New toon thoughts

I strongly suggest you have someone sharkhide before you put it in. Especially, if it's going to be stored in the water. I've heard others say it's pretty easy to apply to new toons. 

So I'm curious Michiman......  What lake are you on?

I too sold my open bow quickly and transitioned into the toon life, I just couldn't risk being under-powered, luckily my admiral let me choose the power plant.

I just bought our 2575 rsb from Wilson on Lake Chemung between Brighton and Howell Michigan, which is where she will be found all summer long starting mid May.

Well, sold my open bow boat for 85% of what I bought it for ten years ago so I'm a very happy camper right now! Lasted all of five days on Craig's list.

Took a my first trip aboard a Bennington on Saturday and was thoroughly impressed. Not the model or engine that we're purchasing but pretty close. It was definitely a hit with the family, including the wakeboarder son, although he thinks his 360 days are over.

Interestingly enough, the dealer still felt the 250 was a waste of money on a 2574 but I'm still going to do it. The 200 we demo'ed was pretty impressive but we only had five adults on board with no gear or skier. Trying to avoid PAD!

Unfortunately, no shark skin is available through the dealer so that is a no go. Guess I better brush up on toon maintenance and do my best.

I want to thank all of you for your input and suggestions. Other than "docking" (I read that thread), I'm real excited to transition to the pontoon world of boating! I'll post some pictures once we splash it in late May/early June. I look forward to future discussions on this forum!

I would seriously look into Sharkhide. You don't have to have the dealer do it, many club members on here do it themselves. Check out their website and it has application instructions and although I've never done it myself, it seems pretty easy. Biggest thing is having the toons clean first, if yours are still new then it should be simple. 

Congrats on the new purchase, and a 250 is definitely a great choice for that boat / usage. 

So I'm curious Michiman......  What lake are you on?

I too sold my open bow quickly and transitioned into the toon life, I just couldn't risk being under-powered, luckily my admiral let me choose the power plant.

I just bought our 2575 rsb from Wilson on Lake Chemung between Brighton and Howell Michigan, which is where she will be found all summer long starting mid May.

We're on Houghton Lake (well, a couple of blocks off, actually) where I've been going for over 50 years. It's an easy drive for us from Lansing, large enough to keep it interesting and is familiar. 

I think I have seen your new boat on-line. Very nice! Wilson's has a great selection but I decided to go through the local dealership at the lake as I am not purchasing a trailer. I actually work in Howell so I am somewhat familiar with your lake but have never actually been on it. Enjoy!

Where in Howell? I live on Thompson lake. PM me if you don't want to post here. 

I agree with posters above, get dealer to put sharkhide on before the boat sees water, even before the test ride.

Also, if you decide you need more torque or HP for your water sports, you can upgrade your 250 to a max of almost 325 by sending your ECM to simonmotorsports.  The 250 and 300 are the exact same engine accept they have different mapping in them.  I have been in touch with a couple other people that have this done (I do also) and when their motor was put on the computer at the dealer for service, they could not see this modification.  You are not adding any HP to the engine that it was not designed for, this because those engines are the exact same.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with posters above, get dealer to put sharkhide on before the boat sees water, even before the test ride.

Also, if you decide you need more torque or HP for your water sports, you can upgrade your 250 to a max of almost 325 by sending your ECM to simonmotorsports.  The 250 and 300 are the exact same engine accept they have different mapping in them.  I have been in touch with a couple other people that have this done (I do also) and when their motor was put on the computer at the dealer for service, they could not see this modification.  You are not adding any HP to the engine that it was not designed for, this because those engines are the exact same.

Scott1, thanks for the tip on the engine. We'll see how it does but having that option is very cool. I've heard of people doing similar things but never even considered the idea until now.

Well, the dealer won't do the sharkskin and won't let me do it on their premises. Without a trailer and the better part of a week (based on curing time and two coats as has been mentioned in another post), I don't see how that is going to happen.

I'll be honest that after reading the post on keeping the toons clean, I'm seriously questioning a pontoon at all. I'm a guy that kept my previous boat immaculate and stored indoors unless it was being used, so the prospect of having anything less than shiny toons and a boat that looks brand new even after ten years, is very depressing. 

I guess I never really noticed other people's toons before but I'm sure going to be painfully aware of mine now. My wife said we can go back to fiberglass if this is really going to bother me, but after the sea trial I was hooked. I've got a day or two to make a final decision, but I'm wondering if I'm just getting too worked up. Maybe I can live with a yearly acid wash.  

PADS= Pull a Derrick Syndrome. Derrick (BulldogsCadillac) bought 3 boats in under 3 years. Hence: Pulling a Derrick.

Or, Pontoon Acquision Disorder Syndrome.

Either works.

Well, the dealer won't do the sharkskin and won't let me do it on their premises. Without a trailer and the better part of a week (based on curing time and two coats as has been mentioned in another post), I don't see how that is going to happen.

I'll be honest that after reading the post on keeping the toons clean, I'm seriously questioning a pontoon at all. I'm a guy that kept my previous boat immaculate and stored indoors unless it was being used, so the prospect of having anything less than shiny toons and a boat that looks brand new even after ten years, is very depressing. 

I guess I never really noticed other people's toons before but I'm sure going to be painfully aware of mine now. My wife said we can go back to fiberglass if this is really going to bother me, but after the sea trial I was hooked. I've got a day or two to make a final decision, but I'm wondering if I'm just getting too worked up. Maybe I can live with a yearly acid wash.  

Do you have an auto or boat detailer nearby? Maybe they would like the work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some dealers ,rent trailers . 

I boat on a very fresh water lake, I do have the sharkhide.  I also notice the people that don't their toons are not very dirty, they just don't hold the shine.  I have seen pics of some discusting looking toons, but I think they boat on mud lakes or something.  I think it will depend on your body of water.  I would not let that deter me, these Tri toons ride better than bow riders on rough water, and you have a nice Tri Toon, you will love it.  I pull up someone on one ski with 6 or 7 adults in the boat.

This sharkhide stuff is getting out of control.I also take real good care of my boat. Actually, my wife says I take better care of the boat than her. But that's a discussion for another day. Most people won't even notice that your toons are not as shiny as the bumper of your car. They will notice the top side every time! Of coarse that's only my observations. So get that Benny and don't ever have to be mad at yourself later.You'll never find a better riding boat.Best of luck !

This sharkhide stuff is getting out of control.I also take real good care of my boat. Actually, my wife says I take better care of the boat than her. But that's a discussion for another day. Most people won't even notice that your toons are not as shiny as the bumper of your car. They will notice the top side every time! Of coarse that's only my observations. So get that Benny and don't ever have to be mad at yourself later.You'll never find a better riding boat.Best of luck !

Yeah, it would be nice to have the protection but I just don't see it happening. I'll just have to clean them up each week as much as possible. I'm thinking a good long-handled marine brush to help keep them clean while at the sandbar. Thanks for the encouragement!

Even with the Sharkhide ,I still wipe them down weekly @ the Sandbar .Slime will still build up .

It is  PIA to get between and then some wise guy goes flying by in a no wake zone when I am underneath 

Yeah, it would be nice to have the protection but I just don't see it happening. I'll just have to clean them up each week as much as possible. I'm thinking a good long-handled marine brush to help keep them clean while at the sandbar. Thanks for the encouragement!

I tried the brush ,I have had  better results using a car wash mit on each hand 

Back