Mooring Cover Warranty Work

303 will be ordered this week. New cover this year on my 2013 GL2075. How many coats will it take and about how far will a can go, or how many cans will I need?

Thanks for all the great help.

Last edited by a moderator:
A gallon is what it'll be. I had the boat wrapped last month but I took all cloth off first and have it stored. In February I'll get everything out, clean if nessary then spray all covers and Bimini as well. If the Rug comes out as good as you say, That may get a coat of 303 as well. depends on how much is left. Just the wife and I so nothing is abused. $59.00 at Amizon isn't bad. Be on it's way next week.

We'll be out on the water in 14 weeks, but who's counting.

Are you washing your Bimini/cover ?? If so what process are you going to use? I have a front load and thought gentle cycle but not sure what soap I want to use .... your thoughts ??

I'm curious to see what the responses are to machine washing.

The canopy supplier we use washes our Sunbrella canopy in a huge industrial washer every year, dries it, then folds it up neatly, and drops it back in the boat for spring installation. Fabric treatment is also an option. I'm not sure whether the Surelast would tolerate that, but it's a similar material. 

I'd hate to see your expenses spreadsheet Tom!! I'm surprised they don't fold it into a swan or something for you like on a cruise ship!

You'd have to have a large washer to fit the cover. I know the one on our 22' boat seemed like a decent size and weight which would require a larger washing machine

$100 picked up and delivered for a 30' x 120" canopy, clean as a whistle, ready for spring. Not bad if you've ever tried to handle and clean one that big on a driveway. Pray there is no wind if you do ;-)

That is not bad at all. I'm sure the regular care will make it last for years.

Has anyone got the mfg. name or tag to called them to get an idea what they recommend  for cleaning and what cleaner to use?   My best shot would be the driveway with dish soap. and a soft long handled brush. The bimini and its cover are clean so the work would be the main cover. 

Ivory Flakes. Works for me. Soft brush, Ivory Flakes a good rinse and some drying sun. Then 303.  I'll be set for the summer.

You guys are talking about using the fabric 303, not the vinyl 303, right?

Sooo since they don't seem to make Ivory Flakes soap anymore, are you guys just making your own? Thought maybe I would do it too so did a search for it. What method would you use? Dissolve in warm water and wait till cool then brush on?

Maybe a mild dish soap would work. The problem with all this is gettin rid of the suds  Ivory Flakes 99% pure. Do they still make the hand soap? This or I may sound stupid, but I'll ask anyhow. What type of soap is made from Vegetable oil?

Life was simpler back then but the toys weren't as good.

Be careful applying the 303 High Tech Fabric Guard.  I put it on my new canvas seat covers, and ended up with unslightly splotches.  

303 is extremely expensive stuff, and it just doesn't go very far. 

Had I had it to do over, I would have gone to an upholstery supply outfit online and ordered a Scotchgard upholstery treatment for much less $.

I used my wife's sewing machine to sew my seat covers.  I couldn't believe how hard it was to just get a needle through the canvas.  It's relatively light, but very, very tough stuff.  I had to do some hand sewing in places, and it took a huge needle and wire pliers to get the stitches in the canvas.  The proper thread is some incredibly tough stuff, and it's hard to find locally.

What go the blotches the vinal seats or the canvas? I've heard the Scotch Guard will work, Does it come as a liquid or just a spray

Liquid would be best.

Back