Muskrat Love

Michiman

Reaction score
On the way to lay up our boat for the year, I noted a muskrat swimming around in our marina. Cute, I thought! Heck, I didn't even know we had muskrats around the lake!

An hour later I happened to strike up a conversation with another Benny owner when returning my boat to the dealer for the winter. Earlier this year he went out to go for a ride and it wouldn't start. Upon further inspection he found the electrical wiring at his engine had been gnawed off.

It seems that muskrats like to enter through the holes in the transom and then cause major destruction! Never, ever, gave it any thought and never, ever, heard or read of such a thing. He suggested having heavy duty screen placed over the two holes to keep them out. Upon mentioning this to my dealer, I was told that such damage is not uncommon and that they install the screen upon request. Of course, I added it to my work order. 

So, while I may just be more ignorant than I thought, I figure I'd post this in case someone else out there may be unaware of the potential problem. 

Sounds like a swimming version of a squirrel or rat ! They like warm motors in the winter. And they can destroy some wires under the hood.

I've seen situations where they've managed to sink boats with the older OMC and Volvo I/O's, eating right through the bellows. Pesky devils.

I had critters chew through a wire harness under the hood of my '05 Tacoma. The engine had to be partially disassembled to effect the replacement. To the tune of $2200. Fortunately, my vehicle comp coverage paid for it.

State Farm asked me to save the old harness in case it was requested of me. They thought some kind of litigation was anticipated because it was a wide-spread issue. They thought the wire manufacturer had used some kind of corn by-product in making the wire insulation.

They never asked for the chewed harness and I never heard any more about how the story ended.

This is what I installed after we had $1500.00 worth of wiring chewed.

gallery_1200_147_75406.jpg

That was quite interesting

Yup when we were checking our boat out before we bought it we noticed the transducer wire was cut or chewed. The dealer said there were 7 other boats in the marina w/the same problem............muskrats were chewing them! 

Here in NC a neighbor who has a waterfront home in the cove we slip our Benny in told me that the neighbors got together and hired a trapper. He has "relocated" 11 muskrats this summer.

Carl, did they get to yours even though it's on a lift? I see them swimming around every once in a while but assumed I'm safe with it in the air. It would have to be a Muskrat Ninja Warrior Challenge for them to work their way back to the motor.

We have them on our lake and the only way to rid them is to load the 20 gauge! They are terrible. Will eat all wires exposed in and around the water surface. They love the moss and chew through what ever has moss on it. Will chew holes in your dock floats too! My neighbor had wires chewed through transducer, lights and main power cables to the motor. Muscrat, RIP!

I'm in city limits so I have to watch my method of removal. I do have a technique that works for barn swallows though....

It was before we got the lift.

That's what I have.   :rolleyes:

My guess would be that means relocated to the afterlife. 

Sometimes killing is a good thing.

Just ordered a tri toon with same set up.  Was wondering if anyone has had this problem in salt water. I have seen otters in our lagoons. Just wondering if I should get the screen put into the build.

It won't hurt Bob. BTW, used to live in Brielle, Pt Pleasant and Jackson.

Back