Larger Bennington boat cleats

keithkz

Reaction score
Does anyone know if Bennington sells larger boat cleats than what came on my boat (see signature block below) and if so is it possible to replace my stock ones with these larger ones? I'm using 1/2 braided nylon line to attach my boat to my dock and it's difficult to pass the looped end of my dock line through the center of those cleats. I can do it but it's a struggle.

if yours looks like this, to my knowledge it's the only other style available vs. the "standard" one.

Bennington-Pontoon-RCW-Cleat.jpg
Bennington-Pontoon-24-SSL-Cleat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I was expecting the standard ones and was pleasantly surprised when the " Bennington" upgraded ones were installed .

I had no problems using 1/2 inch 3 strand .

These are the ones I have now. Are the new ones any bigger?

tn_gallery_300_298_1185430.jpg

Here it is larger:

gallery_300_298_1185430.jpg

I don't know if they are larger ,or not . If the rain stops ,we will going to the marina and I can measure mine .

I will get the over all and the opening size .

Man thanks very much!!!!

I also wonder how hard these are to change out? Both the corner casting cleat ones and the other cleats.

Just called my local Bennington dealer. The corner cleats (castings) are $114 each and the other cleats near the bow are $52. If I can find out if I am able to dwap them out myself I think I'm going to change them out regardless because that would sure dress the boat up nicely. Plus one of my corner ones in the stern (the one I took a photo of) is all marred but from the previous owner.

They're bolted through the deck. Nuts are on the underside with washers.

East to get at or do you have to remove something else to get at them?

Easy. Deep socket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I see the bow ones look easy....deep socket as you say. However, I can not see how to remove the stern corner ones. I see three bolt heads on the bottom side there...the back two seem to be fair close to underneath it but they really look like they are for that railing that's under there. Are they the ones? They sure don't look like it. I just want to make sure I can change these out myself before I go and order them. Like I said, you're right about the bow ones....piece of cake.

I did all 4 from underneath without a problem but I only had 2 nuts in the stern (add jokes here :D ). No bolts for railing.

Well I ordered the two bow ones today from my local dealer since I know how to change them. I'll order the corner stern ones if they come off like you say.

Man thanks very much!!!!
If you still need it ,On mine the stern corner cleat base is 3-1/2 x 4 ,top of the cleat is 7 inches . the opening is 1-1/2 x 1-1/2

Oh wow that's way bigger than what came on my boat. My cleat is only 4" across, the I.D. is 15/16" x 15/16". So my dock line will fit far nicer in the newer cleat. The base on mine (not sure if I'm measuring the same as you) is 4 1/4" x 3". I was concerned that maybe the new base is way bigger because I only have like 5/8" from my base going toward my swim p[platform to where there is a snap installed for the boat cover. So if your measurements are correct then I should be just fine.

Does anyone know for sure either way if these new ones will work on my older boat (2005)? When I ordered the bow ones the dealer wasn't sure stating they just older it on the computer.....there isn't anyone at Bennington they actually speak to ask.

The standard one in the above pic does look bigger than the one on yours .

Well I cannot figure out how in the world the stern boat cleats are removed. I mean there isn't anything I can find to loosen to remove it. This is what's underneath it:

gallery_300_298_306979.jpg

I loosened those two closest to the stern for a while but then stopped because when I look at that it does not appear that they have anything to do with the cleat. I'll email Mandy at Bennington Monday but if anyone knows how in the world I remove this I would be very grateful.

Here's the top again:

gallery_300_298_10448.jpg

We have an S but I noticed when you order the rub rail you get the cleats with "Bennington" on them. I Hope the new ones work out good for you

Back