Mooring anchor recommendations for G22

gblake

Reaction score
Hi,
We bought a G22 which is being delivered next week and we plan on mooring in a small (250 acre) freshwater lake. We have a dock which we will attach the bow line to, but we are looking for suggestions for the size and type of anchor we should get for the rear line when we moor the boat. The water is about 15 feet deep. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you!

I don't understand what you're trying to do if you have a dock.

Is the dock shorter then the pontoon?

Yes. The dock is shorter and we are only going to tie the front of the boat to the end of the dock and the back will be out beyond the dock in the water. At most, only about 8 feet of dock would be on the side of the boat.

So it sounds like this would be how it’s permanently docked: front tied off at dock and rear tied off to moring line attached to lake bottom...?

I would think a simple anchor would be totally insufficient over time - if I am interpreting this correctly. The side of these is like a big sail if ANY level of wind or waves kicks up. I think you need to secure a concrete or deeply imbedded moring stake into the lake bed, heavy duty chain from that to a floating moring ball, with moring rope from that to the boat.

I’m thinking you need a regular anchor buoy, not just a basic anchor. I would check with a marina that has open water anchors for boats. We have a yacht club close to us that use probably 3-400 lb. anchors

Other option is 2 fenders placed near dock ends and tie off as shown. The spring lines keep boat from moving fore/aft. The short lines keep boat from moving out from dock.
Excuse the drawing, it’s not fancy .....

71A306CE-2062-4D34-AD64-A440C1416EA3.jpeg

Agree with SemperFi's drawing above. Especially since on a small lake that hopefully doesn't have monster waves pounding the docks. Try as a test as he suggested and feel how well secured it

Yes SEMPERFI8387 has your best solution ,that's what I was thinking rope both ends and secure to dock with longer lines at both ends. Mount fenders in the middle of dock. Rope cheaper than Anchor!

If you read the OP's post he said there would be 8' of dock on the SIDE of the boat. Smitty's drawing needs to be turned 90 degrees.

A G22 has to cost some real coin; is there a reason a larger dock or boat lift can't be added? Personally, I'd be less than comfortable trying to jury-rig something, even on a small lake. Storms do happen...

I took SemperFi's drawing as the boat crossways at the top of picture (horizontal rectangle) and the narrower part below being the END of the dock sticking out from shore.

If you read the OP's post he said there would be 8' of dock on the SIDE of the boat. Smitty's drawing needs to be turned 90 degrees.

That is 8’. Drawings not to scale. It just represents a side tying method. Nose in, I personally think there’d be issues as you could only use a busy anchor out back. A G22 should be around 22’ of deck unless extended, but at 22’ you’d have 7’ front and rear overhang. Putting BIG bumpers at each end of dock and tying off side is only option I can think of, other than possibly whips, or an anchor buoy.

Any option of bolting a 6x6-20 to the dock???

Can't believe his is the only dock that length, what are others doing

That is 8’. Drawings not to scale. It just represents a side tying method. Nose in, I personally think there’d be issues as you could only use a busy anchor out back. A G22 should be around 22’ of deck unless extended, but at 22’ you’d have 7’ front and rear overhang. Putting BIG bumpers at each end of dock and tying off side is only option I can think of, other than possibly whips, or an anchor buoy.
Whips are a good idea if possible.

Can't believe his is the only dock that length, what are others doing

Not sure why the side tying method would not work. I've lived near the back of a 75 foot wide cove for about 30 years. There are no wakes to deal with, but the wind does blow from the mouth of the cove regularly. I have always had a 10 x 10 floating dock and have always tied my pontoon up like this.
docked.JPG
With previous boats (a 25' Sylvan, a 22' Sun Tracker and a 22' Bennington), I was able to center the boat against the dock and access it via the starboard side door, but my latest Bennington has no starboard side door so I am trying it as shown with access to the extended rear deck. So far so good.

I have two dedicated very short lines that stay on the dock. I installed a stainless steel u-boat through the side skirt for one line and connect to the boat with a snap hook. There other line has a loop at the end and it is matched to the rear cleat on the boat. Makes docking a breeze. I have typical vinyl dock edging and two modest fenders (about 5" x 15") that stay tied to the dock. I don't need any huge fenders to protect the boat from the dock.

Where there's a will, there's a way... :)

Sunedog - I'm not trying to make you mad at me like I seem to be good at doing lately, and I read your post three times to be sure I didn't miss it, but if you have no starboard side gate why not dock on the port side? I get that it's easier to see, but I have the same boat as you, and I dock port side most of the time because I like using prop walk to swing the stern end into the dock Dukes of Hazzard style, even though it's harder to see. If you did that, you could dock midship, and if a storm was coming, you could tie both bow and stern corners to the shore (like to a screw anchor or something). Just a suggestion.

Last edited:
Back