Michigan Winter Storage

Lone_Star

Reaction score
First year with the boat, and the storage garage has not been built. I am looking for options of storage, winterization, etc. Is anyone close to north Oakland county (Lake Orion) that has a good source for winter storage for a reasonable price?

My inlaws bought a house with an attached airplane hangar (2000 sq ft) (mine will be in there along with my jet ski and dun buggy) Not sure what their plans are for renting the remaining space but if they do I'll post up here.

First year with the boat, and the storage garage has not been built. I am looking for options of storage, winterization, etc. Is anyone close to north Oakland county (Lake Orion) that has a good source for winter storage for a reasonable price?
Not really local for you but I stored a popup camper and a Karmann Ghia with Mike Meier of Meier greenhouse in Brighton (don't have his number handy - you could google it). Though his store is on Grand River just west of Brighton he stored cars, campers and lots of boats in his greenhouses by his house in Howell. Haven't used him for a couple years (got rid of those toys) so I'm not sure if he still does it, but he was always a very reasonable cost. I think I paid about 300 for both over the winter. It was strictly storage though, not winterizing boats/vehicles.

Same situation here... Building an extended garage for the boat and toys... probably wont be done before winter.  How much does Wilson Marine in Brighton Charge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Kells; I am considering doing the same thing.... Building an acc. garage. I am starting another thread for suggestions for Michigan contractors if you have any suggestions. I am not sure how much Wilson in Brighton Charges. I am not really wanting to give them my business after dealing with (Wilson Marine Oakland) during the purchase process. ( I didn't buy from them).

I have my boat near that area and have used multiple options in the past with my Benny and the Four Winns I/O I had before.  Bottom line is that Wilson in Brighton was very expensive compared to options in the area.  They were a good $200 - $300 more expensive for haul out (I don't have a trailer), winterization, shrink wrap, storage, and drop in service.  I get the whole package done now on the Benny.  Based on whether you want indoor/outdoor storage, there are a couple options.  Colony Marine on Walton Blvd. in Pontiac has both indoor or outdoor storage.  I used them for repairs in the past and stored there a couple winters.  Haven't used them in 4-5 years, but they were reasonable back then.  I currently use Anderson Marine on M-59 near Oakland County Airport (Yammi dealer if you need warranty work).  Reasonably priced and they come pick up my boat out of the water, take it back to their shop, winterize it, shrink wrap it, store it outside for the winter, and then drop it back in the water in the Spring for a package price.   Some people have had bad experience with them, but I have used them off and on for the past 20 years and have been happy enough with them.  They only have outside storage.  Another option is Orion Marine on Lake Orion and they offer  package as well.  I had a bad experience with one of their salesman when Pontoon shopping (Berkshire... but hey, I bought the Benny instead!!!)) and refuse to do business with them.  Although, I had bought parts from them for my Four Winns in the past.  Finally, if you are just looking for storage and have or can rent a trailer, then I have used Universal Storage on 24 Mile Road near where M-53 crosses over.  Most reasonalbe price for just storage in the area at the time.  They have both indoor and outdoor storage.  I used them for about 3 years for the 4 Winns and year round trailer storage.  Call around and check prices between those options, but you have choices other than Wilson Marine (where I bought my boat) who was just too expensive to justify uising them for storage and maintenance.

Thanks for all of that information chateau, I was considering Orion Marine as we are on the lake, but I have heard many not so great things about them. I have heard good news about Anderson and will probably call them for a quote and also universal storage.

Not close, but where i keep my boat (caseville - michigan thumb), indoor storage runs $10 a foot for anything 8'6 wide and over (and is measured by boat length only, not trailer) and $8 per foot for anything under 8'6 wide).  My total for indoor storage is $240 per year (24' by $10 per foot) for my 2275 RCW.  They also charge $30 for summer storage for trailers.  Can't beat in my opinion.

Todd

Todd that is a great deal actually....for that price, I might consider the 2 hr drive to do just that...

Thanks Jack, but at 3.55 per sq/ft, that would be $~800 for the boat......

Yep,they get us pretty good up here on everything .

There is another Marina nearby charging $500 for indoor storage...

Do I need to "Winterize" the boat if we're storing it inside?  Can't I just put some Sta-bil in the engine, or is there more to it?

Their winterization fee is $115, and spring prep fee is $115...  Can this be justified?

There is another Marina nearby charging $500 for indoor storage...

Do I need to "Winterize" the boat if we're storing it inside?  Can't I just put some Sta-bil in the engine, or is there more to it?

Their winterization fee is $115, and spring prep fee is $115...  Can this be justified?
Unless it's heated, inside or outside doesn't matter, as it's always subject to cold temps. For outboards, you really just need to make sure there is no water retained in engine by tilting it full down on the trailer. Otherwise, "winterization" is usually a good time for inspections, recommended lubrication, battery disconnect/storage, fluid changes (these cost extra), fuel treatment, etc.

In the spring, they re-check fluids and inspect mechanicals, charge and install battery, fire the engine, etc. to make sure it's ready to go.

Just under 1k for me last year . In door and full service on winterizing the motor .

Do you get it shrink wrapped if it's stored inside over the winter or is just the playpen cover enough? Obviously protecting from mice would be a must either way, right?

I don't bother getting mine shrink wrapped for winter indoor storage but I do load it up with Bounty dryer sheets.  No problems as of yet

No shrink wrap ,yes on the dryer sheets 

Back