Ladder - Got to be a better way to pull out of water

rnusr01

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know about everyone else but seems to me getting the ladder up out of the water is a PIA. On my old toon the ladder was on a hinge and you have to bend way over to reach it and lift it up. On the new Benny it is the telescoping ladder but I cant see how that would make a difference. I was thinking about putting a rope tied to the bottom of the ladder or a clip of some kind and then tie it to the ladder rails that are mounted to the deck. This way you could lift up on the rope and the ladder would be easier to raise up well at least that was what I was hoping.

Is it just me or does anyone else think this is a difficult thing?

Thanks

I had never thought about that . That is the same ladder I will have on mine . Looking forward to hearing  the suggestions .

I have a bowed folding ladder on my benny and I always thought it was very well done compared to my only other boat, a SeaArk

I agree it's not the easiest thing to move. I've looked for an automatic one to no avail. The ladder is one thing that is typically forgot to raise when coving. A rope might assist in reminding, Something with a quick release, and you darn sure better remember that or it's going to be in your prop!

Since mine is still waiting at the dealer .

Would a boat hook work ?
boathook_tele_marina.jpg

Jack

Good idea never thought about that. I think that would make it a lot easier not having to bend over so far.

Rockie69

Good point about the rope would have to make sure the rope isn't long enough to reach prop. I like Jacks idea

I use that boat hook on mine.

My new Bennington is the same -- telescoping stainless steel ladder with no strap.  Agree, a strap to pull it up would be really nice and I plan to install a strap or rope.   I was going to ask the Bennington dealer if the pullup strap was missing from the ladder.  My 2013 South Bay 522 CRTT had a strap which made it very easy/nice. 

EDIT/ADD:  The strap on the South Bay was fastened at both ends on outside edges of ladder.  Don't think it would be possible to get in the prop if set up that way.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I also use the boat hook to pull mine up. Works great. I thought about a strap but the whole prop fouling thing scared me out of it. That sounds like it would work fastened on both ends though. 

Looks like my "hey goofy your ladder is down" reminder will be a boat hook stuck through the steering wheel,

Thanks for the tip.

I'm hoping the boat hook works as we have that ladder on our new boat. My wife and I have used the boat hook for years on our old pontoon. It works good for me approaching the dock. My wife catches the front and I can drive and hook our dock that has posts sticking up enough to grab. That allows us to hold the boat in position while running the SeaLegs up.

My question is how is that ladder for actually using it to get out of the water? Anybody used one with water that is not ice yet. I think they look nice and hope the kids can negotiate it to get back on the boat.

Works well for getting n the boat. Only thing I have seen that is better is the playcraft set up, and it's patented.

How about the same type of web strap that is used on the bimini with snaps

A snap set around the bottom rung of the ladder and on the other end use one of the mooring cover snaps to hold it .

Unsnap the top ,pull up the ladder then unsnap the other end .

Out of the way and stays attached when the ladder is in use ,and removed when stored .

Mine is still at the dealer ,so I really haven't seen the set up yet .

3459ffce6976115bb16a25fa13662f6c_zps129d39d0.jpg

I bring my 10 year old boy with me.  He is much more limber than I and a great deck hand.  I usually hear..."Hey Dad! Ladder's down!"  But, I think the boat hook is a cheaper way to go.

For those with a telescoping ladder, save your money on the hook since you still have to bend right over on a knee to attach the rubber strap that secures it.

Holy Hell.... It's Derrick !!  I thought you were frozen in the Ice up there...   Does the water ever get warm enough to swim up there????

Holy Hell.... It's Derrick !!  I thought you were frozen in the Ice up there...   Does the water ever get warm enough to swim up there????
Haha, we're still looking at quite a while for the ice to come off our lake. Not even an open spot along the edge yet! Sorry for being on hiatus, been researching/looking at new shower units for the basement bathroom we gutted.

Back