LOOKING FOR THE RIGHT TRAILER.....

12voltman

Reaction score
I have have 2010 22ft GS series Bennnington. I am in the market to buy a trailer. and am finding that there are various flavors to consider....

• One model has V sliders for the pontoon to shimmy up on.
  • Another has struts that adjust up and down based on the tide level when you pull the boat.
  • Some models have 1 axle, some two.
  • Some have power winches, some crank by hand...
  • A myraid of accessories ie guides ,etc....

Any info or suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I just picked mine up today! Went with a Genesis double axle float on. Some will say you need brakes but it depends on how much you plan to haul/tow vehicle in my opinion. I didn't get brakes on mine but opted for the tandem axle as if I get a blow out I won't loose the boat, trailer, vehicle. I wanted galvanized due to rust resistance over painted. I'm only going to use mine for haul out in fall and the occasional visit to other local lakes. Mine towed home nice for the hour drive at highway speeds. I plan on using it Saturday so I'll provide an update then. My boat is a 22 sslx w/115 yamaha

Doesn't the law require that you have brakes on a boat trailer if the boat and trailer weigh over a certain weight (2000-3000 lbs. ?) regardless of towing conditions, distance, tow vehicle size, etc. etc.

3000 in Michigan. I'll be at 2700ish boat/motor/trailer combined. Gear will be in the suv so only have to add gas to that figure. I did the math and am under :D

I just picked mine up today! Went with a Genesis double axle float on. Some will say you need brakes but it depends on how much you plan to haul/tow vehicle in my opinion. I didn't get brakes on mine but opted for the tandem axle as if I get a blow out I won't loose the boat, trailer, vehicle. I wanted galvanized due to rust resistance over painted. I'm only going to use mine for haul out in fall and the occasional visit to other local lakes. Mine towed home nice for the hour drive at highway speeds. I plan on using it Saturday so I'll provide an update then. My boat is a 22 sslx w/115 yamaha
Lots of good information on various types here.http://www.trailersforpontoons.com
Jsut went to the website. This is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Thanks for the help!

Looking forward to the update!

Does adding brakes really cost that much on a trailer? I'm truly asking, I wouldn't even think about not having them from a safety stand point, but I trailer everytime, through a park with lots of wild life, so hard braking could be a reality! I'm surprised your boat would only weigh that much though.

Wow, I'm over 4100lbs with nothing on the boat with a full tank of fuel, plus trailer. Never actually looked before! :)

I have brakes on mine. Boat weight 2000 lbs+ then weight of trailer, fuel, gear, etc. I would never buy a trailer without at least surge brakes no matter how far I tow. In fact, I probably tow the least at less then 30 miles per year, but it only takes 1 idiot that doesn't stop for a stop sign or intersection and your done.

My $0.02 worth

Todd

Yes, I agree. I had 2 near misses with a prior boat so my pontoon trailer has 4 disc brakes even though I don't tow at all.

So we used the trailer for the first time Saturday and everything went great. Loaded up from our lake, and trailered 30+ miles each way. No issues to report. Looking forward to checking out other area lakes soon. Only issue was once we were back in our lake, wife drove the boat back to the dock home while I brought back the trailer. She didn't trim up enough coming in and drug the skeg into the sand. Now I have some scratches in the paint... She didn't realize the trim gauge while showing up, didn't mean the motor was "up" I'm just glad it wasn't me who put the first scratches on it!!!

I have a Yacht Club with bunks and guides, tandem axle with brakes on both axles, upgraded front ladder for easy access to your boat. All these in my opinion a must if you tow a lot. I tow 1000 plus miles a year easily and I tow tandem more than 50% of the time.

Holly Crap CLRD, do you tow your trailer & benny at the same time?

Good looking rig CLRD

Nice setup!!

Link

Yes I do pull both at the same time. I used to pull a v-hull ski boat behind my camper (for about 10 years), that is very common here in MN where I live. I was a little apprehensive when we got the benny and pulling that behind the camper because it is a lot bigger than my other boat. I have never seen it, before but heard people do it. So tried it and it was just fine and not a lot different than what I used to do, just a little bigger.

I picked up a bunk trailer from Paul's marine http://trailersforpontoons.com/ They we're a pleasure to work with. I used the trailer last week, pulled my 2275 with a Yamaha f250 up north 300 miles each way. It pulled like a dream ! I went with the disk brakes.

I fixed your link.

Back