New QX

This is the second time in the last week I have seen people say that the cost of a a larger motor was only slightly more.  I looked up the msrp of the 300 and the 350 and the 350 was $4,400 more. 

I'm far from being able to discuss a Q model, but as for horsepower, I took the conservative route when I bought my boat and bought the standard 200hp etec. Dealer said he spoke with evinrude, thought the additional weight of the motor would cancel out the performance plus make the boat ride a little lower in the back.(100lbs more) After the fact I spoke with the mechanic and told him the story and he about fell over. Told me the boat would do an easy 4-5 more mph and the weight would of only matched that of a 4 stroke. Oh yeah did I mention it was only $700!!! Long story short, go for the most as you'll only wonder about what it might be like!
adk we have the same floor plan and sps but I have a 200 Yamaha and get 43.8. Probably could get more on bigger water. I wonder why your e-tec is that low.

Lakeliving, I'm not too sure why but I haven't hit more than a blip of 42mph on my GPS. I've been messing with prop but no more top speed. the boat still hangs in there 37/38 with 7 adults and gear, just can't bang that 45 I was hoping for. I was told the standard e-tec was a solid 200hp motor but the 3.3 HO motor would be closer to 215 or so. I'm extremely happy with the boat and we do get compliments on it all the time......... but I still wonder what it would do with the HO. I checked right after we got it and it was $4200 to trade up to the G1 HO and $7100 to do the New G2 HO as they would have to re-rig the boat (fly by wire) I almost traded up this year to a GCW2375 with the 300, but my wife got laid off upon returning from maternity leave so that killed that till next year!

So back to the point....... buy the most you can now as all you'll do is wonder!!!! Like me! :D

I was hoping for 45 as well but am almost there. Sorry to hear about the change in your wife's employment status. Hopefully something turns up for her.

I'm far from being able to discuss a Q model, but as for horsepower, I took the conservative route when I bought my boat and bought the standard 200hp etec. Dealer said he spoke with evinrude, thought the additional weight of the motor would cancel out the performance plus make the boat ride a little lower in the back.(100lbs more) After the fact I spoke with the mechanic and told him the story and he about fell over. Told me the boat would do an easy 4-5 more mph and the weight would of only matched that of a 4 stroke. Oh yeah did I mention it was only $700!!! Long story short, go for the most as you'll only wonder about what it might be like!
My F150 is seeing 40 mph @ 6000 rpm's, and others with the same boat you and I have report the same top end with the Yamaha Reliance 15 pitch prop. 

But you may have better acceleration than I do. 

The one thing I noticed that I thought would be worse was additional passengers and gear. The boat planes in about 2.5 seconds and nails 40 as fast as I can trim the motor, but when I put 6-8 people on the boat and the additional coolers etc. the boat still runs 37/38mph. I would of thought it would have slowed down a lot more? right now i only run 5400rpm light load, I've been screwing with props trying to get to 5800rpm but have not had any luck with Evinrude props. I'm looking at trying to get my hands on  mercury Vengence 15P but i haven't busted out the wallet for it yet. It could always be worse...... I could be riding someone else's boat!! :D

What do you have on there for a prop now?

If weight of an engine would cancel out the HP, why would the OEM even make the engine then.  I hear this all the time but cannot wrap my head around this theory.

If weight of an engine would cancel out the HP, why would the OEM even make the engine then.  I hear this all the time but cannot wrap my head around this theory.
I agree. Balance, center of gravity, hull lift/efficiency, etc. are much more important than static weight.

I'm running an evinrude Viper 16 pitch. My assumption with the additional weight of the HO canceling out any performance gain for the money and man is that wrong!!

Back