Larger Bennington boat cleats

Well I guess I won't worry about them because I went to swap out the bow ones this evening and of course the new ss ones that say Bennington on top of the cleat that I bought has the two bolts that are wider than the stock ones on mine so they don't line up with the existing holes in the boat. Should I/could I drill new holes for these new ones to fit?

Also, went to my local Bennington dealer today and we looked at the stern corner casting cleats on the new models. Now I know why everyone says 'there's two bolts/nuts you have to loosen to remove the cleats' because that's how it is on the new ones.....not on mine...not on an I/O. Still have no idea how to remove those but the two guys working in parts seem to think you have to remove the entire side skirt thing to get to them. Who knows.

So, as was previously suggested, just leave your freaking cleats alone and devise some other workaround to make your lines fit. The angst in this thread is making me want to drink heavily. Enough already. ;-) Life is short, boat hard.

I think I might just use a smaller line for docking. Maybe 3/8 . Just a thought.

It's not just about function....I love the new cleats....they're way more appropriate in size for my boat. One of the first things I ever noticed on my boat was how dang small the cleats were. Plus I like how these new ones say Bennington on them. I'm going to drill one new hole for each of the bow ones and get them installed this weekend. Don't see how drilling another hole should hurt anything.

It's not just about function....I love the new cleats....they're way more appropriate in size for my boat. One of the first things I ever noticed on my boat was how dang small the cleats were. Plus I like how these new ones say Bennington on them. I'm going to drill one new hole for each of the bow ones and get them installed this weekend. Don't see how drilling another hole should hurt anything.
I totally agree with the " looks " factor . Was I ever surprised when my boat was delivered with them ,as I was expecting the standard

Last edited by a moderator:
Keith, a thought, have an 1/8" stainless or aluminum plate made to mount under the new cleat that will be symetrical with the cleat and cover the extra holes. Steve

TB I would sure like your help here. I still cannot figure out how to remove and replace my stern corner cleats. I have tried TWO Bennington dealers in my area, your customer service number, and this forum. It is not like the new models and I have been told that they are more difficult on an I/O but that's it. Surely someone knows.

Maybe it just doesn't work. If they are that different, things change and maybe they aren't retrofittable (?is that a word?) you can't take a back seat out of a 2012 Charger and put it in your old 69 Charger. I mean, you could if you wanted to spend oodles of money, but would it be worth it? I agree the new cleats are fantastic looking, but maybe it's time to buy smaller rope.

My half inch dock line works in my existing cleats, it's just a little snug. 1/2 inch is the recommended size line for a boat the size of mine.

Keith, my wife has had family here all week. Just as soon as I can get back to lake I will look at mine. It is the same year as yours and the cleats on corners should be the same. Steve

Gee Steve, I would have thought if your wife had family visiting for the whole week you'd be hiding AT the lake!! Hehe

Derrick, this is my fourth marriage and this one is going to stick. Never had such good in-laws. All those years I thought it was me! Steve

Here's the old cleat vs. new cleat (bow).

gallery_300_298_101874.jpg

gallery_300_298_691.jpg

gallery_300_298_762649.jpg

Much Nicer!! Well done!

I agree, well worth the trouble

Excellent, looks great !!!

Keith, good install. Now let's get the rear worked out. Steve
I'm ready. It's funny because after I installed these bow ones today my wife was so happy with them that she actually asked me (with the tone of disgust in her voice): "Well why didn't you replace the STERN ones too???!" So looks like I have the green light to spend the $$$$ on them! LOL! I told her as of now NO ONE can figure out how to remove the old ones so that's why I haven't purchased the new ones for the stern yet.

Sounds like we married twins. Mine would have said "You only got the front two done in ______hours?" The new ones look great. I'm surprised it rolled out of the factory with those little ones.

Back