Our First Night Boating Experience

SnakeByte

Reaction score
My wife and I had our first night boating experience last Saturday evening and it was incredible!  I could do that every evening if there were time.

We left our slip around 7pm and returned around 11pm.  We had incredible weather and calm waters.  Our boat is slipped on the Yahara River, downstream of Lake Monona.  We left for our destination, the University of Wisconsin Union Terrace, which is located on Lake Mendota.  This involves going across Lake Monona, up the Yahara River, through the locks, and partly across Lake Mendota.  In words it sounds like a long trip, but in reality it's not bad at all.  In addition to being our first night boating experience, it was also our first time going through the locks!

It was a fun experience overall, we even got to try out the Ice Blue LEDs which I surprised my wife with.  She was the one who actually wanted them.  Those and the chrome logo were the only post order changes we made.

Can't wait to do another night outing...here are some pics.

Satellite view of the Madison lakes to give you some perspective.

med_gallery_5614_596_646346.png

Satellite view of the lock between Lake Mendota and Lake Monona

med_gallery_5614_596_422517.png

Approach the lock via the Yahara River.

med_gallery_5614_596_120845.jpg

The Monona Terrace, a Frank Lloyd Wright designed convention center on Lake Monona

med_gallery_5614_596_1371432.jpg

Pics of the Bimini Ice Blue LED...very glad we added these on...give off a great mood light while still allowing me to navigate.  I did turn them off when I was navigating tighter section of the the Yahara River, just to keep my vision at it's peak.

med_gallery_5614_596_347424.jpg

Nice!

When did they put the locks in??? Swear those didn't used to be there...

I lived there for a summer many years ago. Lived across the street from the beach on Monona bay. Loved Madison!

Nice!

When did they put the locks in??? Swear those didn't used to be there...
Lock and Dam was originally built in 1899, but updated in 1959!

I lived there for a summer many years ago. Lived across the street from the beach on Monona bay. Loved Madison!
Cool. Yeah we really love Madison and now with our new Bennington get to enjoy more of what makes it so great!

Very nice! Great pics! Love the lights..........

Didn't know you could use them while underway...........

Great pics. Night boating is great.

Lock and Dam was originally built in 1899, but updated in 1959!
Just how old are you kaydano?

Love night cruising, it's the best

We're on a wide, deep section of the Tennessee River.  On warm Summer nights, we just back out of the boathouse and run 3/4 mile or so out in the middle of the river channel--and just float for hours.

From time to time, we might motor back up river a little bit after the current and/or wind blows us away.

And sometimes we spend as much as $3 gasoline in the night's running.

Very nice! Great pics! Love the lights..........

Didn't know you could use them while underway...........
I believe the Bimini lights are ok...but I've not spoken to a sheriff or seen one while having them on. Would be curious if anyone else has had any issues running the bimini lights.

Outside the boat lights are probably more of a concern as they may distract/obscure Nav lights.

Anyone else have experience in this area?

I think with the lights being up under the bimini that you're ok. It would be like a cabin cruiser with the interior lights on.

I would talk to the sheriff and/or water patrol to see what their interpretation of the rules. 

Hey fellow Wisconsinite! Wow! Those are great pix from that perspective! I love that building, beautiful to see at night and from the water! (had a guy walk past us last night when we were at our marina and it was dark enough to see the bimini LED's, which we used for the first time. The guy commented how cool they were! I think so too!) (We go to the Milio's in Verona. Love the #4 turkey sub! ;)  )

Sounds like a great night. Thanks for sharing. Makes it that much harder waiting for ours to come in. :D

Cheers, Steve

Hey fellow Wisconsinite! Wow! Those are great pix from that perspective! I love that building, beautiful to see at night and from the water! (had a guy walk past us last night when we were at our marina and it was dark enough to see the bimini LED's, which we used for the first time. The guy commented how cool they were! I think so too!) (We go to the Milio's in Verona. Love the #4 turkey sub! ;) )
#4 is my wife's go to...we live 1.5 miles from Milio's in Verona.

We should grab a drink next time you pass through.

There has been some discussion about the side lights and navigation lights on this forum.  I have been out many Saturday nights and I know the Sherriff saw us the night of 4th of July at the fireworks but he never pulled up to us

I have specifically drove up to lake officials in both the Ozarks and on two of our Lakes in Iowa and asked this question, non had an issue with my side lights. If you are doing something shady, they will use it as an excuse to pull you over. Honestly it depends on the mood of the officer. Sort of like having no covers on your additional lights on FWD vehicles (a.k.a KC highlights). Some cops will pull you over for it. Others will let it go because the lights are not on.

Nice Pics!  I enjoy night cruises also.

Back