Outboards vs IO

Mark649

Reaction score
Any general thoughts on outboards vs IO. Would enjoy hearing from folks that maybe have had both and hear the plus and minues

Thanks

fresh water I would opt for io. saltwater outboard. too many problems with boot problems in a saltwater application. I have had both and io always had more problems.

I have my first outboard now, and love it a lot. I also have a direct drive inboard and love that a lot too. Both are loved for reasons of seviceablity. I/Os are a pain in the a$$ to service. Unless you like standing on your head and doing everything upside down in tight spaces. I have had many I/Os. Worst of both worlds in a nice package of marketing.

i have owned i/o's in the past, and JeffS is right, maintenence is a pain! Never again will i own an i/o.

And beyond that, i feel the power to weight ratio is much better with an outboard.

I've had two inboard outboards, and they're fine the first 6-7 years.  When you have to service the bellows and/or universal joints they can be a serious pain.  Although the engines are truck/car based, I/O's don't have the lifespan of a straight inboard--like a Correct Craft or old ChrisCraft.  Most I/O engine problems are because of a lack of winterization, however.

I moved to a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke on a StarCraft in 1985, and got 28 good years' service out of it--til the lower unit burned up for a lack of maintenance.  Had I been changing lower unit grease and having the lower unit pressure/vacuum tested, I wouldn't be a Bennington owner today.  Only thing I ever did was change filters every few years and spark plugs yearly.

Modern outboards are just so danged good, and I see no reason to go I/O on a tritoon boat.  Wear it out, and you can have a new motor installed in 2 hours.

You can keep the outboard and put it on the new boat when PADS sets in.

Personal preference.Have had my I/O going on it's 8th season and love it! Only way I'd get rid of it is if something unfortunate would happen to it. I'd consider an outboard if I ever get another boat....................

All good input here.  Really comes down to personal preference.  Outboards are great for power to weight ratio, easy of maintenance, shallow water capable, flushable and able to tilt completely out of water if you are worried about salt, brackish, or waters infested with zebra mussels, etc.  Some people think they are eyesores.  Some people love the sound of what a good small or big block sound like.  Others enjoy I/O's for ease of engine upgrades (cams, intakes, heads, superchargers,etc)

I can also see where a I/O is not so "stressful" as in a V hulled boat where a leak at the gimble mount or other failure below the waterline would cause the vessel to sink. Your middle tube will fill to the 1st bulkhead forward of the leak but she would not be on the bottom of the lake is such a failure occurred.

Outboards in a pontoon are the "norm" up in my region.  I think I have only seen 1 or 2 I/O's ever.  While I would not chose one for my power option, I can see why those that do and can't fault their choice.  Weigh the options and make the best choice you can.

Good Luck

Todd

I don't have a lot of experience to argue this question but I will say that the pontoon boats that have IO are a cooler look and would be especially desirable with rear facing lounges

They may look good, but I prefer to stand straight up when doing annual maintenance--oil and filter change.  I don't care to wallow around on my belly.

The new I/O's also have catalytic converters which I'd prefer to stay away from.  I would think those things would put out some serious heat.

I think all the upsides to the outboard has been hit. I love how quiet they are compared to my last IO.

Cheers, Steve

Back