Ladder Down Alarm

Kahlua0517

Reaction score
I've been designing an alarm for the swim ladder so that there will be both audible and visual notifications when it's down and the engine is running.  Since the ladder tucks under the rear deck you cannot see it unless you remember to look before you start moving.  My wife left it down the other day and we dragged it around for almost 1/2 a mile, fortunately at low speed in a no wake zone.

My plan involves a water proof N/C switch that will be engaged when the ladder is up and locked into position.  If the ladder is not stowed when the key is turned to the engine run position an audible alarm will sound and there will be a blinking LED on the console.  I'll post more info as I begin to build and install this system.  I'm doing this because my brother dragged his ladder from one end of the lake to the other and lost two of the plastic step inserts.

Anyone ever hear of anything like this?

Oooohhh nice, but I think an automatic power ladder retractor is in order too ;-)

I too, have done it many times...

Taking investors?!?

Nice !!

(I already have an audible alarm ... The wife screaming at me that I left it down again).

great idea!!  I have the same alarm system as SEMPERFI.

But if you smack that alarm to turn it off during a malfunction it only gets louder....

Or the alarm is people in other boats pointing at the back of your boat. 

Brilliant! I can't believe this isn't a feature from the factory.
That would be a nice option. B)

I figure that the parts will cost less than $100 with the N/C waterproof switch being the most expensive part at around $50.  Bennington provides a spare plug under the console that has a switched output from the motor key switch which I will use for the switched power. I plan on using a programmable audible beeper ($20) where you can load a 30 second audio file from you computer as an alarm, something like my wife's voice yelling "you left the ladder down dummy, you left the ladder down dummy". :D

Great idea. I'll take one!

Or, you could wire it so the motor won't start...

The ladder is always down when we're swimming in a cove. That would add a layer of safety. You couldn't accidentally start the motor when someone was in the water. Would be cheaper (no alarm). Just wire the switch into the ignition circuit between the key and starter.

Can you post a link to the switch you are thinking about? I'm going to look into this too, if you don't mind me copying your idea... Nice job!

You could wire it to prohibit the engine from starting if you wanted.  Here's the switch (it's actually a SPDT) and the link:     http://www.zoro.com/i/G1452053/?category=4773

5DKF7_AS01.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow. That's an interesting looking switch. Looks like it's perfect for your application.

Wow. That's an interesting looking switch. Looks like it's perfect for your application.

It should be perfect given it's design and mounting bracket.  I did spend over an hour searching the Internet to find something that met all of my needs.

I'd spend three days searching for the challenge if I tied that to my engine switch. Lol

Where does it say that's an NC switch?

Is the back of the ignition switch accessible under the helm? My guess would be not. To easy to hotwire the boat if it was.

Where does it say that's an NC switch?

Is the back of the ignition switch accessible under the helm? My guess would be not. To easy to hotwire the boat if it was.
I don't think that it does it just states that it's an SPST, single pole double throw, one N/C position and one N/O position both of which reverse when the switch is depressed.  The key switch wiring is easily accessible from under the console.

Sounds like a fun DIY project. I doubt the factory will buy in. If they do then I want FENDERS LEFT OUT alarms.

But seriously fiberglass boats don't have PLUG OUT alarms and the penalty for forgetting that is MUCH higher!!

I may have drug the anchor back to the dock once!!! I was anchored in fairly shallow water maybe 6' and the dock is in a deeper section. Still have the anchor!!!!:):oops::oops:o_O

Back