Looking to buy a 22 or 24 with ESP

gregt909

Reaction score
Hi all,

Had performance boats for years but my wife wants a pontoon. Looking at a 22 or 24' with the ESP option and a 225 Yamaha. Dealer says it will do 40 plus and it will pull a skier. Looking for honest opinions here if that's true? Also would a 250 make a big difference? Thank you!

Welcome Greg and yes it will pull a skier and very easily. If you can afford the 250 then go for it. You'll like it when you have a bunch on the boat.

Dealer here has 2 with a 225 but i have seen others on line with a 250. Just trying to get over my preconcieved notions of a pontoon boat. Haven't driven it yet but I hope it doesn't plow as much as my friends 20' with a 115 merc. Kinda felt like driving a barge.

Where you located Greg?

I loved the test drive I did with an ESP boat -- too bad it wasn't available on an S model.  I really like the SPS, but I'm pretty sure my next boat (did I just say that?) will be an ESP.  

Your friends 20' with a 115 will be like a VW compared to a Porsche (ESP).

Last edited by a moderator:
Test drove a 2550 esp wit a yamaha 225 4 adult 2 kids 42mph on the speedometer. Though I bought the Yamaha 300 for mine for better fuel economy does 44mph. Make sure you get the bigger fuel tank you will enjoy having it for long cruises and with water sports. The 24 should go a little bit faster.

I have an SPS with 150 and wot is 38 mph.

Competition skiers , max speed is 36....

When I weighed all my options, I am happy I went with my setup

It all depends on your lifestyle and what you're going to do with the boat.  Heavy into skiing and tubing?  Carry 8-10 on your day trips?  Go with the ESP and the bigger motor.  The 225 and 250 motors would be best of they were SHO's.

We may eventually do a little tubing, but we seldom carry more than 4-5 people.  Our 24SSLX with F150 does fine and runs 40-41 mph.  I knew that it'd suit our needs when I bought it so I wouldn't have to get a case of PADS.  Our last pontoon boat lasted 27 years.  Heck, I just hope I can climb in a boat 27 years from now--or even get down to the boathouse.

Bama, you have PADS. It just took 27 years to incubate.

I think in his case it took a blown lower unit.     :p

SPS with the f150 and we get right at 40 mph with 4 of us in the boat 32 with 12 adults on board.Money was our hold back 40Gs was enough I just could not see spending 60gs on a boat but now an upgrade wont cost me that much!!!

I think in his case it took a blown lower unit.     :p
You got it, Carl.  I need to get rid of my old Starcraft, but they're hard to sell with the lower unit junked.  The old U shaped foam filled hull was the best riding, efficient 2 toon boat I've ever ridden in.

When you buy a bunch of stuff at the same time, it's all bound to start wearing out at the same time.  Our grandkids are almost 3 and  years old, and my wife's car is too small to carry them.  We bought a new Explorer this week. 

Now, my 1995 model travel trailer in the No. GA Mountains is ragged and almost embarrassing.  It's time to replace it too. 

Sounds like I need to sell the car, the travel trailer and the old Starcraft pontoon boat.  Maybe I can take the money and pay my next years' insurance premiums on so much "stuff."

I'm in Austin, TX and will be using the boat on Lake Travis. Not planning to ski behind it but it would be nice to know I could. The 300 Yamaha will yield better fuel economy over the 250?

Back