Northern Michigan Fall Colors

Very nice! I should make it clear that this is my least favorite time of the year. Colorful leaves mean that the boat is put away for the year. :(

My least favorite is winter .Our average snow fall is listed at 120 inches .We had 220 in 2014 

My least favorite is winter .Our average snow fall is listed at 120 inches .We had 220 in 2014 

Understood (but difficult to comprehend)! Us folks down south wouldn't know what to do with all of that stuff. Come on April!! 

I am originally from the Detroit area ,moved up here  knowing of the snowfall amounts .Everything else ,makes up for it .

Every time we go downstate ( last week )  ,I realize how much more we like it up here . Downstate ,you can taste the chlorine in the water ,smell the exhaust fumes in the air and the traffic is ridiculous .Most driver's need their phone surgically removed from their ear .

Agree Jack, after being in the communications [business phone systems] I am amazed at how much I want to drop out of the rat race.  Most of the time I don't even bother carry my cell phone

Agree Jack, after being in the communications [business phone systems] I am amazed at how much I want to drop out of the rat race.  Most of the time I don't even bother carry my cell phone

I carry mine ,but leave it turned off . Turn it on when I need it .

I cant believe how many more leaves have fallen since I took those pics .Its going to get worse with rain in the forecast for the next few days .

We are seeing some good colors now. A couple more weeks and it will be perfect.

Based on past experience ,a couple more weeks ,I will be plowing snow . :lol:

Stop that crazy talk, Jack. My plow is buried behind a bunch of crap in one of the barns.

I am not prepared for that kind of talk.

In 2014 it snowed on Halloween ,and stuck until spring .That is the year ( 14-15 season )  we got 220 inches . That is why I have to be ready . :D

Besides you are still a few hours south of me .

In 2014 it snowed on Halloween ,and stuck until spring .That is the year ( 14-15 season )  we got 220 inches . That is why I have to be ready . :D

Besides you are still a few hours south of me .

Plus, Frankfort will have the protective effect of the Big Lake (for a little while longer). I hope.

Probably not "a few hours south," but certainly more southern.

Indian River: 45.41335° N, -84.61142° E

Frankfort: 44.63436° N, -86.23426° E

Wish I know how to convert all these numbers.

I found some gps coordinates for fishing spots on lake St Clair.....when I tried to search using them they were all over the place.

Dont forget the lake effect snow .We have lake effect rain in the forecast today .

Other thing with the snow totals ,is that we are about 8 miles south east of Nubs Knob and Boyne Highlands .

When they start making snow and the wind is blowing my direction ,we get even more .

This is from 2014 .That street lamp is 6'6" high .

/monthly_2016_10/large.1sn.jpg.9a6336848f6d349fae210e52c7d91361.jpg

Just saw the local  weather ,we have from 1-3 inches of wet snow predicted for overnight Wednesday into Thursday morning 

And so it begins....crap.

This will be the earliest ,since we have been here .( 2004 ) 

Hopefully I turn some leaves red this weekend. I have a turkey tag and an antlerless tag burning a hole in my pocket.  

Did our "color" tour last weekend and was pretty disappointed. Headed through the Cadillac area and then north to Lake City and then across to Houghton Lake. Many of the trees were bare or past their prime. I spoke to someone who said it went pretty fast this year in that area.

Of course, the real reason for our trip was to retrieve our batteries from the dealer and make sure that all of the warranty work was completed. Hopefully we should be good to go come April 2017.

Did our "color" tour last weekend and was pretty disappointed. Headed through the Cadillac area and then north to Lake City and then across to Houghton Lake. Many of the trees were bare or past their prime. I spoke to someone who said it went pretty fast this year in that area.

Of course, the real reason for our trip was to retrieve our batteries from the dealer and make sure that all of the warranty work was completed. Hopefully we should be good to go come April 2017.

The Lake Michigan coast still has some color. But true, it did go quickly. Not the best year for color tours.

Now, the rain today will likely spoil the rest.....

At least we did not get the snow as predicted ,Yet 

Back