New boat light question

I have the plastic, Link. Maybe the cheaper ones, but they do serve me well. Maybe an upgrade in the future.
So far it seems that those with plastic dock lights are saying they work fine, are they brighter than the stainless? 

So far it seems that those with plastic dock lights are saying they work fine, are they brighter than the stainless? 
Yes. And even brighter with the Silver Star bulbs.

It's beginning to sound a lot like the old, "Form vs. Function" debate. Maybe the lower profile of the stainless ones, which I agree are better looking, restrict the light output to a narrower beam? I can't say, since I have only the plastic ones, and they work fine. I use our boat to fish often, and have accidentally stepped on the light housings more times than I want to admit, and so far they have held up well.

Keep in mind that all plastic is not like a styro-form cup. Typically engineering grades of plastics outperform metal, which is why almost everything is made from them. Oh, btw, did I say that "Plastics" is how I made my living for 43 years? I guess watching "The Graduate" worked out for me! Lol

I went with stainless after watching the plastic ones on my in-laws 2007 Benny start cracking around the mount screw.

Like they all say, the underwater lights are just COOL. We sit a lot at night and it's neat to have them on.

I cut out the center section on those plastic "for looks" vents on the back and mounted lights and then mounted lights under the front deck between the toons. It looks cool at night and even though most lakes don't allow them to be illuminated while underway, it helps in keeping you visible while just sitting.

You guys had to go and post photo's of those lights!  Just when I had decided to be somewhat cost efficient and forego the underwater lights you had to go and post them!   :lol:  The dealer is going to love me for continuing to add on!

Hate to tell you newboat but IMO the side lights are even more impressive so be sure to add them as well

I have a 2005 so naturally my dock lights are plastic but they light things up VERY well.  There is a channel that connects my 45 acre lake to the next lake over which is 860 acres and those lights are great for lighting everything up. I also use them pulling up to my dock and it lights up my entire house as well.  Again, my boat is a 2005 and there is zero cracking on my plastic lights.  We do board from the stern though.

I am curious about these Silver Star bulbs...somehow I'll have to figure out exactly which ones will work on my boat.

I am also wanting to get the under water lighting as well.  Saw one on our lake last year during the July 4th fireworks and could easily see the lights from a long ways away.  Just wondering how much that will cost to have it installed from the dealer because there is no way I have the time or knowledge to install that myself.

Keith, I looked at the boat build and underwater at the time of the build is $834.  Naturally it is going to cost more than that for aftermarket

TH Marine LED-51867-DP Underwater Light, Blue $22.50

If I knew how to post a link I would but this will have to work. This is off the Amazon site. These are the lights I installed on my toon. one on each side on brackets at rear of toon under water. One each on rear deck. As I said before, I cut out the center section of those fake vents and mounted them in the hole. And I mounted one each between the outside and center toon up front. The wiring isn't too bad if you take off that shield between the deck and the toon.

Would probably would want to use rope lights if you plan on running them along the sides.

I got a good hook up on the lights and wiring so my cost for parts was $0 and I had about 6 beers during the total install

Please note: if you don't order underwater lighting, you will most likely only have one bracket on rear of one toon. My dealer gave me a bracket and I had it welded on. He had told me there would be two..uuuh he was wrong so be sure you order with both.

Toon'r, keithkz is like me when he said "I don't have the time or talent to install."  Wish I did have it but just don't

TH Marine LED-51867-DP Underwater Light, Blue $22.50

If I knew how to post a link I would but this will have to work. This is off the Amazon site. These are the lights I installed on my toon. one on each side on brackets at rear of toon under water. One each on rear deck. As I said before, I cut out the center section of those fake vents and mounted them in the hole. And I mounted one each between the outside and center toon up front. The wiring isn't too bad if you take off that shield between the deck and the toon.

Would probably would want to use rope lights if you plan on running them along the sides.

I got a good hook up on the lights and wiring so my cost for parts was $0 and I had about 6 beers during the total install

Please note: if you don't order underwater lighting, you will most likely only have one bracket on rear of one toon. My dealer gave me a bracket and I had it welded on. He had told me there would be two..uuuh he was wrong so be sure you order with both.

Would love to see photos of the install....it actually doesn't sound that difficult.  I'd actually rather have green lights instead of blue though.

Here's a YouTube video from the manufacturer on how to install...I feel like I'm capable of doing this but my biggest concern is the ability to run the wiring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZsclPxNX1M&feature=plcp

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know which SilverStar (Ultra) part # would work on my boat (2005)?

Actually my dealer today told me H3.

The head mechanic at my local dealer has said he'd install the underwater LED lights for me for $30/hr labor....side job...at my house. Toon'r if you got some photos I'd lI've to see them cuz I'm still having a difficult time picturing in my head where you mounted yours by reading your posts.

The head mechanic at my local dealer has said he'd install the underwater LED lights for me for $30/hr labor....side job...at my house. Toon'r if you got some photos I'd lI've to see them cuz I'm still having a difficult time picturing in my head where you mounted yours by reading your posts.
I really suck at this picture importing thing. But I got the pics in the gallery. Sorry for taking up that space with a boring pic. Anyway, This is where Iplaced my lights. Also have two underwater mounted on the brackets on rear of toons. I removed the side shields and routed the wires over to the bottom of the helm and up through the existing hole up into the back of the helm. There was an existing hot & ground coming from the ACC switch just waiting for something to be plugged in. Hope this helps

Back