it all in your signature. Oops, wrong thread for signature talk.

Keith, looks great.  That sunshine will help stretch the muscles.

Ha ha ha. That's awesome Derrick! Too funny.

Looks Good .

I will also have mine done ,when ever the factory sharkhide need to be re-done.( if I can keep this one  that long ) 

I'll have to try the breakfast thing, maybe that is where my missing mph is. That little bugger. Toons look great Keith! Don't want the post nazi to come down on me for staying off topic.

I swear my body still aches from doing that project.

Back