New Hull Idea...

kaydano

Reaction score
I was just looking at the ESP video trying to see if the height of the center ESP tube was the same height as the outer tubes, and it dawned on me, what would happen if Bennington combined the ESP center tube with the twin elliptical package??? In other words, a three elliptical tube hull?

Probably wouldn't bank as well. Buoyancy would be huge though. Guessing it would plane extremely quick.

Hey Derrick, you probably could order one up custom made and have the only "ESPE" hulled Bennington in existence...

I'll look into it, might be tight with 3 esp's, 32 wide x 3 =96"= 8 ft, so 1.5-2" between toons

You wouldn't need a wave shield!

Yeah, that's probably too tight. It quickly approaches a flat-bottom. Or, deck boat.

I'm sure Bennington tried this configuration at some point (if I thought of it, their engineers thought of it), then scrapped it for whatever reason.

Three ellipticals would be so buoyant that it'd beat you to death when hitting waves.

The whole deal with 25" toons on each side is to get the boat to lean into the turn like a V Hull boat. That way, the outside toon is out of the water or barely touching the water--not causing drag which drops your mph a bunch.

Modern high performance tritoons are handling and performing like fiberglass boats, but with the room and quality seating that no reasonably priced or sized boat other than a tritoon can give.

Would be awesome on a 10 foot beam boat!

Hmm, but having all three be esp I don't think would work, it would corner like crap. Part of what makes the esp work so well is the outside toons can roll effortlessly, if it was elliptical it would have to push against the "flatter" part on the outside. I'm basing these thoughts partially on motorcycle tires. I know, huh? But if you know bikes and you have ridden some custom bikes, you throw a 180,240, or 300 tire on the rear, you turn like junk. They aren't flat, there is curvature, but it takes a lot more work. So I think that would relate the same to pontoons. Whatcha think?

I agree on cornering. I mentioned in my first post thinking it would not bank well. But for the speed junkies, I bet it would be fast. Good point about getting pounded by waves Bamaman. Sounds like it might be more as an upgrade to the "twin ellipticals" package (which doesn't carve a turn either). But, what do I know. Just a little old "S" over here with a 115 and some idle thoughts over a few beers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idle thoughts? or beer stupor Pal :p

Me thinks the folks at Bennington will continue to stay on the cutting edge of technology. I'll let the PHD's of toons think up the ideas. I sit back and reap the bennyfits. Se what I did there BENNYfits... Lol

When I went for demo rides during the fall open house I was conflicted between the Bennington with ESP vs another very well known brand claiming the highest performance tri-toon hull (patented). I was in the car with the marketing director on the way to Diamond Lake for the demo ride when he handed me his cell phone with the head engineer on the other end to answer my many questions. Needless to say he rattled off at least 10 reasons why he made the choices he did, nothing to do with the patents, just his way to balance the tradeoffs of safety, acceleration, top speed, handling, comfort, noise level, etc. I've driven both and I think they've made the right choices with the ESP as it is.

Back