New toon thoughts

Michiman

Reaction score
Pulling the trigger on a 2016 2574 GCW with a tri-toon ESP being the major option. Coming from a bowrider which, although not real big (19' & 190hp I/O), was very watersport capable. Honestly, I wasn't looking for a switch but the admiral wanted more room for company.

Although I know this isn't a ski boat that we're purchasing, I do have two son's that when they do make it to the cottage every so often, like to hit it hard. The dealer is pushing a 200hp Verado but I'm leaning toward a 250hp because I want to be able to yank them out of the water even with a boat load of people (say 5-7).

It's been twenty years since I've even been on a "pontoon" so I thought I'd ask those of you with similar models or experience whether a 250hp rigging will be enough. 

This will be a major paradigm shift in my boating life as I never thought I'd own a toon. I'm also used to storing my boat indoors year around, so having the new one sitting outside from now on will take some getting used to. No more waxing it every couple of weeks, that's for sure!

Your biggest challenge will be making sure it is prop'd correctly. Discuss this with your dealer up front and set your expectations with him. If it were me I'd go with as big of a motor as you can. In some cases the cap. plate can be changed to accommodate a larger motor. If you are strictly asking 200 vs 250, 250 has my vote.

250 for sure!  Why does the boat have to sit outside.  There will be plenty of things to polish.  If not, just come to my place and I will let you have at it lol.

Go with the 250 Pro. We're at 3 years on ours and love it, no issues. Even after coming from a direct drive inboard Malibu for watersports, the ESP rocks.

I have the Yamaha 250 SHO on my Q2550.  I would not want anything smaller.  I'm still trying to work out my prop issues.  Hopefully the Yamaha props should be shipping this next week and I'll be dialed in.  

Anyway, I would say to take the 250 if it works for you budget wise.

250 with ESP will be awesome!

Some great feedback guys, thanks! 250 is within budget and it sounds like it will get the job done. I will definitely discuss prop choices as well as mounting position with the dealer. Given their sales volume, I think they should be able to steer me in the right direction. 

I live a block off the lake so we will have to rent a slip for the summer. As such it will sit in the water all season. Indoor winter storage is pretty expensive and this rig won't fit under my 7' garage door so will have to shrink wrap. That said, I'm sure I'll adjust.

Based upon some of the posts I've been reading in this forum, I'm getting pretty excited about our sea trial tomorrow!

If it will sit in the water, make sure to clean the toons regularly. Buildup hampers performance. If it can be on a lift that will help a great deal.

I have 250 Evinrude Etec 250 2-Stroke on a 2375 RCW w/ ESP. I can pull skier, wakeboard, tube or pretty much anything you can think of very easily. Motor has a ton of torque for quick plane and a top speed of around 49 mph (gps). Now... I would have opted for the 300 if I were to go back and do it again. Your boat is a little larger so if budget allows go for 300 hp.

I had a 200 Yammy on my last one and went with the 250 on the current one. For me there isn't a lot of top speed difference, but I'm sure that's because I added the Sport Tower and enough extra stereo gear an batteries that make it seem like I always have an extra 3 people on board at least, so only had I think around 2.5-3 mph faster top speed. 

The 200 will probably do anything you need it to, the 250 just ensures it!

I'd do the most HP you can afford. Not trying to spend your money but did the exact same thing you're doing and have some regrets. I came from a 20' bow rider that did 50 mph. I explored a G series with esp and a 250 (which we could of afforded) and ended up being conservative (sps w/200 etec)  because I was uncertain how well I'd adjust  to a pontoon, as it was the wife's idea. I wasn't sure how long i'd keep it! I only had to sign and pick up my Yamaha 242 limited S. I can assure you're making a great purchase and if you're anything like me you'll love the new boat as we do ours, you just might end up with PADS like some of on here, me included.  If you plan on leaving it in the water all summer, I'd also recommend shark hide, I'm sure you can find some threads on here in reference to that option. Welcome aboard and Happy Boating!

Oh Yeah, just remember if you buy a 300hp you can always pull back on the lever to slow down!!!! Going the other way not so much!

Okay... Please don't laugh at my novice question. What is PADS?

I think I'll let the seasoned pros explain that one! I had asked the same question! :lol:

Okay... Please don't laugh at my novice question. What is PADS?

PADS= Pull a Derrick Syndrome. Derrick (BulldogsCadillac) bought 3 boats in under 3 years. Hence: Pulling a Derrick.

PADS= Pull a Derrick Syndrome. Derrick (BulldogsCadillac) bought 3 boats in under 3 years. Hence: Pulling a Derrick.

Funny... I am trying to talk the wife into a new boat this year. I would like a bigger motor.

I'd do the most HP you can afford. Not trying to spend your money but did the exact same thing you're doing and have some regrets. I came from a 20' bow rider that did 50 mph. I explored a G series with esp and a 250 (which we could of afforded) and ended up being conservative (sps w/200 etec)  because I was uncertain how well I'd adjust  to a pontoon, as it was the wife's idea. I wasn't sure how long i'd keep it! I only had to sign and pick up my Yamaha 242 limited S. I can assure you're making a great purchase and if you're anything like me you'll love the new boat as we do ours, you just might end up with PADS like some of on here, me included.  If you plan on leaving it in the water all summer, I'd also recommend shark hide, I'm sure you can find some threads on here in reference to that option. Welcome aboard and Happy Boating!

Honestly, the top end really never was very important to me as I spend most of my time cruising at lower speeds. What will be key is the ability to give tubes, skiers and wakeboarders an exciting ride when the situation presents itself. Sounds like we have similar boating history so I'm getting excited about this move. Hopefully 250 will be enough because 300 might be over-kill 90% of the time for us.

We're buying off the showroom floor and the rig does not have shark hide so will have to investigate an after-market option. I would love to be able to store it on a lift but that is not possible at this time.

Have them put the shark hide on before they put it in the water.

Congrats and enjoy the new boat,  The 250 will perform very well.

Jack

Well, sold my open bow boat for 85% of what I bought it for ten years ago so I'm a very happy camper right now! Lasted all of five days on Craig's list.

Took a my first trip aboard a Bennington on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed. Not the model or engine that we're purchasing but pretty close. It was definitely a hit with the family, including the wakeboarder son, although he thinks his 360 days are over.

Interestingly enough, the dealer still felt the 250 was a waste of money on a 2574 but I'm still going to do it. The 200 we demo'ed was pretty impressive but we only had five adults on board with no gear or skier. Trying to avoid PAD!

Unfortunately, no shark skin is available through the dealer so that is a no go. Guess I better brush up on toon maintenance and do my best.

I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions. Other than "docking" (I read that thread), I'm real excited to transition to the pontoon world of boating! I'll post some pictures once we splash it in late May/early June. I look forward to future discussions on this forum!

Back