Life Jackets

Thanks for all of your help

Also handy to have when you want to float around in the water "flinking". This is when you put it on your legs like a diaper and float/drink. We don't waste our time with pool noodles, as they never stay where you want when trying to float, and just take up precious storage space.

The dealer threw in a boater’s package, as well, with the same items others have listed. Now, I have a double pack of that stuff since I didn’t allow them to go with my first boat. He was already getting a heck of a deal. :)

20180529_195122.png

I purchased a lot of life jackets, as we have a variety of body sizes that ride with us.

My wife and I wear the inflatable ones since we don't even notice we have them on and we kinda feel we need to show the grandkids....

We learned an interesting lesson when the lake Patrol did a safety check on us. They pointed out that those jackets are labeled uscg-approved only if being worn. So if you have the exact number of life jackets on the boat as there are people, but you are not wearing the inflatable ones, they don't count.

Break Out Another Thousand.

BOAT.

I hadn't thought about the inflatables not counting if you're not wearing it. Makes perfect sense since it will sink if you're not wearing it. Just never thought about it. Thanks for sharing that tip!

I hadn't thought about the inflatables not counting if you're not wearing it. Makes perfect sense since it will sink if you're not wearing it. Just never thought about it. Thanks for sharing that tip!

I wonder if it counts if they are the auto inflate type? I understand the lanyard type not counting.

Ours are auto-inflate+lanyard+manual blow. I don't know if the lake patrol knows the difference tho'.

Be careful of the lanyard. The other day I was picking mine up and the lanyard snagged on the table post hole. I wasn't exactly planning to test the CO2 inflation at that time! $19 to replace it.

Ours are auto-inflate+lanyard+manual blow. I don't know if the lake patrol knows the difference tho'.

Be careful of the lanyard. The other day I was picking mine up and the lanyard snagged on the table post hole. I wasn't exactly planning to test the CO2 inflation at that time! $19 to replace it.

But at least you know it works .... ;)

But at least you know it works

LOL! Yeah, its a bit of shock at first! Not the severity of an air-bag inflation, but still a "What-the-heck" moment!

Remember throw pillows and ski vests also count towards the total you need onboard. We have 6 throw pillows. We use them to sit/float on while anchored in a cove. You know they are heavy duty if it can hold my 225 lb. butt up..........

Amazon is another good choice. I bought a 4 pack that came in a storage bag - it slipped easily under the helm. I keep a handful of kids vests under the rear seat. Our two ski vests (the only ones that get real use) are hung on hooks in the space behind the captains chair - I found plastic "over the door" coat hooks at a dollar store that fit the square rail perfectly! Keeps the vests and a throwable within reach but tidy & off the floor.

“I found plastic "over the door" coat hooks at a dollar store that fit the square rail perfectly! Keeps the vests and a throwable within reach but tidy & off the floor.[/QUOTE said:
Great idea! Hadn’t thought of doing that. Very accessible.

West Marine can also be your friend when needing gear but when I go or look online I always end up spending more than I thought I would.
Boats can be addictive and expensive. I second what has been said about not always buying the cheapest gear.
Not being preachy but I always show all new folks on the vessel where all safety gear is stowed and how to use it.
May be a pain but I have been on the water a long time and no one ever expects an emergency..

Back