Larger Bennington boat cleats

Well I didn't order the stern ones, only the bow ones, because I never figured out how to remove the stern ones. With the bolts I see all along the underneath I wonder if you're on to something.....those bolts look like they remove the railing under there so maybeyou have to do that to get these stern cleats off. I sure wish someone knew for sure and could tell me.

If it's not raining tomorrow I'll look and take a pic of our boat.

Thanks Carl.

if yours looks like this, to my knowledge it's the only other style available vs. the "standard" one.

Bennington-Pontoon-RCW-Cleat.jpg
Bennington-Pontoon-24-SSL-Cleat.jpg
I did all 4 from underneath without a problem but I only had 2 nuts in the stern (add jokes here :D ). No bolts for railing.
Saw these when we went to the Bennington show room. They look great! Surprised Derrick didn't jump on this, Carl..............Keith, I've got the same rear cleats that you do. I'll take a look at them next time I go to the lake as far as removal is concerned. Carl should also have the same......................

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Daril, someone doing all 4 underneath with only 2 stern nuts is no laughing matter! A person can throw a back out doing that sort of thing! Especially at Carl's age!! Give the guy credit for doing all that and only having two stern nuts, and not even a bolt for railing!! Impressive I tell ya, impressive. Way to set the bar high Carl.

I guess I'm out of luck. I emailed Mandy (warranty person) and she gave me the customer service number so I called and spoke to this guy there and he really was of no help.....just saying what I already thought, that there should be two bolts/nuts on the bottom side. You can see the pic I uploaded here....those are up against the frame of the boat and not under the corner cleat so I cannot believe they have anything to do with that but I will remove those and see. I can barely fit a finger up inside the cleat and do not feel anything up there to remove. Frustrated.

I guess I'll shine a flashlight up under that corner cleat and see if I can see anything. The customer service guy did say that they're a little trickier on the I/O's. So there must be something up inside there but I sure couldn't feel anything.

http://

The I/O might be different. Both sides are the same Keith.

Thanks Carl. Yeah see the bottom of mine is totally different than yours. Like I said, I'll have to shine a light up there and see if I can see a nut to loosen. HAS to be something up inside there like what you can easily see on yours.

Keith, when the water gets warm enough that my old a_ _ can bear to get in, I will check mine out. I think it is probably hard to get to, like yours. Steve

Well I give up. I took a flashlight and looked underneath the cleat and I don't care what Bennington customer service told me....there is NOT any nuts to loosen up. Actually, what I DID see is that there is a tract that cleat fits into. If I didn't know any better (which I don't LOL!) it looks like that entire corner casting cleat was pounded on and follows that tract to keep it on. I do see the end of one screw through there but cannot see how you would get to the other side either. I'll call the huge Bennington dealer in Brighton, MI (Wilson Marine) and see if they have any idea.....if not, I'm done. Again, I could clearly look up under that cleat and see nothing to get at to remove it. Baffling.

Keith, you might try buying a stainless steel quick-link and installing it in the center of the cleat. This should let you insert the eye of the dock line through the quick-link and then hook it over the cleat ears. Just a thought. Steve

Keith,

Is there a cover that comes off? It looks like a cover in this pic ?? Maybe there's bolts behind this threaded into the side channel?

gallery_1371_170_6392.jpg

Yeah that's what I'm saying....it looks like this thing gets pounded off (in the direction of the stern judging by the tract groove that I can see up inside there. But that's not what Bennington told me on the phone yesterday.

On our boat, that corner casting is held on by the cleat.

I have a hard time believing mine is the same way because there is nothing I can see to loosen to remove that. Another 30 minutes and I'm gonna call Wilson Marine and ask them. When I go pick up the bow cleats I ordered from my local Bennington dealer I'm going to have him try and look in his computer and see if he can figure out anything as well. Cannot believe removing a cleat is so difficult.

Just called Wilson Marine. No help. They just kept telling me the same thing: "You have to get that cleat off first." I'm pretty sure the cleat and corner casting is all one piece. Sure wish someone knew what the heck they were talking about at Bennington because I'm telling you, unless you have to pound this thing off toward the stern there is no nut/bolt to remove.

I called my local Bennington dealer again....the guy I ordered the bow cleats from. He to insists that I have to remove the cleat before I can remove the rest of the corner casting, so apprantly he to belives those are two seperate pieces. Boy it sure doesn't look like it to me because I cannot figure out or see anything up inside there to remove. He actually said he would call me sometime after he gets out of work one evening and swing by my place (I'm only 10 minutes away) and look at it himself which I thought was very nice of him to offer to do that. Like I told him, if he can figure out how that comes off/on then I'll order the new ones from him.

Just do it .... order a NEW BENNI with NEW cleats ...... :lol:

Just do it .... order a NEW BENNI with NEW cleats ...... :lol:
Off topic but worth the story...

My neighbor saw the matching chrome domed numbers I put on my boat and asked where I got them as they looked great. I gave them the web site and explained they do many manufacturers in their own fonts so they should be good since their brand is very popular and well known. She came back and said "we couldn't get matching ones from our H_____!" to which I replied you could always get a Bennington to match the domed numbers LOL. She was not so amused as they just bought this boat.

Back