Launching & Retrieving Solo

Solo launch & retrieve went perfectly. Throwing the front door open and lining it up on the center as I came in was super easy. Thanks for all the tips. :)
I've only driven up on the trailer myself just a few times.  We have valet service at the marina so they put the boat in and out most of the time. 

I do remember one time coming up to the trailer with a cross wind.  I had to steer a little into the wind to keep the boat going in a straight line towards the trailer.  I think you know what I mean.  At the last second, I had to straighten out the boat so it was lined up with the trailer.  If it was a strong wind, your straight line to the trailer should be a little to the side of the trailer in which the wind is blowing from (upstream, so to speak).  Then, when you turn to straighten the boat out so it lines up with the trailer in the last few seconds before you touch the trailer, the wind will blow you back in line with the trailer.  Thankfully our marina is well protected from the wind.

When I was a kid (8th grade?) I always drove our boat up on the trailer (I was too young to drive, so my Dad backed in the trailer).  We boated on a river with a really strong current.  So, I had to deal with both wind and current.  I looked at it like it was a video game.  Now its like "Holy crap this is a $40k boat and I better not screw up!"  Ha ha.

Last edited by a moderator:
copy this into your browser.  This is the only way to launch solo.  Minn Kota Ulterra.  Bad A$$ fo sure.  grab the whole line even the 1Q. Sorry, couldn't get it to copy and paste right

highlight and paste the whole line. The link itself doesn't work if you just grab the underline section.  Sorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5ejwRj9t1Q

that's what I wanted to show everyone. Thanks  Bcpnick

That is cool as hell.  He made it look so easy remotely controlling that boat but I am sure it takes a while to get it down

Kinda takes the fun out of it. And he's not very friendly.     :D

SON OF A... Now I've got yet another "want/need".

I dunno...launching is the easy part. Retrieving...me thinks Ulterra will suck at that. :)

Yet another reason to stay on the boat longer! Win/win! :)

Freeze the video at 31 seconds and read the disclaimer. 

Another question re: solo in the wind

How do you launch solo in the wind?  The reason I'm asking: I took a demo ride when buying my boat and when launching he handed me a line tied to the bow cleat and as soon as the boat was in the water (and he was driving away to park the truck) the wind blew the aft end out into the water so basically the boat was facing the dock headon.   I didn't like that and was worried the engine/prop could hit the ground.  I was thinking when solo maybe having a line tied to the bow cleat AND aft cleat with both of them going to the truck would work but the one on the aft cleat would have to be pretty long.  Or maybe you could tie off the aft cleat someplace before floating the boat?     What if you are on the 3rd lane of a 4 lane ramp (no docks) with other boats on the other ramps?  You don't want your boat going sideways!!  What do you do in the wind and launching solo?

Personally, I tie two long lines to the cleats on the side of the boat I will tie to the dock once it is in the water. One line on the front cleat, the other to the rear cleat. Just like you said. Long enough that I can hold the lines in my hands when I am in the cab of the truck. I unhook the winch strap and back it into the water with the window of the truck open holding the lines outside of the truck, and float the boat off the trailer. Never letting go of the lines, I then get out of the truck having full control of both the front and back of the boat with their respective lines, and tie the boat off to the dock. Then I go park the truck and trailer.

I don't launch solo from an inside lane without a dock. Just wait for a dock labe to clear and go there.

I agree with Jeff about waiting for a better lane with a dock finger that will stop your stern swing in heavy winds.

Yeah, that's what I'm planning on doing... we have 4 lanes but only 1 dock -- I'll wait for the dock lanes and pick the side so the wind blows it into the dock when solo. Since most of the solo time will be weekdays I probably won't have any wait.

I launch/retrieve solo in heavy winds all the time. I have trailer guides on the inside of my toons which apparently keep me from swaying. I back the truck in deep enough to get her to float, climb aboard and fire up the engine, disconnect the winch strap and back her off.

I launch/retrieve solo in heavy winds all the time. I have trailer guides on the inside of my toons which apparently keep me from swaying. I back the truck in deep enough to get her to float, climb aboard and fire up the engine, disconnect the winch strap and back her off.
I like that idea (trailer guides keep you steady until you back it off)   I've been doing a little research on trailer guides too.

Check my gallery It'll show you what I did for guides. It works great, the one thing you don't want to do when getting back on the trailer is put the trailer into the water too far. If you do you'll miss the guides they'd be under water and not do you any good.. I leave about 2 feet of the toon rails out of the water that shows plenty of guide. The main secret to getting on to the trailer  straight give your self somewhat of a running start. "NOT FAST" but headway will give you better control in a broadside breeze.

For those launching and retrieving solo, this guy at our ramp yesterday learned the hard way...make sure the truck is in park! My wife went and talked to him while he was waiting for the tow trucks. When the truck came back into the water it pinned him against the dock and it looked like it broke his leg as it was a bloody mess. Could have been a lot worse as the truck could have run him over.

30363FB0-E106-409E-968B-25C2EF15E117_zpstakrkkgw.jpg

8B140A5A-7EAE-4DF7-A529-1080E3A2C90E_zpsg6plvjou.jpg

Ouch

I didn't read through all of the comments, but I power up the trailer when solo.

I back the trailer down as I would with someone there; with the rear upright in good sight and high enough that the toons will be guided up by it.

I open the gate and use the center of the trailer to guide me up.

Go forward in spurts of power; remembering never go faster than you're willing to hit something.

Tilt the motor in intervals as I go up the trailer while the back of the boat drops to prevent any shallow contact with the bottom.

When I get the boat up a little past the first uprights on the trailer, and resting on the bunks, I check the alignment of the boat with the trailer. If you don't line it up at this pint before powering on up, you stand the risk of going up at an angle and denting the inside of your toons.

When I get as far as I can with the trailer out of the water as far as it is, if needed, I'll hook the winch strap to the front of the boat, tighten to that point, and back the trailer down just enough to finish driving the boat up to the stops.

Then tighten the winch strap and pull the boat out to finish the process of securing it to the trailer for the road.

Back