New Boat Owner, anything I should do prior to my first voyage?

azray007

Reaction score
Ok, I'm now an official member of the Bennington family and my old boat is now the property of my boat dealer.  I always here, if I would have done "x", I would have been much better off in the long run.   So, with that said, before my first voyage, is there anything I should spray on the upholstery, toons, bimini, cover, etc. while the boat is still new?  I'm good with all the boating tips and safety gear, just looking for some pre-maintenance that might make a difference to the longevity of my boat in the long run.

Thank you!

Sharkhide, should you choose to go this route, needs to be done immediately. This is just a cosmetic thing though.

Proper motor break-in is critically important, in case you're unaware of that, but if you've been reading here, you probably already know this. 

Everything else can wait a week or two or three without  much adverse repercussion.

Get some 303, but don't wait to use your boat if you don't have it.

No debate. Just answering his question. Note that I said "if you choose to go that route".

But I will ask you this. If you don't like Sharkhide, why would you bother with 303? Both are cosmetic preventatives. Neither is more important than the other in my mind. Both are equally important if you want to keep your boat nice, and resale high. I do both, by the way. But you don't NEED to do either one.

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for 303, is because it's the suntan lotion for your boats upholstery. Like your skin,if you don't protect it.It will show serious deterioration. Sharkhide might give a shine on the pontoon, I feel it doesn't do much more than that. I'm glade that you all want to try to keep your boats toons looking new. Other than that, it's nothing more than an on going upkeep item that must be maintained. Just my opinion.

No debate. Just answering his question. Note that I said "if you choose to go that route".

But I will ask you this. If you don't like Sharkhide, why would you bother with 303? Both are cosmetic preventatives. Neither is more important than the other in my mind. Both are equally important if you want to keep your boat nice, and resale high. I do both, by the way. But you don't NEED to do either one.

Ok, I should have caught this by now, but what is this magic 303 that is mentioned throughout the forums?  Is it a brand name and if so, what 303 should I get?  I'm somewhat a perfectionist, but have already decided to give up on trying to keep scratches and marks from the toons and rub rails.  I know that is a losing battle, but I should still be able to keep the interior looking pretty good!

Ok, I should have caught this by now, but what is this magic 303 that is mentioned throughout the forums?  Is it a brand name and if so, what 303 should I get?  I'm somewhat a perfectionist, but have already decided to give up on trying to keep scratches and marks from the toons and rub rails.  I know that is a losing battle, but I should still be able to keep the interior looking pretty good!

Ok, I found 303 on the internet.  So, it's a brand.  Any specific products of theirs that is better or preferred over other brands? 

Sorry, I should have explained the 303 better. I was confused by the names of their products  the first time I learned of them too.  Get the Aerospace Protectant for vinyl.

I'm on my 5th year with the gallon jug I bought. A little goes a long way.  It started coagulating in the jug last year, so I may throw it away due to age. In the future I'll probably just get the large spray bottle. Costs more, but it will stay fresh. I did use some on our second trampoline spring/pad cover and three summers later it hasn't faded  at all. Looks brand new. The first one looked pretty bad after two years, and disintegrated the third year. I'm sold on the stuff. 

It is very wise of you to have already "let go" of the dings and scratches you'll get in the toons...

I'm in total agreement on the 303 protectant. The stuff is excellent,when used on most surfaces of the boat.I actually keep a spray bottle of it on the boat with a rag. It keeps the sun tan lotions and bird droppings from being absorbed into the fabric.Also an excellent product for the cars.                                                                                                                                                            

Ok, I found 303 on the internet.  So, it's a brand.  Any specific products of theirs that is better or preferred over other brands? 

And their fabric guard is another fantastic product for the factory cover and bimini top/cover. It's a great waterproofing product. Works well on my wifes Mini convertible! Sharkhide not so much. LOL

Is there any surface on the boat that you would recommend not putting the 303 protectant on beside the fabric/canvass?  (I know they have a 303 product for those surfaces as well.)

As I said before and can't say it enough if you care for your boat. Keep a spray bottle and a rag that you used putting 303 onto the seats on the boat. I tend to wipe down the seats,top rails,helm and wind shield. I do this mainly because my boat is subject to a lot of salt spray. But I would think it to be a good habit for anyone.Oh ya, I don't always spray,just use the rag with 303 residue.

Is there any surface on the boat that you would recommend not putting the 303 protectant on beside the fabric/canvass?  (I know they have a 303 product for those surfaces as well.)

Is 303 good to put on the outboard plastic motor cover?

After a thorough cleaning, I use Ultima Paint Guard Plus on my black Verado engine cowls. There are very good instructions HERE

Once waxed, I keep vinegar/water mix in a spray bottle to rinse off water spots. An engine cover keeps UV at bay while on the lift. Only put the engine cover on a clean and dry motor or it will scratch it, just like a car cover does.

Don't use 303 for vinyl on your carpet, if you have it.  Or let overspray get on it. You will fall in your ass.  It makes carpet very slippery. That may sound odd, and it is odd, but trust me.

Using their fabric stuff on carpet is fine.  Just not the vinyl stuff.

My list is of course just a IMHO!!  

1.  ENJOY YOUR BOAT!!  Even during your break in of the engine, when you need to go slow ENJOY it!  ;)

2.  I also use 303 in the seats and covers/bimini.  I do the seats maybe every other weekish.

3. ENJOY YOUR BOAT!!  :D

This isn't something that you should add to your boat, but just a little advice.

Don't trailer your boat, at any speed, with the table in place. It will blow out on the highway! Ask me how I know. That was something that I just didn't think about until it was too late, and some guy told me that something flew out of my boat back about 25 miles.

This isn't something that you should add to your boat, but just a little advice.

Don't trailer your boat, at any speed, with the table in place. It will blow out on the highway! Ask me how I know. That was something that I just didn't think about until it was too late, and some guy told me that something flew out of my boat back about 25 miles.

Very good point. Also, secure any cushions that are not hinged or attached with a strap (ask others how they know!). This assumes that you do not tow with the mooring cover on, as it's not intended for trailering.

Back