Mooring cover support poles!

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
I'm having trouble with my mooring cover support poles. When I get a heavy rain, the cover starts filling with water and then becomes a pool. It starts with the poles not holding the adjustment, and gradually sliding down slightly from the initial weight of the cover, then slide all the way down after the weight of the water becomes more.
I've looked for a way to tighten the plastic clamps, but I don't see that a possibility. I've also tried putting several zip ties around the inner pole to help in the gripping, but after a storm last night, I went out and saw that the cover was just a pool liner.
I've thought about squeezing the inside pole slightly, just above the top of the outer pole, but hate to make that kind of alteration at this time.
What have you guys done?

Only way to fix that position on the poles would be a quick zip screw. If you just put it in the inner tube you could always pop them out to alter if need be. If you jam it through both you pretty much just fixed the pole length.

What about applying a couple passes of blue painters tape on the small diameter shaft right where it slides into the bigger one to form a wedge. Worth a shot.

Yes I know how that sounds, no other way to write it.

You guys don't have a metal thumbscrew?

What about applying a couple passes of blue painters tape on the small diameter shaft right where it slides into the bigger one to form a wedge. Worth a shot.

Yes I know how that sounds, no other way to write it.
If that’s what works for ya!! ;)

Mine have Torx screws .If I remember it is a T 15 ,could be a T 10

Mine are the ones with the plat lever lock. You open the lever, adjust, then just push it back toward the pole. Mine don't have the cap like that at the top, but they slip into the wider piece that is a part of the cover, itself.
v-p-x47a-plug_lg__68779.1469113382.190.285.jpg

So you don't have the black plastic pocket/vent in your cover?

Yes, Andy, I do have the vent pockets in the cover. The poles in the pic are like mine, except for the top. Mine do fit inside the vent type cover.
I was just trying to show what kind of adjustment system is on my mooring poles.

Mine are the ones with the plat lever lock. You open the lever, adjust, then just push it back toward the pole. Mine don't have the cap like that at the top, but they slip into the wider piece that is a part of the cover, itself.
v-p-x47a-plug_lg__68779.1469113382.190.285.jpg
Mine are the same for the mooring cover, I have the twist lock for my trailering cover. I think you can adjust this lever a little tighter and that should help, my poles like that haven’t ever loosened up.

I’ll take another look at them. I temp fixed by wrapping electrical tape on the smaller tube.

Hopefully it doesn’t make a black sticky mess. That’s why I suggested the painters tape.

The Torx drivers are cheap ,I got a set of 7 craftsman for about $10

Mine are the same as KC24. Wouldn't know the screw is there unless you look for it so take another look

The Torx drivers are cheap ,I got a set of 7 craftsman for about $10

I've got a set of torx drivers, as well. I have a 2000 Jeep TJ. Lots of torx bolts on that thing. :)

Back