Mercury Survey

Jack M

Reaction score
I got a survey from Mercury Marine asking  my thoughts on if I would like to rent my boat ,or if I would rent  one from someone else if I were out of town .

My answer was no .

Anybody else get one ?

It just doesn't sound right to me! My answer would be no also to many things can go wrong.

Id let them rent my boat for 20% above what I paid for it. That's a crazy question.

Are you sure it's not a scam?

SCAM!!! Good call Carl!

It was directly from Mercury , I check the IP address before I respond to anything .

Here is the opening letter .

We Would Like Your Opinion
Mercury Marine constantly seeks opportunities to make boating better for everyone who loves to spend time on the water, and we’re asking you to share your opinion regarding a proposed boater-to-boater rental program. Given the popularity of online vacation rentals, such as VRBO and Airbnb, we’d like to hear your thoughts about similar programs for boaters. 
The survey is brief and should take no more than 10 minutes to complete.
Please click on the survey link below to access the survey.
Click here to open the Boat Rental Survey

Thank you for participating!

Ben Duke

Vice President of Marketing
Mercury Marine

Not a chance and why would an engine company care. I could see Bennington asking?.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the survey too.  I was stumped as to why they would do this too.

Just make sure you don't fill in, confirm any personal info. SS numbers etc.

Maybe trying to tease out the recreational users vs. the commercial users to void warranties?

Just a guess. If true...... very sleazy!

I'd do it if I could pay for my boat and lake house. Like, I'd buy a boat, say a 25 year old dilapidated vessel and a condo say in LOTO, and rent it out. But no way in shadooky am I letting some stranger use my boat unless it's completely paid for before they use it. And by completely paid for I mean they better give me cash (no checks) for the full amount of the boat.

Those folks at Mercury seem to be a tad bit off their rockers.

Now if they were to rent my boat and I were the captain, and I got to interview the renters. That might be fun.

My wife's family rents their cabin on glen lake for one week a year to a family that has been going up there for years, and the bennington is off limits. I know how people drive rental cars so I wouldn't imagine a boat would be any different.

I'd do it if I could pay for my boat and lake house. Like, I'd buy a boat, say a 25 year old dilapidated vessel and a condo say in LOTO, and rent it out. But no way in shadooky am I letting some stranger use my boat unless it's completely paid for before they use it. And by completely paid for I mean they better give me cash (no checks) for the full amount of the boat.

Those folks at Mercury seem to be a tad bit off their rockers.

Now if they were to rent my boat and I were the captain, and I got to interview the renters. That might be fun.
I wouldn't hold your breath that Hugh Heffner is going to be renting your toon any time soon with some of his bunnies.

Nothing parties like a rental!

Maybe trying to tease out the recreational users vs. the commercial users to void warranties?

Just a guess. If true...... very sleazy!
That would indeed even void the 7 year Platinum coverage .

Either way NO one is renting mine  

I was going to rent Derrick's boat but all three weekends are already taken, wish the season was longer up there 

Good one Link! I also heard there is fine print that the reservation is based on the current boat when booking, and is not transferable if the boat is changed. Given his boat turnover it makes it a very risky rental option.

Back