Launching & Retrieving Solo

Ski boat slides super-easy on approach...all the way up to the bow stop. I pull the power before I hit the trailer and slide gently up. Bride pulls truck forward as the bow touches the stop and voila...we're up and out of the water. If the boat isn't all the way forward as we pull to the prep-area, bride hits the brakes on the truck and the boat slides forward on the bunks to the bow stop. Hook up the strap, 2 turns on the winch and we're done.

By motoring in shallow water in a ski boat, sand is being disturbed. If anyone is upset that sand is being disturbed, they need to be on a motorless lake. There is no way to not disturb the sand. If that is the definition of "the problem"...then guilty I am. Because I use a ski boat. Not because I power load.

(for anyone that doesn't know, ski boats are fixed shaft with a 16deg down-angle out the bottom of the boat. There is no way to direct the thrust with a trim mechanism). 

Finally...I know you're not being an ass and didn't take it that way at all. I'm only writing THIS post to point out there is a proper way to power load. I do recognize and respect the magnitude of the problem. I do respect the people who have enormous investments in lake property and understand they have a much higher stake in the life of that lake...than the yahoo with a $7 launch pass. I have watched launch-ramp-follies on many an occasion and witnessed every intentional idiot, and every unknowing newbie mistake there is. I don't know how to solve the actual problem, which is the wash-channel and corresponding mound of sand and rocks at the end of the ramp. But I indeed do not consider myself part of the problem. I respect it exists. But in my opinion, me not power loading isn't going to improve anything nor slow a washout. Cheers Lakeliving. What you wrote needed to be written and the problem is indeed very real.

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in view of the boat launch and see everything that goes on. I'm probably a little more sensitive to it than others. Based on your prior posts Jeff I know you know how to handle a boat, it's the other weekend warriors who don't and create issues for others. Sometimes I don't know if I should shake my head or buy a sniper rifle. I think we can all agree there are different levels of power loading. Jeff, it sounds like you velvet load! I've seen some where it looks like they are using the boat to power the whole rig out

I really enjoy watching bass fishermen power loading their boats.  They're the height of efficiency.  And since so many fish many days weekly, they're very experienced at doing it.

I'm just glad we have great wide and deep concrete ramps on our lake.  Unfortunately, we don't have very many of them, however.

Good discussion gentlemen, and thanks for keeping it classy.

This is a great board!

Been boating for just about 30 yrs. now and we have never power loaded any boat we've owned. We've been blessed with 5 beautiful well maintained ramps to launch and retrieve our boats over the years in Virginia and we just float it off and float it back on the trailer.........

How's the new place coming?

Looks like the weather is going to hold, so I'll be heading out for my first solo boat camping trip this weekend. Can't wait to get back out on the boat. Thanks for the tips on loading! 

I'll be this guy on Sat & Sun nights. Those tumbleweeds sure do burn! :)

cathedral-in-the-desert-45.jpg

Jealous.  Hope it goes good for you..

How's the new place coming?
Great! Thanks for asking! Our builder did a great job finishing the house early and we moved in on December 1st a month ahead of schedule. We live on a peninsula and we have waterviews from the front and back. We've been pretty busy w/the unpacking, hanging curtains, pictures, furnishing the 2 guest rooms, etc. etc. Not to mention having to obtain a North Carolina drivers license, register and title 3 vehicles, our boat, and a trailer. But through all of this we managed to have a nice dinner w/Carl (CWAG911) and his wife Suzy. Looking forward to getting out on that lake and spending more time w/them..........

I'll post pics to the Bennington owners cribs section when I have the chance.........

Great! Thanks for asking! Our builder did a great job finishing the house early and we moved in on December 1st a month ahead of schedule. We live on a peninsula and we have waterviews from the front and back. We've been pretty busy w/the unpacking, hanging curtains, pictures, furnishing the 2 guest rooms, etc. etc. Not to mention having to obtain a North Carolina drivers license, register and title 3 vehicles, our boat, and a trailer. But through all of this we managed to have a nice dinner w/Carl (CWAG911) and his wife Suzy. Looking forward to getting out on that lake and spending more time w/them..........

I'll post pics to the Bennington owners cribs section when I have the chance.........
Congrats you lucky dog!

Congrats in deed!

Nice!!! Can't wait to see pictures. How far are you guys from Carl & Suzy?

That's great Big Kahuna, happy for you

It would be quicker by water than by land.
I have a feeling this was intentional!!!

When driving your boat is the from of transportation between point A to B...you're in heaven. Congrats!

Solo launch & retrieve went perfectly. Throwing the front door open and lining it up on the center as I came in was super easy. Thanks for all the tips. :)

Solo launch & retrieve went perfectly. Throwing the front door open and lining it up on the center as I came in was super easy. Thanks for all the tips. :)
Glad all went well for you. still jealous though..  B)

Same here Chris. I'd love to be out on the boat right about now.

AWESOME! Glad it helped. I KNEW SOMETHING!!! Wait until my wife hears. She is going to be SHOCKED!  :)

I know I'm late to this party but I solo launch retrieve every time out. Mrs. Spin takes the kids separate.

My routine is to back the trailer all the way down then pull up to expose 12" of bunk. I idle to the trailer and let the toons catch on the bunks. I'm close enough to reach my winch strap, connect it and crank her tight all from the bow gate. I kill the motor and balance beam walk the trailer stairs and tongue to the cab. Done!

Back