My humble abode

mtudb24

Reaction score
Can't come near the quality of Gee's photos, but here is our little getaway from the every day rigors that life throws at us.

It's a relaxtion magnet in the thumb of MIchgan.

Parents bought the 2 lots in 1971. Built the cottage in 1979. Added a large 26x24 garge in 1986 along with a 10 foot wide mud room between garage and main cottage. 1995 added the sun room facing the bay and the dock with all the windows. We can see the bay perfectly from this room.

2009 my father passes away.ln September. Dec 23rd 2009, my uncle (fathers brother) calls me and says you better come see this. 250,000 gallons of water go through the house through a broken hot water pipe in the upstairs bathroom. Dad had a 12KW generac generator off of natural gas that automatcially keeps power to the house. So the hot water heater keeps pumping and the cathedrial (Spelling??) fall down due to humidy. 1 wall was left standting. The field stone wall that goes from the fireplace all the way to the cieling of the 2nd floor. There was a 8 foot wide skating rink that surrounded the cottage from the flood.

My uncle who was his insurance man and him insured for full replacement value on all of the cottage. So all modern appliances and ammenitites were put in the place of the old stuff. Even the exterior wood was replaced by vinyl siding. It sets on a crawl space, so the furnance and all duct work was replaced.

My father had the exterior shell built and finished off the interior himself along with help from fellow teachers. it was bitter sweet when we tore the old walls down and found the scorecards written on the dryall of the euchre games played between the men and women that helped build the interior of the cottage.

One thing of note, until 1998, the sea wall was used to dock the boats. That's how much water we have lost since then. My dad had pontoon boats from the early 70's through 1985 before going to V Hull fishing boats. I ran V hulled fishing boats until 2011 when I closed the loop and went back to what he started by bying a poontoon boat. He never got to see my pontoon boat and I like to think he is pround that I followed in his footsteps.by buying a boat with "logs". Obviously, bennington wasnt around back then and his choice was Harris Floteboat.

The cottage overlooks the bay. From this picture, we have about 30 yds to drive the boat, turn right, then about 60yds until we are in the channel that leads to Saginaw Bay. We jump on plane as we clear the last seawall and its about 1/2 mile before we are in 7 feet of water.

Sorry to be so long winded, but the values he taught me not only on boat seamanship and other skills, I can never repay him enough for all he has done for me.

Todd

Awesome story and a great tribute to your Dad!

Nice looking place. I'm sure your dad is proud.

Great story, like to hear others backgrounds. Looks like your flag is attached to the light on top of the Bimini, how big is that flag and what did you use to attach it? Like the look but any problems because I wouldn't think that light staff is very sturdy in a strong wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Every week when I'm up at the lake, especially when I'm on my boat, I dream of having a lake front home. Very nice!! I also love the boat!!! Nice color.

thank you all for the kind works. Looney toon - we were given this flag by a local band called C W Colt who actually opened for Jimmy Buffet at one time.. My wife and I got married in Key West in 1999 and had our reception dinner at kelly McGillis's place (top gun hottie) and she took pics and signed our guest book. Had so much fun there. We also returned to Key West for our 10th anniversary.

We love that area and we love fishing. Have caught everyting from barracuda to sailfish to grouper to yellow fin tuna , amberjack, jack cravalle, dolphin, etc. and the list goes on and on.

Its funny, I'd say saginaw bay at least in our area is probably 6 to 7 to 1 in pontton boat vs any v hulled or jet boats. But to our dismay, vey little Benny's. We have 2 in the canal behind us (from Wilson Marina) and maybe 1 or 2 more in Beadle Bay marina but not much more then that.

Thanks again all for the nice comments. I really appreciate it

Todd

Great looking place Todd. I'm sure when ever there is an empty seat on the boat your dad's spirit is there riding around too. Thanks for sharing!

Very cool story. I love reading these memory type stories. Makes you really put stuff in perspective.

As a dad you don't realize how much that means. Our thoughts are always with our kids. But when it is your son(s) you hope they grow tall and strong and remember a small amount of the things you tried to teach them so they could survive on their own. I am sure he is proud of the fact that you appreciated him... and his efforts. Nice story. Great legacy!!

Thanks for sharing that story. I second Semp's and Corkboy's comments. I couldn't have said it better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great story about your flag and memories of Key West! I fly the Key West flag to honor my ancestors that played a big part in the history of Key West in the 1800's. They built and lived in the house before Hemingway bought it. They owned the wharf at where Mallory Square is today in Key West. They were a large part of the Wrecking industry and have a Museum in Key West that portrays their history. Check it out if you go back.

Looney Toon... That is awesome. Very cool family heritage story from a place that has many many deep roots to our country.. To Dano, Corkboy, Semper, lake Living, and all the rest of my "bennington family" who took the time to read this and comment on it, I really appreciate the responses.

This time of year is always hard for me. My father lived for 2 things. His family and making sure they were taken care of and exposed to as many activites as possible to make sure we didn't miss out in something we may have enjoyed. His biggest love was waterfowl hunting and fishing. Both things I love to do and have passed onto my 2 young kids. He was my football coach during Pee Wee and I have followed that as I have coached for 3 years my son who is 9 years old now and in his 3rd season of football. He loves to fish and loves to hunt ducks, geese, and deer. I will sometimes catch him spying on my phone conversations wtih my uncle on how many spots we have open for a particular weekend to hunt (same as I used to do as a kid with my dad) and see the smile on his face when I answer yes, we have room for you in the blind this weekend.

I would love to hear other stories of our bennington friends and their past and how they group up etc.

Time is everything. Its something we all never have enough off and its the most thing we wish we had more of (Besides money :) So for you to take time out of your day to read and respond to my my post, it means the world to me.

Todd

This month will be very unique for us. 3 weekends in a row at the Lake. We spend a weekend with Jill's parents ( in their 70's). Last weekend with my parents (in their 80's) and this weekend will be with our daughter(with a bun in the oven) and son-in-law. The toon allows us to get them on a boat that is stable and comfortable. It also has the power for Jill & I to water-ski and pull the men tubing. The kids have had 10 people stay at the lake and use the boat. The memories are priceless and we are blessed for the health of our family and that we enjoy getting together.

I also was reminded how impressive the Bennington looks. We usually only gas and go at the marina but with parents we stopped and ate at the marina cafe. Our boat is 5 years old but I still got into multiple conversations about how good it looked, how we used it and what the performance was. Then we went out and floated for hours with no TV and lots of conversation. Makes for a great weekend.

Really enjoy all the stories and history makes all fathers proud I am sure. Our Benny has been great for all. Right after we got the boat my good friend who has a big Nordic(fast boat) asked if we thought we could get his parents on our boat. His Mom is in a wheelchair. We were able to get her up next to the dock and into the queen chair. Gave them a short tour of Dale Hollow. Neither his Mom or Dad had been able to get on the lake before. They are both still talking about their day on the lake.

Love my Bennington !!

Not a Benny. They weren't even thought of back then. My dads 1971 Harris Flotebote. But more importantly, look how much water we have lost compare to where my Bennington is parked now at the sea wall. This was taken circa 1978ish. I was 8 or 9 at the time

That Harris was a Big boat! I can imagine the memories you have on it!!!

I never udnerstood why my father wasn't a fan of the sun. The canvas was always downon the boat and he wore long pants and flannel shirts. He had his 1st heart attack atage 43 (Im 42) while laying in cornfield hunting ducks. After that he became a diabetic. After multiple open heart surgeries, then his kidneys failed and contracted panrecas(spelling) cancer. He lived out his last few years on dialysis 3 days a week, took insulin 4 times a day, and finally as I brought my son up to see him in the hospital, (where my wife was his nurse at Beaumont Troy), he gave up the fight. It was tough to shield my son from seeing them working on his body.

But he is in a better place and I really feel that he is watching over me especially on the water and during duck hunting. The first time we hunted ducks on the bay where we spread his ashes, we had the shoot of our life. Limited out on divers (bluebills, redheads and mallards) with my uncle (his brother) and my 2 cousins which were his 2 nephews). I am by far a religious man, but that day sure meant something.

We as a family played a 2 man scramble golf at least once a year. I still have the score card from when my dad, his brother and myself and my cousin played. He always said, old age and treachory will always over come youth and skill. We'd drive it 280yds but in the other fairway, and they'd drive 150yds right down michignan ave. We lost 6 under par to 4 under par for 9 holes. They played great. Love that memory.

Todd

Back